Your life is easier than my life

12 Apr

This attitude is a pet peeve of mine. It annoys the hell out of me when I hear comments like this, whether it’s directed at me or at someone else. That other guy over there has it better because he’s got more money. She’s got it easier than me because she’s so pretty. He’s got a cushy job. She’s only got one kid.

WHATEVER.

Image from believe-toachieve.tumblr.com

EVERYBODY’s life is hard. We all take on as much as we can, and then we take on a little bit more, don’t ask me why. Even if you live the simple life, there’s not enough time in the day to do everything you want to do, and there are always outside demands. We are all struggling to find balance. We are all battling our own particular demons. We’re all fighting to stay on top of the day-to-day stuff. Even the kids. They are busy learning their own hard lessons.

Occasionally, I’ve encountered the opposite, with someone telling me she feels better about her own life because mine is so hard. Particularly when Jade was suffering countless seizures in a day, it was kind of a silver lining to know that some people might appreciate their own blessings a little more. And there are families I feel the same way about, who make me draw my girls a little closer and send up a little prayer of thanks.

I just recently had an epiphany, though.

Although I was doing a good job of reminding myself not to compare my life to anyone else’s, I was still falling into the trap.

Jade has been on the keto diet for over three years now. It’s done amazing things for her. And I am grateful. So grateful! I remember thinking, when we were in the thick of things, “If only we could make the seizures stop, life would be so much better again. Things would be easier again.”

And it’s true. I am so glad we aren’t holding our breaths all the time, waiting for the next seizure to hit. There is a lot of tension gone.

But guess what? Life isn’t easy right now. I have all sorts of new things to worry about these days. Not complaining: that’s just life.

And until this epiphany hit me, if you could read my thoughts, you’d have heard this one a lot, “Things will be so much easier when we can finally be off the keto diet.” In other words, I was looking at my future self and thinking “Her life is easier than my life.”

It’s true. There are things that the diet is preventing us from doing. Like taking Jade to Germany or to Taiwan to visit my family, for example. Or even going on extended road trips because I can’t bear the thought of all the preparation that has to be done in advance.

When keto becomes history in our daily life, I will not be sad to let it go. And life will be easier. In one sense. But I’ll bet there’ll be new things to balance and new challenges to forge through. Because that’s life.

So maybe I need to stop wishing we could be done with the ketogenic diet and just start appreciating, a little bit more, the blessings I have in my life now.

And thank God I am the capable person that I am.

About these ads

11 Responses to “Your life is easier than my life”

1. Cristina (Bertrand's Mom) April 12, 2012 at 11:45 am #

YES! Thank you, Fawn! I am in wholehearted agreement. :) Everyone does the best they can. Comparisons are rarely, if ever, helpful. Another great reminder to live in and enjoy the moment. :)

2. wenttokugluktuk April 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Wonderful post, Fawn!

3. nitadances April 12, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Wow, Fawn. Just Wow. We are all doing the best we can. Our best will change depending on everything else going on around and inside us. Our best will be different when we are sick than when we are well. And I love what you said: “We all take on as much as we can, and then we take on a little bit more, don’t ask me why. Even if you live the simple life, there’s not enough time in the day to do everything you want to do, and there are always outside demands. We are all struggling to find balance. We are all battling our own particular demons. We’re all fighting to stay on top of the day-to-day stuff.” Well said, my precious friend!

4. Bubblybunny April 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

Great post!! The problem is that when we get over one hurdle, we fill the “hole” with new challenges. That never stops. It’s what makes us human. It’s what makes us better than those cute monkeys that run around all day scratching themselves in obscene places and chant “Hoohooohooo!!!” ;)

5. bethany April 13, 2012 at 6:03 am #

Reblogged this on Daily dose of gratitude and commented:
    Great post about something we ALL tend to do. Let’s be grateful instead!

6. slklesko April 13, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Great post! We all have our battles, no matter how it might appear otherwise.

• fawnahareo April 13, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

Yes! Especially given how we try so hard to at least to appear in control!

7. andrea April 20, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

Well said.

8. 2funky April 29, 2012 at 6:48 am #

I read this piece when you first posted it, I smiled, I nodded. And then I went on with life. But it stuck. I have, many times since reading it, stopped myself from playing the compare and contrast game. It’s amazing how easy it is to begin the competition with a snide comment about how much more challenging your own task/event/activity/life is. And it helps no one – thank you for calling me on it!

9. laurie June 17, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

wow…a google search brought me here and it’s just what I needed to hear! Thank you for challenging me.

10. laurie June 26, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

Thanks for leaving such sweet comments on my blog. I need to try some of your examples. I fixed my email address so it should work now. Contact me anytime, I’d love to chat with you. laurieanne1@sbcglobal.net