Naked baby

4 Jul

Michael’s out with Tim and I’m at home resting after having a short surgical procedure earlier today.  Being tired from the after-effects of the general anesthesia, Michael provided supper, exercised the dog, and did the bedtime duties before heading out for the night.  I thought I’d turn in early, but I always like to check on Jade before going to sleep.

I was rather surprised to find Jade curled up in her crib in fetal position stark naked.  Why would Michael put her to bed like that? I wondered, momentarily dazed.  Then I realized he hadn’t.  Her PJs were bunched up in one corner, her (wet) diaper was crumpled into a wad at the foot of the crib.  I reached in and felt the sheet.  Cold and wet.  Dang.

I got her out and diapered and re-pajamaed and changed the sheets and got her settled back in without too much fuss.  But I wonder why she did it.  Was her diaper too full?  (Doesn’t usually bother her.)  Were her PJs too warm?  (All the light ones were in the wash.)  Or is she just following in her uncle Tim’s footsteps, which means that we’ll be chasing her naked down the street for years to come…?

8 Responses to “Naked baby”

1. Trudie July 5, 2008 at 12:03 am #

Years ago, “For Better Or For Worse” had a strip where Lizzie was prancing down the street clad in rubber boots and umbrella… I’ll loom for it and post it on my blog!
    My son absolutely hated being wet, so when he was about 1½ year I had to high-tail it to his room when he woke up. Otherwise he’d rip off his diaper and hurl it across the room, no matter the content…

2. Shannon July 5, 2008 at 5:29 am #

It’s hard to tell what they’re thinking, huh? My two year old did that once, it was so strange to go in and see him naked, lol. I hope you’re feeling better after your procedure, things like that can be exhausting!

3. Janet July 6, 2008 at 12:47 pm #

You have a beautiful voice! Loved your song for Jade. Also enjoyed your blog in general. I have a niece around your age parenting twins in Salmon Arm BC, no running water, electricity (except generator). They run naked as much as they can. She can’t keep clothes on them and they seem to ignore the mesquitoes!!
    Check out my new puppies on my website!

Janet in ARizona

4. Beanie July 6, 2008 at 6:14 pm #

Hey Fawny,

Hope you’re feeling better!

Am I the only person who wants to hear more about her Uncle Tim running naked down the street? I certainly hope it’s not something he does during the cold, Yukon winter!

5. Nita July 7, 2008 at 8:35 am #

My little sister used to do that. We’d find a pile of clothes in the yard right about the time a neighbour would come over leading the naked child by the hand. I will always remember my mother running down the street in a panic calling for my (once again lost) little sister, tiny sundress flapping in her hand. She was a nudist espape artist (my sister, not my mother!). My mother even resorted to a baby harness attached by one end to the clothes line. I don’t suppose you cold do that now-a-days.

6. maleesha July 7, 2008 at 8:12 pm #

Once my son did the ol’ diaper removal trick, during a nap-time, when his diaper was filled with #2. He managed to “paint” a large section of his carpet. Don’t even get me started on what the sheets looked like. And there was even a speck on the wall. Bonus: our house was for sale, and we had a showing in half an hour. I had come in to wake up the boy so we could get out of the house…boy was I in for a treat.

7. Kara July 10, 2008 at 3:50 pm #

Too funny!! Well at least no poo!

1. Epilepsy update « Fawnahareo’s Place - July 22, 2008

[…] pants on by herself (mostly — the hind part never gets pulled all the way up), not to mention how to take her clothes off by herself.  She’s not gaining weight at an alarming rate.  She’s excited about my growing […]