The benefits of a tidy house

25 Mar

Yesterday morning, Jade and I were home alone because Michael was out spring camping with his brother and Norris and Nanuq.  I wasn’t at all ready to get up when Jade was, so I spent the first few hours of the morning reclining on the couch and on my bed while Jade played.

She had decided to put on her “Squeaky Feet” shoes, so I could hear her, even though we weren’t in the same room.  I could also hear her talking to herself, and some occasional thumps as she moved things around.  I did get up to check on her occasionally, but didn’t do anything to interfere with her fun.  By the end of my lollygagging, she had removed almost an entire set of “Children’s Nature” books from the shelves and piled them on the floor, pretty much in the main drag that leads to the stairs.  Instead of putting them away, I simply shoved them aside as we went upstairs to find a snack.

That sets the stage.  Next comes the part where the boys came back from their camping trip.  We looked at pictures of their adventures and Michael praised Nanuq for working so hard pulling the kicksled, which Norris rode most of the time because he’s got a gimpy knee these days.  As a reward, Nanuq had been given two big chunks of salmon and a goodly portion of steak.

At some point fairly late in the evening, I suddenly remembered that today was a work day, which meant packing lunches and such.  Hey, it’s been four whole days since this work thing happened; who can blame me if the routine was a little off-kilter?  By the time I finished packing lunches (which I’d had to actually cook, since there were no leftovers from our extremely mediocre A&W supper-on-the-run) I flopped into bed, forgetting to put Nanuq to bed in his crate.

So, what do you get when you have a pile of books on the floor and a dog full of unfamiliar people food and free to roam the house at night?  Well, Michael can tell you all about it because he stepped in it as he was coming upstairs this morning.  Dog diarrhea.  Multiple deposits.  Most of them strategically placed on the heads of highly educational grouse, moose, bears, butterflies, and other defenseless wildlife unable to run away, bound as they were to the pages to which their likenesses were affixed.

The good news was that these being hard-cover books, some of them could actually be salvaged.  It even gave me the opportunity to disinfect them, something I hadn’t done before, even though I’d bought them in a yard sale, and what was I thinking not disinfecting these books before, which might carry small pox or the plague, for all I know?  Thank goodness Nanuq crapped all over them and rectified that little oversight.

Alas, not every book could be saved.  Some of the effluent came in contact with not just the covers, but with the edges of the actual pages; these I did not even attempt to rescue.  Fortunately, only three books had to go.  Grouse was one.  Alligators and woodchucks was another.  How sad that these noble creatures are now extinct.  At our house, anyway.

And so, I am once again reminded as to why having a tidy house is so much preferable to an untidy one.  Wouldn’t you rather clean dog poo off the rug than off a pile of children’s books?

8 Responses to “The benefits of a tidy house”

1. Beanie March 26, 2008 at 12:24 am #

LMAO! Oh Fawny, you’re brilliant! And very, very patient… 🙂

2. Stacie March 26, 2008 at 7:14 am #

Ooh! I was hoping he had done it on hardwood or linoleum! Not the rug!! Ew, I think I’d just be chucking those books out.

3. fawnahareo March 26, 2008 at 9:44 am #

But then I would have had to throw out about 20 books, and some of them only had some very minor, um, splattering on them. I don’t think you’ve seen our basement before, or you’d know we’re not the type to throw out good books.

Don’t ask me why Nanuq *always* chooses the rugs and carpeted areas to get sick on. It must be more comfortable than the linoleum or something. I admit it didn’t do much for my already very queasy tummy.

4. Nemmy March 26, 2008 at 2:29 pm #

Hehehe… now you have a tag for “poo.” Classic. (Yes, I am amused by this. Perhaps you’ve had this tag before. But I only noticed it now.)

5. hmcahyo March 26, 2008 at 9:50 pm #

nice blog and writing 🙂

and i think everyone like a tidy house.. but with three children in a house .. sometimes just like a mad keep the room tidy..

__

warm greeting from indonesian blogger 🙂

can you drop to my blog if you have time 🙂

i have 200 words tags – i write in english

hmcahyo.wordpress.com

6. shannon March 27, 2008 at 9:33 am #

how do you sanitize a book? i actually *just* learned about sanitizing in general. i know, that sounds REALLY REALLY BAD but what can i say. i didn’t know you were supposed to clean stuff and then sanitize it! then again, the sanitizing stuff out there is getting bad reps for creating superbugs, so i guess in a way its good… but i just started sanitizing my counter before cooking (or after) and i spray some vinegar and then some hydrogen peroxide and wipe everything. i’ve read over and over again that it does a better job than the stuff you buy anyway, plus it is SOOO much better for our health and the environment….

7. MommyTime March 27, 2008 at 4:45 pm #

This is gross. And completely hilarious. And something that would TOTALLY happen at my house — assuming I lived in a place with that much snow, and that my Rhodesian Ridgeback could pull a sled, and that my Husband knew how to drive one… but you get the point anyway. So sorry you had to go through this, my dear!

8. Marianne March 28, 2008 at 12:01 pm #

Lol! This is exactly why I don’t have a dog! It’s enough work cleaning up my daughter’s poop, and at least I can look forward to the day she can manage that herself 🙂