Audience participation: name the baby

2 May

So I have about two brain cells left now that it’s the end of the week, but I don’t have the energy to get them close enough to rub them together.  Therefore, it must be time for YOU to send ideas to me.  After all, I’ve been told to take a break, and somebody‘s gotta pick up the slack, right?  Right?

I’ve been thinking that I need some kind of nickname for this baby I’m busy gestating, but can’t seem to come up with anything interesting.  Maybe because it requires more than two brain cells to rub together.  My sister-in-law Lindsay calls her little one “Bun” (due to arrive any day now!) and my cyberpal IndyComp0T1 calls hers “PK” (which stands for “Potential Kid” and is the name she and her hubby have been using since they started thinking about getting pregnant — love it!).

The nicknames I see most frequently online are Peanut and Little Bean; Peanut just seems too generic and Bean was actually what I’d been calling the little bean I lost in November (privately, as in, in my own head).  I just can’t bring myself to reuse it.

So whaddya say, dear readers?  Got any creative ideas for me?

16 Responses to “Audience participation: name the baby”

1. Lindsay May 2, 2008 at 3:49 pm #

Hmmm. With Alex we called her “sesame” – the size she was when we found out about her. She was also known as “karate kid” for obvious reasons. Gavin was my little “boxer boy”. And even though we do call this baby “Bun”, Alex has chosen to call him/her “Baby Belly”. Perhaps Jade will help you name the baby as you grow with your angel.

My friend is pregnant right now with her first and she always talks about the baby being like a cute parasite so she calls him “Perry”.

When I was little I had a doll (ok I still have it) that I affectionately named “Kid”. And I remember Michael used to say if he got a dog he’d name it “dog” so why not name the babe “kid”?

2. Nemmy May 2, 2008 at 4:11 pm #

Pickle? (S/he’s kinda pickle-shaped…. kinda….). Or burr? (‘Cause s/he’s stuck to you like one…). Pea? (S/he’s like a little pea in a pod).

I’ll keep thinking. I’ve got the Friday giddies…

3. Meandering Michael May 2, 2008 at 4:35 pm #

“Nugget”. We are in the Yukon after all, and the kid IS going to be as good as gold (even if it will end up costing more per ounce).

4. Beanie May 2, 2008 at 9:58 pm #

Awww… I’m with Michael. How cute is that?

5. Lindsay May 3, 2008 at 3:27 am #

For the first time, I agree with Michael. Nugget, just perfect!

6. MommyTime May 3, 2008 at 11:10 am #

I love Nugget. Son was The Lemon (the size he was when the group of students I was leading through Italy found out I was pregnant). I have a friend who uses a different name each week with hers, one week a boy name, the next a girl, trying out for one week at a time all the names they’re considering using. This week Colin, next week Violet, etc. That’s a good plan, too, if you can’t come up with a nickname.

7. Marianne May 3, 2008 at 4:03 pm #

I’m also in favour of nugget.

Maya was quite simply “baby”. Yeah, real creative, I know.

I’ve also heard “Thumper” and “Bam Bam” — both because of the unborn child’s love of pummeling mom from the inside.

8. McMommy May 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm #

I like Meatball.

Or Coconut.

Or Banana.

(again, why do all my names refer to food??)

9. Meandering Michael May 4, 2008 at 7:13 pm #

McMommy – just think of “nugget” as “Chicken McNugget”.

10. IndyComp0T1 May 5, 2008 at 7:20 am #

I definitely like Nugget. Very fitting!

If that doesn’t tickle your fancy, try going for something that reflects your German and Chinese heritage. For example, one girl in my pre-natal fitness class nicknamed her kid “Ahi” because she (the mother) is half-Japanese and likes sushi. Cute and creative. 🙂

11. Peaeater May 5, 2008 at 9:29 am #

Trilobite.
    Corndog.
    Hapablap.
    Son of Blob.
    Salmonid.
    Wombsneezer.
    Accompanied Minor.
    Larva Bee.
    Lord Snug the Teeny.

12. Stacie May 5, 2008 at 1:13 pm #

Great name suggestions! I LOVE Perry (as in parasite!!) Lindsay, that is too funny. 🙂

Nugget is a good one too!

13. shannon May 5, 2008 at 1:29 pm #

sure hope you like nugget fawn… but in case you want to go against *everyone* else, i’m voting for pickle!

14. Beanie May 5, 2008 at 5:47 pm #

You know, with Peter’s personality, I’m amazed that Evvy got off as lightly as she did with “Flipper”. Then again, that’s probably the exact same list that was run (and vetoed) by Chelle… 😉

15. kara May 7, 2008 at 10:17 am #

I referred to our son as wee-spawn while I was pregnant! People that I was a little odd…. But I think it is cute. Wee (also like little and we as in me and my hubby), Spawn (as in evil offspring, and also like fish!). So it covered all of the bases.

1. And the winner is… « Fawnahareo’s Place - May 7, 2008

[…] sooo glad Michael’s popular suggestion didn’t keep y’all from continuing to share your ideas. I jestingly chided him for killing the comments by having such a great idea too early in the game, […]