“After Yukon” by Hank Karr

23 Jan

My neighbour Katherine was kind enough to babysit Jade for a couple of hours tonight so that I could go and have a little jazz piano lesson. It sure was strange to be back in the student’s seat again, after so many years just as an accompanist, performer, and even as a teacher. But fun!

Besides coming to babysit, Katherine also happened to have Hank Karr’s CD “Where Do You Go After Yukon”, so I took a few minutes to jot down the lyrics to share with you. According to the liner notes, the piece is based on a song called “After Texas” written by M. Johnson and B. Jones (can’t find any info about them online, though…) and the words are written by Hank Karr.

Enjoy!

Where do you go after Yukon?
What do you do after Yukon?
You’re just foolin’ yourself
If you think there’s something else
‘Cause there’s just nothing left after Yukon

Been through BC and Vancouver
Saw the beautiful scenes
I liked it
Been out through Alberta caused the famous Stampede
And I liked it
Whatever you’ve got I likely have seen it
I don’t like to brag, but Cheechako, I mean it
There’s just nothing there to halfway compare
To Yukon

Refrain

I’ve lived in the Maritimes
That Newfoundland rock
I liked it
Ontario thrilled me with Blue Jays and Skydome
And I liked it
The prairies their wheatfields all golden aglow
Their women are pretty, they stand all alone
‘Cause they’re only a dream to a Can-Can routine
In Yukon

Refrain

Parlez-vous le français
In beautiful Quebec
I liked it
I cheered on those Habs to win Stanley Cup
And I liked
The NWT and its arctic serene
Nunavut our newest territory
Brings me back to my book of memories
In Yukon

Refrain

Where do you go after Yukon?
What do you do after Yukon?
There’s only one place I know
That I want to go
Heaven’s where I’ll go
After Yukon

7 Responses to ““After Yukon” by Hank Karr”

1. Julie January 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm #

I just got into Toronto from Whitehorse this morning…and i cant get this song out of my head, all i want to do is go back! Hank Karr is right on it with this one!

2. Zori Lefrancois March 24, 2009 at 7:23 pm #

Hi,
    I discovered this song of HanK Karr this week end,
    and I loved it immediately.

I’m looking for the guitar chords of this song.

If you find it, could you send it to me?

I should be very happy, to get it.

3. Stefan Niederer December 22, 2009 at 9:54 am #

Hi,
    I thank you very much for these lyrics. I made a trip through Yukon and thw NWT in august 2009. For showing the pictures I’ve took I searched some songs from this great land, so I found this lyrics and it was great the hear the song and sing-a-long with it. If you’re interested in the pics and/or the videos you can find them on my website here: http://sniederer.k-i-s.ch/2009.08/index.html and http://www.datacomm.ch/sniederer/downloads.htm

Stefan

4. Brian May 5, 2011 at 8:52 am #

Does anybody have the music chords for Hank Carr’s After Yukon. Like for Willie P. Bennett and other Canadian artists it is hard to find tab or chord web sites that carry their songs. And you can’t count on American music web sites to carry Canadian artists music unless they are big names like Gordon Lightfoot and Neil Young.

5. Kay Brownless April 3, 2015 at 4:47 am #

I’m from Australia. I heard Hank Karr sing “Where do you go After YUKON ” on 3rd JULY 2014. “I liked it ” (it was my birthday, and the band played Happy Birthday to me.) one of the happiest experience I have had. I loved it. I bought the CD and play it nearly every day.

6. Nick Oppegard March 3, 2017 at 6:41 pm #

As a musician and Alaskan, I can only cheer with all of those who recognize Hank’s ability to poetically reflect the spirit of the north, where the Yukon flows . . . .
    Keep it up, Hank. We love it.
    Nick Oppegard . . . an old drummer who enjoyed laying down a soft beat to Hank’s music, when I had the privilege from time to time.

7. Monique Pelletier May 11, 2018 at 7:44 am #

I would like to buy the CD with After the Yukon on it. I can’t find a place who sell the CD. Can you help me. I live in Quebec, Quebec city is my town. If you can help me I am very appreciate. I hope a response from you. Sorry for my English but my language is the french. I can read the english, Thank you for your time and have a nice day.