Too good to be true?

13 Sep

The day’s just half an hour from being over.  Jade is asleep.  Michael is in bed.  I should be, too, but I just had to pop on while the computer is free to say that TODAY may have been Jade’s FIRST SEIZURE-FREE DAY since the end of May!

Nothing will happen in the next twenty minutes to change that, right?

(!!!!!!) (inexpressible happiness)

About these ads

14 Responses to “Too good to be true?”

1. Kara September 14, 2008 at 6:57 am #

Hurray! Here’s hoping that becomes the norm in your household!

2. Simply Shannon September 14, 2008 at 7:08 am #

Yay! I hope that the streak continues.

3. Lisa September 14, 2008 at 1:06 pm #

Hi! I just got caught up on your last few posts and all that you had to say about the ketogenic diet. Elisabeth has been on it now for 4 weeks (tomorrow). She is far from seizure free, but I do believe that we have seen a reduction in how many we see. In fact, my husband and I didn’t see any yesterday. But we could have missed it. We are using the diet to control her infantile spasms….and those can easily be missed if you are in the next room doing the dishes or something. I mean, realistically, I can’t stare at her 24/7. But the diet has worked some. So now the question will be, is that enought to continue on? Or should we keep trying different medications until one is successful?

It’s hard to be a parent and face all of the questions, isn’t it? And it’s even harder to watch our little ones go through so much.

I am glad that your little Jade had a seizure free day and I hope that they continue on!

4. Marian September 14, 2008 at 3:43 pm #

Yippee!!!!!!!

5. Amanda MacCaskell (Previously White) September 14, 2008 at 7:07 pm #

Hello Fawn,

I’m another one of those people who reads your blog from time to time. I’m Rachell’s friend — we met in Vancouver before Rachelle’s almost wedding to he who shall not be named.

You’re a very entertaining and candid writer. I wanted to say hello and your life seems to be rich, full of diversity. Things have finally settled for me, after years of moving, school…. school…. school…. and working through the seniority pole at the Vancouver School Board. So, I do appreciate the lovely letters you sent me years ago when I was at UVic. I just wasn’t in a position at that time to get back to you. So, here I am. Take care, and your daughter looks like a well loved and adorable tot. Hope you stay well,
    Amanda

6. Nem September 15, 2008 at 8:57 pm #

Yeeeeeee! (Yay, yipee and hurray were taken…)

7. Jean September 16, 2008 at 8:43 am #

Hi Fawn:

Thanks for visiting Annie’s blog–let me tell you that her seizure freedom is serendipitous: in June we started weaning off of the keto diet because it conflicted with her Addison’s medicine, and as we were going off of the diet, her seizures stopped. The keto diet keeps blood sugar low, and her Addison’s medicine (hydrocortisone) keeps her blood sugar high, or normal. So it seems that the keto diet actually brought on more seizures in her case, because her Addison’s meds would spike her blood sugar. Does that make sense?

The reason I went on the keto diet wasn’t necessarily that she was having seizures, but that I wanted her to be able to quit her seizure medicine. But, again, what seems to have happened is that the keto diet wasn’t good for Annie because of the opposite goals of the diet vs. the Addison’s medicine.

Anyway–hope that helps explain her situation.

Jean

8. Mamasphere September 16, 2008 at 5:30 pm #

That’s wonderful! Keep us updated. Now that it seems the medicine is working, are you still planning to do the diet? And, really, considering how sick she’s been and how tired her body must be, this is really truly great news.

9. Bubblybunny September 17, 2008 at 4:51 am #

Congrats! I hope it was truly a seizure-free day for your little Jade!! :)

Thanks for the encouraging words on my breastfeeding post. I do have a midwife and I did go to a lactation consultant, but I’m still having a difficult time with it, mainly because I still find it painful. Initial latching is still as painful as before but the feeding itself got a little better. But I’m still not convinced breastfeeding is for me (see my latest posts). I’m trying out different things to find the right balance for both me and the baby. I don’t want to give up breastfeeding; at the very least, I want my baby to benefit from the breastmilk.

Anyway, speaking of breastfeeding, little Hiccup is ready for another meal. TTFN!

10. Bubblybunny September 17, 2008 at 4:53 am #

Oh! I know why my last comment didn’t leave a link to my blog! I went to your website while logged on to wordpress myself. It didn’t give me the option to leave a link like I do now when I am not logged on. That’s really odd!!

11. emuleman September 17, 2008 at 7:35 am #

So Happy to hear that! We are hoping that it will continue. Best wishes from our family to yours.

12. shannon maccuaig September 17, 2008 at 10:23 am #

Rock on, little Jade, Rock ON!!!! :D

13. jyl @ mommygossip September 17, 2008 at 6:48 pm #

I am soooo happy for you! I can’t imagine everything you are going through. What a wonderful mother she has :).

14. Tine September 20, 2008 at 1:17 am #

I’ve been a little behind lately, but now, FINALLY, the good news made it may way, too … I’m SO happy for you guys & sending best wishes for MANY, MANY more days like that one !!

Lots of love !!