A very long day

23 May

I’m now home again, since we decided to have Michael stay at the hospital with Jade.  It seems they actually had a good time together there today, playing out on the patio of the pediatric ward, reading books, watching silly movies, and even getting a nap in.

After finishing work (which I finally managed to make relatively productive) I had the pleasure of going to the insanely busy grocery store to stock up on much-needed supplies; our fridge was all but empty.  By the time I got home, it was 6:00, which is when we usually eat supper.  The kitchen was in an abysmal state, so I tidied up and had sandwiches for supper while cooking up some chicken breasts to turn into snacks for Michael.  He and Jade had been served supper around 5:00, and he knew he was going to be hungry.

I got Jade’s playpen and some overnight supplies for Michael, then loaded Nanuq into the car, reinstalled the bike rack, and attached Michael’s bicycle.  I got everything lugged up to Jade’s room (on the second floor) around 8:00, only to find that our “very tired girl” wasn’t tired at all.  Michael got out on his bike in the trails around Riverdale so that he could get a little fresh air after being indoors all day.  I napped on the bed in a vain attempt to get Jade to sleep in her playpen.  She played happily in there, alright, but no sleeping.  Apparently, the nurse came in.  I didn’t see her, so I guess I must’ve fallen asleep.  But Jade waved happily at her and said hi.

I was going to leave right after Michael got back around 9:00, but he said I should stick around.  So I did.  Jade was still going strong, in a very good mood.  Finally, I decided to call it quits at 10:15.  I tried to put Jade back into her playpen and she protested loudly.  Michael tells me she fell asleep two minutes after I left.  Apparently, she can’t sleep when I’m around.

Anyway, she’s behaving completely normally, eating well, and charming the pants off everyone, so I’m sure she’ll be home first thing in the morning.  The doctor from Emergency is referring her for an EEG (not sure what that is, and I’m too tired to look it up) in Vancouver, but it likely won’t happen for a month or two.  But we’re assured that it’s unlikely that Jade will have another seizure.  I’m okay to go with that for now.

Please pardon the lack of eloquence.  I am bone-tired, but since Michael and I have been pretty unreachable today, I wanted to make sure the latest news was up.  So don’t worry too much NaiNai and Gran!

7 Responses to “A very long day”

1. Mr Lady May 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm #

I miss ONE day, man. I’m glad she’s going ok. An EEG is those diodes on the head to monitor brain waves, I think. It’s and electro-encephalano-gram, or something like that. Painless, easy. EKG’s are the same thing on the heart.

When you’re down here, if you need company, holla, k?

2. Tine May 24, 2008 at 1:34 am #

Good Morning, Süße – I’m so glad things look a little better by now 🙂 !!

I’ll keep my fingers crossed, though …

♥ ♥ ♥

3. kara May 24, 2008 at 2:23 am #

Glad this has all had a good outcome!

4. Jamie May 24, 2008 at 2:47 am #

Hi Fawn,
    Oh my gosh, how scary this must all be for you! I hope this all turns out to be as the dr’s initially thought, just due to a fever. I had an EEG as a kid. One of my teachers had told my parents she thought I was having Petit mal seizures so I was tested for epilesy. As I remember it, they stuck a bunch of wires to my head (painlessly) and put me in a dark room. The worst part about it was they told me to think about nothing….it’s very difficult to focus on thinking about nothing!

5. Meandering Michael May 24, 2008 at 4:20 am #

They fed us at 4:30. What kind of a crazy dinner time is that?!

6. Gran May 24, 2008 at 5:43 am #

How can you tell a NaiNai and a Gran not to worry? That’s what we’re here for….especially being so far away.

Thanks for the update. Those darned ear infections.
    Trust me, you’ll get to know the signs. I took Tim to the doctor one afternoon. Hetold me Tim didn’t have an ear infection. We ended up at emerg that night….raging fever and horrible pain. The emerg doctor’s comment…”Why don’t doctors listen to mothers. They know best.”

Hugs and kisses to all of you.

1. The good and the bad « Fawnahareo’s Place - May 23, 2009

[…] Epilepsy Beast for a year.  It’s not fun to remember that day (and oh, how innocent I was, not even knowing what EEG stood for!) and we’re not really out of the woods yet, but at least we’ve found a way to fight […]