A horrible morning

23 May

We just got back from the hospital and are having a bite of breakfast before heading back there again, where Jade will be spending 24 hours under observation.

Jade had a seizure this morning as she was lying in bed with us. She’d woken up crying at 6:00, which happens on occasion, and I’d gone into her room knowing she wouldn’t go back to sleep. I asked if she wanted to come into the big bed with us. She lay between us, not sleeping, but quiet, chattering a little every once in a while. I was snuggled up to her when I felt her start twitching. At first I wasn’t too panicked because I’ve read that kids can have seizures without it being a big deal, but Michael was already on the phone with the 911 dispatcher when Jade’s lips and fingers started turning blue, her eyes rolled back, and her arms convulsed. It probably only lasted a few minutes, but felt like an eternity. Afterward, she was lethargic and out of it, and she didn’t even notice the paramedic who was cradling her on the ride to the hospital.

The best guess right now is that she had a febrile seizure due to a fever (although her fingers were cold before the seizure started, so I’m not completely convinced, but the doctor said it could’ve happened as her temperature was coming down). She has a severe ear infection in her left ear, which could be the cause, so she’s on antibiotics to treat that.

I’ve got to run and pack. Update soon…

12 Responses to “A horrible morning”

1. IndyComp0T1 May 23, 2008 at 9:46 am #

Oh dear! I hope everything turns out okay for you guys!

2. Stacie May 23, 2008 at 11:12 am #

Oh, how scary!!! Hope everything is ok, what a scary experience that must have been for you guys. Poor thing, keep us posted…

3. Kara May 23, 2008 at 11:29 am #

That is extremely scary! I held an Inuit baby up north while she was having a febrile seizure because of a fever. It was so horrible. But it is very common up there because a lot of parents don’t take their kids in to the nurse when they are sick.

Sure hope it all turns out okay!

4. Tine May 23, 2008 at 11:31 am #

That really sounds horrible – I feel so bad for you guys !! I’m thinking of you – & hoping that everything will turn out okay, & that poor little Jade will feel better soon :/

Best wishes !!

♥ ♥ ♥

5. shannon May 23, 2008 at 11:32 am #

oh fawn, that’s so sad! i hope you are all okay; please give jade, michael and yourself a big hug from us!

i know this isn’t really the time, but i also know i’ll forget if i don’t mention it now: i am like you in that i don’t like antibiotics (though i’m NOT like michael in that i DO like taking supplements). but i just wanted to let you know, in case you don’t already, that you can counteract the negative effects of taking antibiotics by replacing the good bacteria in the intestines. they say yogurt is really weak in doing this, but there is an alternative to ‘pills’ as well. this product is really popular; hopefully you will be able to find in whitehorse!

hopefully this info will make you feel at least a bit better, even though antibiotics are obviously not the biggest concern here. i really hope she’s okay. i don’t know anything about seizures and kids. i had a seizure when i was 13 and i’ve never had one since; the doctors just shrugged their shoulders and life went on.

i’m sending you lots of love and positive engery! take care of yourself fawn!!!

6. baklavagirl May 23, 2008 at 8:28 pm #

Hope your baby will be fine.

Take care.

7. unnikuttan May 23, 2008 at 10:36 pm #

The morning does not sound very positive.I hope it will become better during the day.

8. zeynepankara May 24, 2008 at 5:36 am #

Hope all goes well with all of you. I am new here. And you have a nice space here. Hope you visit mine too, if you can find a little time. Have a good weekend, cheers, Zeynep.

9. sck7d May 24, 2008 at 11:55 pm #

I hope that u must be good health. I don’t know what doesn’t mean but I want to wish u good luck in ur job, success in ur life, happiness in ur family. Sorry Mrs. I’m new here.l live in cambodia.

Bye………………………..

10. Genevieve April 3, 2011 at 9:49 am #

I was thinking back to this very post this morning. Lili had a febrile seizure last night. Our hearts just sank living through it and I immidiately thought of you and how this whole adventure started for you. It most likely is just a febrile seizure, she’s fine today, but going through it made me relate to your experiences all that much more. Big hug, g. xox

1. The good and the bad « Fawnahareo’s Place - May 23, 2009

[…] 23, 2009 by fawnahareo One year ago today, Jade had her first seizure.  It’s hard to believe we’ve already been living with this […]

2. I’m five today « Fawnahareo’s Place - April 23, 2010