Pure joy

29 Jan

I really wanted to blog last night.  I really did.  But I couldn’t because Michael was busy on his computer AAAAALLLLL day and all evening, too.  And I couldn’t use my laptop because when I tried to, I got the evil Blue Screen of Death three times in a row.

AAAAAAHHHHH!

Apparently, a series of brownouts in the morning fried our router (no more wireless in the house for us for a bit) along with my computer.  I don’t even want to think about several hundred photos that I never got around to backing up.  Waahhh!

But actually, the post that I wanted to write last night was a good one.  A happy post.  So you’ve got to know that it must’ve been a pretty terrific day to overshadow the deadness of my laptop.

What made me so happy?

It was a beautiful sunny day.  Halia was napping, so Jade and I bundled up (but not too much because it wasn’t very cold) and went out.  I dragged the sled, but Jade wanted to walk.  We walked at a nice, normal toddler pace.  Jade chased Nanuq.  She explored the woods off-trail.  She picked herself up from the ground after her many falls (not from seizures, but from stiff boots in slippery snow).  She didn’t want to come back inside after Michael phoned to say Halia was up and needed feeding.

In short, Jade was like a normal toddler.

Let me say it again.  She wanted to walk.  We walked at a normal pace.  She explored off-trail.  She was able to get up when she fell.  She still had energy at the end of it all.  (So Michael knocked off early and went out with her.)

For a “normal” mom, this would have been a pleasant afternoon.  For me, it was pure joy.

Pure joy.

About these ads

8 Responses to “Pure joy”

1. Jenny January 30, 2009 at 2:37 am #

We had a great day yesterday too!

2. Marian January 30, 2009 at 3:12 am #

Fabulous….you all needed a day like that. Hope there are many more.
    xxooxx

3. Barbara January 30, 2009 at 4:54 am #

And woohoo to you, too, Fawn, ’cause you RECOGNIZE what’s important.

So if your router is fried, your photos are just sitting on your laptop, right?

And in lieu of wireless, can you hardwire your laptop to the server pc? Can you say ethernet?
    Not that I know anything about all this. chk.

4. Opa January 30, 2009 at 11:25 am #

The photos definitely should not be fried, even if the rest of the laptop were toast, which is rather unlikely. Bon appetit on that.

As a rule, laptops are very tolerant towards brownouts because they tend to have universal power supplies. I can plug mine into 110 or 220 V and it won’t give a hoot. But unless your service entrance got a direct hit by a lightning bolt, it is unlikely that all the little ones on your hard disk fell over and curled up into little zeroes, so your pix should be just fine.

As for Windoof that may be another matter, but that can be fixed.

5. Shannon Mac January 30, 2009 at 12:26 pm #

:D

6. SassySandra January 31, 2009 at 9:19 am #

Intersting… We just got a new Apple Airport Express, and it didn’t seem to want to work last night.

HUMM.. I think my router may be toasted as well. Not too happy about that, but what can you do?

I have contacted the apple dealer in town to see what he has to say. We only bought it at Christmas.

Take care Fawn!~

Sandra.

7. Peaeater February 1, 2009 at 12:56 pm #

Invest $100-$200 in a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to protect from surges, blackouts, brownouts and dirty power.

8. Mike Rosenfeld February 1, 2009 at 7:20 pm #

That is awesome that Jade wanted to walk on her own and be interested in the world around her…I am very happy for you!