The last belly pics

11 Nov

I hit 39 weeks last Friday.  Yesterday I saw Dr. Gudapati because she wanted to follow up after my Vancouver hospital stay.  Why is it that I always weigh more on the doctor’s scale than at home (180 lbs on her scale, 175 at home)?  It can’t possibly be that my home scale isn’t particularly accurate, right?  Nugget’s heartbeat was a happy 145 bpm and after talking briefly with the doctor, I was on my way to finish running errands.

I felt so great when I got home last night that I got Michael to do some long-delayed belly shots; it’s the first time in a while that I’ve really felt like smiling.  I’m pretty sure these are the last ones because there are signs this morning that Nugget will make his or her entrance later today.  Including that contraction I just had…

nugget-on-november-10
nugget-on-november-10-21nugget-on-november-10-3nugget-on-november-10-4

When Michael took it, I said I wouldn’t post the naked belly picture, but that I wanted it for myself and for Nugget.  I told him it was because I didn’t want to traumatize any poor women who’ve never been pregnant; that war zone of stretch marks might cause them to run, screaming, from their computers.  But really it’s because all these months I’ve felt self-conscious about those stretch marks, which have gotten steadily more spectacular week by week.  I’ve never had a bikini-worthy midriff, but with this pregnancy, there really is no hope of that, ever.  Looking at the picture, though, my belly doesn’t look so bad to me.  This is what happens when I carry this kind of precious cargo.  And I wouldn’t trade that for the world.

8 Responses to “The last belly pics”

1. Mr Lady November 11, 2008 at 11:12 am #

I think your belly looks perfect. I totally don’t see any stretch marks, and even if I could, SO WHAT? They’re your roadmaps to motherhood, yo. ROck’em.

2. allmycke November 11, 2008 at 11:17 am #

Roadmap to motherhood – what a wonderful expression! I agree 100% and I hop you’ll never again feel self-conscious about your belly. Bikinis are over-rated in any event and being a Mom is far more important than being able to show off less than ½ square meter of fabric!

I’ll be checking your blog for news all day tomorrow!

3. Catrina November 11, 2008 at 11:49 am #

Can’t wait to hear all about the new arrival!

4. Kara November 11, 2008 at 12:21 pm #

Your belly looks amazing! Can’t wait to meet nugget!

5. Jenny November 11, 2008 at 2:08 pm #

You are really carrying out front, (I guess that’s how you’d say it! Your stretch marks look way better than mine! I have about a 2 inch gap across my spine that is stretch mark free but the rest is a mess, at least they fade! Really, would a bikini get much use in the Yukon?
    I’d say the Dr’s scale is inaccurate!
    Can we guess the sex?? I say boy!

6. mommy bee November 11, 2008 at 3:27 pm #

My belly is well-striped too. Sometimes I get a little wistful about it, but then I remember the beautiful baby that came of it…our bodies are all going to get banged up a bit as we live life, and hey, if I’ve got to have scars, at least they can remind me of good things, right?!

And I agree with the commenter who said you don’t have much use for a bikini up here anyway. I mean, really! I’m nearly 1000 miles south of you and *I* have no use for one here!!

7. Lara November 11, 2008 at 10:29 pm #

What a belly! Fabulous and fantastic, glad you took a few more shots before it is all gone! Going to place my bets on Nugget right now.. best of luck Fawn! Hugs!!

8. Heather November 14, 2008 at 9:44 pm #

Hay Fawn…You really made being pregnant look gorgous :) I never got much of a road map from the twins but I ended up with the perfect pillow for them to rest their weary heads on!! And after a full year it’s not getting any smaller…by the way Nugget was born one day after the twins’ first birthday!! :):):)