The world got turned on its head this afternoon and I’m still rather stunned.
Last Wednesday, I sent an e-mail to the neurology team at BC Kids asking some urgent questions about what to do about Jade’s constant seizures. Because of a mix-up, we didn’t get a response until today, even though Dr. Huh actually wrote her response before the weekend. We had one of the worst weekends of our lives (as you all know), and I called again this morning hoping for some answers.
We ended up getting four phone calls from neurology. The second one is the one that’s left me stunned. That’s the one where they told us that a space opened up and they can put Jade into the ketogenic program next week.
The question really wasn’t whether or not to get Jade down to Vancouver next week. We’ve been asking ourselves how we could possibly survive another month like the last couple of weeks, so getting Jade into the program right now is truly an answer to our prayers.
The question was whether or not I should go down, too, given how pregnant I am. I want to be there. It’s important for me to be there to learn how to calculate the meals and implement the diet at home. Also, let’s face it, if I had to stay behind, I would go absolutely insane. Jade’s doctors want me there, too, if at all possible.
The good news is that my “official” due date on the doctor’s records is later than what I’ve been writing on the blog because it was never corrected based on the ultrasound. So after talking to midwife Heather (and getting some Vancouver midwives’ phone numbers just in case) we’ve decided that it would be best if we can all stay together, if it can be arranged.
Jade will start the diet on Monday.
UPDATE: Yukon Medical Travel was in touch with Michael this afternoon to say we can pick up our itinerary from Marlin Travel tomorrow afternoon. That means we’re all going for sure! Yeee-haw!