25 May

I’m home from yet another trip to the hospital.  Two, actually.  It was a beautiful day in Whitehorse today, sunny and around 26°C, even hotter in the sun.  All three of us got mild sunburns, not wanting to waste a minute of such a beautiful day.  I got great pictures of Jade in her bathing suit, playing in a huge Rubbermaid container that we repurposed as a wading pool.  It’s even ending beautifully, with a spectacular sunset of purples, pinks, oranges, and incredible cloud formations to distract me as I drove home.

The day started early again, but Jade was in good spirits.  She had a brief episode of involuntary arm twitching while Michael was chatting with a neighbour, but we weren’t super worried about it — just kinda something to add to the list for tomorrow morning’s follow-up doctor’s appointment, hoping it would speed up the request for the EEG etc. appointments in Vancouver.

Michael worked hard in the garden all afternoon.  He’s emptying all the soil out of the garden beds and the greenhouse, in anticipation of tearing it all down to build a bigger, better shed/greenhouse combo.  He kept working while Jade and I had leftovers for supper.  We were just finishing up and Jade was kneeling on her chair, holding her little glass of milk with two hands.  I was encouraging her to finish it, when her arms spasmed, spilling milk on the table.  She looked a little confused and then tried to bring the glass to her lips again.  Again, her arms shot out.  She tried a third time, and I gently took the glass from her as her eyes started rolling back.  I picked her up and cradled her as she went into another full seizure.

I knocked on a window to grab Michael’s attention and started hunting for a phone.  We’ve got 4 damned handsets, so you’d think there’d always be one handy, but I couldn’t find any of them and I was trying to watch Jade at the same time, to make sure she was breathing, holding her tilted to one side so that she wouldn’t choke on her own saliva.

Michael came in and found the phone and called 911 again.  They weren’t quite as quick as they were on Friday, apparently because Michael told the dispatcher she was breathing.  He had to repeat certain information a couple of times and sounded frustrated.  Once he got off the phone, I handed Jade off so that I could try to re-pack the bags we had just unpacked earlier (well, mostly) in the day.

To make a long story short, Jade has been re-admitted to the hospital and is going on anti-seizure medication.  I can’t remember the name of it, and the closest name I came up with apparently shouldn’t be used for kids under 18, but it was recommended by the pediatric neurologist on-call in Vancouver, so either I’m remembering wrong, or the wiki is wrong, or there’s just something seriously wrong and I’m trying not to get worked up into a lather.  (Aside: I wonder how many calls the on-call pediatric neurologist gets a week; talk about specialization.)

Michael’s cancelling his trip to Nahanni so that he can stay home with Jade.  Well, I use the term “home” loosely.  We don’t know how long she’ll be in hospital.  They’ll be monitoring the level of the drug in her blood-stream to ensure she gets just the right amount, so she won’t be released until that’s been fine-tuned and they’re satisfied that the drug is doing it’s job.  With the tiny amount I’ve now read about anti-seizure medication (not to mention Granny’s horrible experiences with the drugs) I’m anxious for us to get to Vancouver ASAP so we know for sure whether continuing with them is a good idea.

I’m exhausted, but I just have to add that I’m so grateful for all the support and love we’ve been feeling.  Tim’s right there for us, of course.  Cathy across the street made a point of coming over to talk when I got home from the hospital (the first time, I cam home to pack snacks and overnight things for Michael, since in the first rush with the ambulance, a few things were forgotten).  Then Tom, from next-door to Cathy because I’d been talking to his wife earlier in the day and he wanted to offer whatever help he could offer.  My friend James called from Saskatoon when he saw my Facebook status change.  And one of the pediatric nurses, a good friend of Marusia’s who just moved to Whitehorse from Vancouver suprised us at Emerg.  We didn’t evern realize she’d moved to Whitehorse, so we didn’t expect to see her there, but she said as soon as she heard the call for Jade’s chart, she had to be the one to bring it down to see if we were okay.  That might have made no sense to some of you, but I’m just too tired to proofread right now.  (Does “proofread” always look as weird to you as it does to me?)

I’m going to stick a load of Jade’s laundry in the wash now and then sink into bed.  Michael’s not likely to sleep much tonight, so I’m planning to relieve him early in the morning so that he can come home and sleep a few hours.  What a way to end such a beautiful day.

10 Responses to “Recurrence”

  1. Malva May 26, 2008 at 4:25 am #

    I had to comment after catching up on all the events… I never know what to say in situations like this. For sure tho, I’ll be thinking of your family!

  2. Marian/Gran May 26, 2008 at 4:48 am #

    Love you guys and thinking about you. Don’t want to call in case you’re actually managing to sleep, or of course you’ll be at the hospital. I’m in Mississauga with Granny until Wednesday. Take care of yourselves.

  3. MommyTime May 26, 2008 at 4:49 am #

    Oh, Fawn, I’m so sorry. I know nothing concrete about this kind of illness, so I cannot offer anything useful. But you will be in my thoughts all day. If there’s anything you need in the way of putting you in touch with experts, please let me know. I have a friend and a sister who both work for the U of Michigan hospital, which is a top five in the country research hospital full of big-time doctors. I don’t know any of the docs personally, but if you get to the point of needing referrals, PLEASE email me and I will see what I can help arrange. Sending many hugs and much support.

  4. Lindsay May 26, 2008 at 5:26 am #

    We are thinking about you guys. Wish there was something we could do. All our love.

  5. McMommy May 26, 2008 at 5:58 am #

    Fawn, you and your husband are amazing, strong parents. This is probably such a scary time, but you seem to be handling each new hurdle with strength and determination! Please give Jade a big hug from all of us moms out here in the blog world!!

  6. IndyComp0T1 May 26, 2008 at 6:01 am #

    I am so glad to hear that Jade is doing well now! It’s sure nice to have spousal help and support at times like these, especially with extended family being so far away. 🙂

  7. kara May 26, 2008 at 6:22 am #

    Oh gosh. I really hope you get down south quickly to speak with specialists.

  8. Trudie May 26, 2008 at 9:11 am #

    My thoughts are with you. Like Malva, I can’t find the appropriate words for this situation, just know good thoughts are coming your way from over here.

  9. Nita May 26, 2008 at 9:42 am #

    Call if I can do anything – cook your supper or anything at all to help during this stressful time. (((hugs))) Nita

  10. Jamie May 26, 2008 at 6:00 pm #

    We are all thinking about you right now! I passed the news along to my mom and sister, we are all concerned about poor Jade! I hope you wake up tomorrow and it’s all just a bad dream!

Leave a Reply to Jamie Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: