The numbers wizard

24 Jun

Jade’s current favourite book is Walter the Farting Dog.  Her current favourite song is “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” and she does her best to sing along, usually getting every few words like this: “stah… die-mun… sky!”  One of her current favourite activities is counting.

I was trying to finish my supper tonight when Jade insisted she was done.  I kept shovelling food into my mouth with one hand and started raising my fingers one by one with the other hand.  She stopped telling me she was “stuck” in her chair and was mesmerized by my fingers.  And she started, well, we’ll call it counting.  I had to work hard not to laugh.  I asked if she would count for the camera, so here she is:

She’s such a ham; she knows that camera is on her!  I love how she knows she should finish counting a hand with either five or ten and when I put up yet another finger she’s not sure what to do.  Um, four?  Hahaha!

Oh yes, and the clothespins on her t-shirt are such a fashion statement, no?  I took them out of my music bag, where I usually keep them for holding music onto a music stand when The Big Band does gigs outside.  Nothing sucks more than having your music blow away in the wind.  Anyway, Jade found them and wanted to wear them, so she got one on each sleeve and nine of them along her jeans cuffs.  The girl loves her bling.

It was a good day.  No seizures all day at daycare, and just a couple of really short twitchy ones in the evening.  And asleep by 7:30.  Oh yeah!

Thanks for all the great responses on the last post.  Some of them made me cry.  But in a good way.  I puffy heart you all.

9 Responses to “The numbers wizard”

1. Beanie June 25, 2008 at 11:14 am #

Walter the Farting Dog?… Well, okay then…

Maybe when Jade grows up she’ll want to be an accountant. Or maybe some sort of entertainer. Maybe both. Maybe she’ll have a TV (or stage) show where she helps teach kids how to count. Or read!

Or maybe her biggest goal in life will just be to own a flatulous dog… LOL

2. Meandering Michael June 25, 2008 at 11:26 am #

She’s already got a flatulent dog.

3. Beanie June 25, 2008 at 1:09 pm #

Maybe she’ll breed flatulent dogs then. And take them on tour! LOL

4. megan June 25, 2008 at 9:02 pm #

Adorable!

I would love to hear more about your Big Band experiences, too – such fun to run into another musician mom! I’m techically a classically-trained choir girl myself, but a little jazz here and there with a jazz band has always been a lot of fun.

Hope you can continue to find time for your music as your pregnancy progresses. I stepped away from my choir when my little guy was born and I regret that I haven’t made it back. Don’t let that happen to you!

5. Lindsay June 26, 2008 at 10:29 am #

AWWWWWW! This video made me cry just as much as it made me laugh. I just want to squeeze her…wish I could. Love you!

6. Carol June 27, 2008 at 8:00 am #

Very cute.

I can’t help but think Walter the Farting dog would be a huge hit in my household!

7. Shannon June 27, 2008 at 12:45 pm #

OMG – she is SO cute, I love that video. She’s so proud of herself, lol. We really adore Walter here too, we have the second book as well, he’s such a big hit 🙂

8. McMommy June 28, 2008 at 10:59 am #

I’ve seen that Walter the Farting Dog book on display at the library! Never checked it out for Matty though….maybe I should since Jade likes it so much!

Jade is adorable and I’m so happy that you had a GOOD day!!!

Happy POW!

9. bejewell June 29, 2008 at 11:31 am #

She is just beautiful. And clearly a genius, too. But keep that Farting Dog book away from my little Bean… he’s already been called a “toot-maker” by one of the kids at his day care… we really don;t need any help in that area.

Glad to have found you through POW!!