Morning on the run goodness

19 Feb

I was so hepped up after band practice last night that I was actually dancing with my iPod as I was getting into my PJs, but by morning, that energy had worn off.  I was sore this morning after yesterday’s kicksled adventure, and sore muscles make me feel tired.  So I laid in bed for an extra half hour and got up too late to have breakfast.

Normally this isn’t a big deal, because normally I have my freezer stocked with my secret oops-I-slept-in-and-need-breakfast-on-the-run weapon: waffles.  They’re great to throw into the toaster oven, cooking up while bags are packed and children (okay, child) are bundled into winter gear.

Don’t be mistaken, though.  These aren’t your average Eggo waffles, oh no!  These are homemade, substantial, fiberlicious, healthy and yet flavourful waffles that I often eat with no toppings whatsoever.  Mmmm!

After several years of coveting, I got a waffle iron this summer ($5 in a moving sale!) and waffles are now one of my favourite weekend projects.  They’re great to make for a crowd (we used them for the big brunch we had for the Big Band last weekend) because, unlike pancakes, they’re still good after they’ve cooled off, especially if you smother them in berry sauce, fruit, maple syrup and/or whipped cream.

I made up this recipe based on a few different ones I found online and the first time I made them at home for just me and Michael and Jade I had quite a few leftover.  The sudden inspiration to freeze them (with waxed paper between the individual waffles to keep them from sticking together) turned out to be a Godsend, as they are now my morning-on-the-run staple, often accompanied by a yogurt smoothie.  It’s so sad that I finished the last frozen waffle last week.  I ended up buying a egg and cheese bagel sandwich in the cafeteria.  Tasty, but expensive on both monetary and dietary budgets.  I guess we’ll have to have waffles on the weekend.

This recipe doubles well.  For the brunch I pre-mixed all the dry ingredients to save time in the morning.

BANANA WAFFLES
2 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp wheat germ
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup oil or melted butter (I usually use corn oil)
1 mashed banana
1/2 tsp vanilla

Berry sauce is a great topper on days when you’re not on the run.  Use fresh or frozen berries, add enough water just to cover, bring to a boil, then simmer until berries are soft.  Add a bit of sherry and sweeten to taste while it’s cooking.  (I like to use maple syrup.  Michael never adds any kind of sweetener, though, and it’s still good.) A few minutes before serving, thicken up the sauce using tapioca starch (mix a tablespoon with some water and add this mixture to the hot sauce) or cornstarch if you don’t have tapioca starch.  Cornstarch will make the sauce less clear, but not less delicious.

6 Responses to “Morning on the run goodness”

1. Stacie February 20, 2008 at 12:37 pm #

Holy crap, I’m drooling reading that…

2. Nita February 21, 2008 at 2:26 pm #

I was going to ask you for your waffle recipe and here it is! Yum!

3. shannon February 22, 2008 at 10:04 am #

i’m going to try to find a waffle iron this summer (i love yard sailing) and if/when i do i hope i can find your recipe again! sounds yummy!!!

on a separate note, i see you used frozen berries for the sauce. i’ve been reading that frozen fruits/veggies are superior to *fresh* in off seasons because they are frozen at the peak of freshness whereas to buy fresh, they were probably picked before ripening and have been losing nutrients while getting to you, etc. i’m LOVING having frozen stuff in the freezer; i find the veggies mixes make amazing stir-fries!!!

and last but not least: what? no yogurt smoothie recipe???? 😉

4. SassySandra February 22, 2008 at 12:13 pm #

Thanks for the great recipe Fawn. They were very good, and I will be making them again.
    What I do with frozen or fresh blueberries is put them in a small saucepan, cover them with maple syrup and let them heat through. Very, very good.
    Thanks again!

5. fawnahareo February 22, 2008 at 7:18 pm #

SassySandra, wow, that sounds good! I’ll have to give that a try this weekend.

Shan, yes, I’ve learned the same thing about frozen veggies and fruits. Our diets here would be a lot less balanced if it weren’t for a stockpile of frozen stuff. The smoothie recipe is coming, I figured two recipes was enough for one post. 🙂

6. shannon April 9, 2008 at 11:46 am #

i think i’m going to try this recipe soon, though i don’t have wheat germ, but i’m going to sub that with ground flax seeds, which will probably be healthier anyway!

i’m also wondering what kind of flour you use (i’d like to use a healthier version if possible)

oh yeah, and i’m hoping rice milk will work (until i start maggie on natrel)…

shan