One of those days

27 Jan

Some days you just want to curl up in a corner and give up on everything. It’s not just me, right?

When I dragged myself up the stairs this morning, Michael, who was just as sleepy as me, asked me if he’d put Jade to bed last night.  I thought back.  Michael had had to work out of the house all day yesterday and then went to band practice in the evening, so suppertime and bedtime were particularly rushed and chaotic.  Nope, I was the one who put Jade to bed.  Turns out I forgot to give Jade her medication last night.

Jade is often zombie-like in the mornings.  She seems to feel the same way we do about being dragged out of bed at 7 a.m. (I know, I know many of you get up much earlier) but this routine of making her get up for breakfast seems to be the main thing that has helped with getting her to sleep at night.  It’s not fun watching her staring — and often drooling — during breakfast.  Jade was particularly unresponsive this morning, especially after a drop seizure slammed her into the spout of her sippy cup, giving her a huge bump just below her right eye.  I was so upset and angry I wanted to slap her and shake her just to MAKE HER WAKE UP.  It’s been a long time since I’ve felt that angry.  But I realized that I was angry with myself; if I could have shaken and slapped myself, I would have.  I was angry about the sheer negligence of missing her medications and I was angry that there’s nothing I can do to just maker her normal again.  This morning I just wanted to cry about how unfair it all is.

Jade’s favourite part of breakfast is generally the fruit.  I often save the fruit for last in order to make sure she gets all her fat into her.  We’re low on fruit at the moment, but I found one pear left at the bottom of the fruit drawer.  I’ve never tried giving her pears since starting the diet because it’s one of the more sugary ones, which means she gets less of it by weight.  I was pleasantly surprised when I weighed it out that it didn’t look like such a small amount, after all (although you would think so, if you saw it).  However, I guess the sandy texture of the Bosc didn’t appeal to her.  She ate one piece and then chewed a second but kept it in her mouth.  Nothing I could do could induce her to swallow it and she was more zombie-like than ever.  I was afraid that if she didn’t swallow it until later she’d get a sugar spike in her system.  So finally I gave up and told her to spit it out.  Funny enough, she complied right away.

And, wouldn’t you know it, she perked right up.  She usually does pick up energy once her breakfast kicks in, but I was so scared about her missed medication that I thought she might spend the whole day in a dazed stupor.  Instead, she’s playing in her toy kitchen, happy as a clam.

Maybe I can carry on, after all.

About these ads

8 Responses to “One of those days”

1. Gen January 27, 2009 at 10:07 am #

There’s this Jewish proverb that says something like: because God can’t be everywhere, he created mothers. It’s telling us to be loving and compassionate of course, not perfect. Yet, we always seem to expect foremost the latter of ourselves, why is that? : /

2. Jenny January 27, 2009 at 11:24 am #

That feeling when you realize you forgot the medication! PANIC MODE!
    I’ve been about 2 hours before. The first time I was ever late was Isaiah’s first day of school this year, lots going on. Like I said in another post, yet another reason medication is NOT easier! You’d never forget to feed them! At least not all day! (I’ve been an hour late or so on meals when Naomi went to 4 meals a day!)
    There’s also a certain sickness that comes when they’ve not had their meds and yet are perfectly fine! Makes you wonder the pros and cons to the meds. What they need and what they can go without.

3. Kara January 27, 2009 at 11:45 am #

Well dear you make my bad morning seem lame in comparison :)

Don’t worry! You guys are still new to all of this. Maybe you need to make a little sign that you post on your headboard in bed to remind yourself about her nightly meds? I have to write everything down right now; pregnancy is destroying my brain, especially my memory!

You are a great mom and don’t forget that!!

4. Barbara January 27, 2009 at 12:13 pm #

Bless your heart! Sure you can. And will.

5. stephanie January 27, 2009 at 3:41 pm #

dear friend, my sister has grown up with the same thing, she is in her thirty’s now and we are having such a dang hard time. The medicine makes her stay in bed or she gets up and shakes, trembles a lot. I am in Alaska and she is in Calif. My mother and I are trying to fugure out what to do next, the meds stop some of the siezures but she is till having bad drop attacks. I remember her at your daughter’s age. reading your psot gave me a jolt, a heart jolt! she has some brain damage and some disabilities too. I know my mother in her high 70’s would like some sleep too! bless your hearts! I am going to research that diet.

6. Nemmy January 27, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

xoxox… I don’t have anything to add that can possibly be of help, but I wanted you to know I was here and am thinking of you.

7. Sue January 27, 2009 at 9:21 pm #

Ugh, don’t beat yourself up. All you can do is the best you can. I’m sure the sleep deprivation isn’t helping your memory at all. This same scenario happened too many times this summer when I was getting used to my third baby in the house. Forgive yourself…

1. All’s well that ends well « Fawnahareo’s Place - January 27, 2009

[...] 27, 2009 by fawnahareo After our rough start to the day, it was time to do something brave: I decided to head to the library with both [...]