Is this even allowed?!

29 Jan

Temp on Jan 29

This is what our thermometer read at around 7:30 this morning.  It doesn’t even matter if you want to read in Celsius or Fahrenheit, since -40 is where the two scales meet.  Whatever system you use, this means it’s friggin’ cold!

When we encountered weather like this in Fort Liard, it never really bothered me.  We could still go for (somewhat abbreviated) walks with Nanuq by bundling up properly, and it was fun watching the smoke from the houses tumbling down onto the road instead of rising up in the air.  But in Fort Liard we never had to try starting our car at -40 (well, I did once, and as a result broke the lever that was supposed to open the hood…) and there was no small child to bundle up, either.

In this kind of weather, one has to decide if it’s more dangerous to have a child bundled up in bulky clothes and therefore not truly secure in her carseat, or to have her secure in her carseat but in serious danger of freezing if something happens along the way to the destination.  On “normal” cold days, we just put her in a couple of fleecies and heap blankets on her lap.  But on a day like today, I bundle her up and hope that everyone drives extra carefully…

8 Responses to “Is this even allowed?!”

1. Murray January 29, 2008 at 10:11 am #

I’ve noticed on my last couple of trips to town that a LOT of people are just staying home. The clerk at Canadian Tire was incredulous that I’d go out “in this weather!” for just bird seed 🙂

2. fawnahareo January 29, 2008 at 10:48 am #

Yeah, the YTG parking lot seemed pretty darned empty this morning, but maybe everyone’s getting a ride in like I did, ’cause all my co-workers seem to be here. Although I think I might’ve skipped the bird seed, too! 😉

3. Penhall January 29, 2008 at 10:58 am #

I do find it funny that what used to be considered ‘the norm’ for this time of year is seen as something extraordinary.

I remember Rendezvous growing up it was usually bitterly cold — standing on the street bundled up watching the bed-races or when you drove your vehicle down ONTO the river to watch the dogsled races.

… but having said that, -40c is still brrrrrr.

4. fawnahareo January 29, 2008 at 11:06 am #

Well, Geo, maybe we’re just getting soft in our old age. 😉 Tee hee. Wow, I’m imagining everyone driving their vehicles onto the Yukon River without a second thought. I’m pretty sure it was still open in the middle last week (and probably still is now). Hey, maybe we can multiple weeks of this and kill off the spruce beetles…

Even still, I’d rather spend a dry winter here than the damp kind we got in Ottawa. Brrr! The misery of that damp cold reaching through all your layers of clothing!

5. Peaeater January 29, 2008 at 12:05 pm #

Where would I go “After the Yukon”? How about someplace where the Celsius and Fahrenheit scale have a standoffish relationship, nay, a court order that prohibits them from coming within 50 degrees of each other? Why don’t you set your thermometer to Kelvin? The numbers will always be positive, which will help you feel warm (-41.5 Celsius is a roasting 231.5 Kelvin), and think of the excitement as you watch the numbers dip down to absolute zero!

6. Chelle January 29, 2008 at 12:21 pm #

Man. Dat cold.
    I was thinking how very, very bad it would be for the Vitreous humour in your eyeballs to freeze.
    Wouldn’t it just expand, being mostly water, until your peepers would burst and ooze like beer bottles left in the freezer?

Yum.

7. fawnahareo January 29, 2008 at 7:17 pm #

Are you eating cheese before going to bed, Chelle? Or are you just searching desparately for any kind of humour, vitreous or otherwise, given the lack of shut-eye?

You know, January in the Yukon in Carharts and furs is still a heck of a lot warmer than walking from, say, Parliament Hill to Ottawa U in a mini-skirt and knee highs. But who would do a thing like that…? 😉

8. asheya January 29, 2008 at 8:33 pm #

Thanks for the car seat safety link. I didn’t know about the whole snowsuit/thick clothing issue. Although this now makes going out a lot more complicated…cabin fever, here I come!