En route

7 May

I’m sitting in the International wing of the Vancouver Airport. There’s a little oasis here, with a stream, grasses growing along the edges, a footbridge from which small children can throw coins, a giant salt-water aquarium, and comfy chairs all around.

I have quite a nasty head cold and am grateful for the sinus-clearing drugs that allowed me to stave it off long enough on Saturday that I had a fantastic show, and that allowed me to land in Vancouver this morning with trepidation but no pain.

I am off to meet my parents in Oslo. It will take all day today and a good chunk of tomorrow to get there. I’ll be gone for 10 days. I’m excited, but melancholy all at once. Yesterday as I was packing Jade’s lunch, I was getting teary thinking about leaving my girls for so long. And I very nearly cried when my plane took off this morning. I am a suck.

I know Michael is perfectly capable, and yet I feel bad to leave him to parent both girls and try to get his work done. (Although I do the same thing. But my work doesn’t pay the bills. It just barely pays for itself. Yet.)

I just had a Skype talk with Michael and Halia, so I feel a bit better.

My Oma will be in Oslo, too. I haven’t seen her in a couple of years and I’m really looking forward to giving her a great big hug. I wish I’d thought to ask the girls to make a card for her before I left home.

This is my life today. Chaotic, disorganized, and exciting.

And my kids will be fine.

About these ads

6 Responses to “En route”

1. Tine May 7, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

Don’t worry, Michael will do a great job taking care of the girls :) – & you’ll be back with them waaay soon !!

So – have a safe trip, &, of course, a great time in Norway :) (so exciting) !!

Lots of love from Germany !!

♥ ♥ ♥

2. nitadances May 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

It’s always hard the first time you leave your kids. They will be fine. You will be fine. Michael will be fine. (((hugs)))

3. Nemmy May 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

Aww, I shoulda thought you’d be at the airport and come by to give you a hug myself. Have an amazing trip… I’ll be thinking of you and will be there in spirit. xoxoxox

4. michaelpealow May 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

As I said to Fawn, at LEAST 2/3 of us will survive.

5. captainmomma May 7, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

I was just coming on to see when you were leaving! Have an absolutely fabulous time! I can’t wait to see the scenery! Sooo envious, I can’t wait to go there, someday!

Kelli

6. Bindhurani May 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

I know, leaving kids at home while traveling will make moms guilty. It is ok because, you need to see your family too. Time will sure fly faster than you think. You will be back soon. Hope to see more posts when you come back.