24 hours

25 Jul

I just got a call from Michael; he and Jade will be in the hospital for 24 hours of observation.  After being in touch with Dr. Demos (the pediatric neurologist in Vancouver) they want to keep a close eye on her and increase her evening drug dose yet again.

After talking to Dr. Demos, Dr. Stuart (the doctor at Emergency this morning) asked Michael if they had ever told us that the type of epilepsy Jade has is hard to control.  Michael doesn’t remember ever hearing that, and neither do I.  Maybe they were trying to bolster our optimism; the impression I always got was that there was a good chance of controlling her seizures.  But I suppose the definition of “controlling” was never really explored.

If Jade has another major seizure in the next few days, they’ll be adding a drug and sending her down to BC immediately.  It’s so frustrating feeling like we never get the whole story.

13 Responses to “24 hours”

1. christina July 25, 2008 at 11:27 am #

Hi Fawn,
    You don’t know me, but I went to highschool with Michael, and I believe that you and I actually did meet once at a wedding here in Ottawa. I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with you guys. I’m certain that your strength and love as an individual as well as a family will help see you through this.
    Take care.

2. Trudie July 25, 2008 at 1:42 pm #

I have no magic words or wands to use, but I hope my good thoughts will help.

3. kara July 25, 2008 at 2:00 pm #

Giving your our positive thoughts as well!

4. Catrina July 25, 2008 at 5:27 pm #

Man, Jade sure has been through a lot and I know it all must be taking its toll on you and Michael as well. We’re praying for all of you (including Nugget).

5. Beanie July 25, 2008 at 5:39 pm #

Fawny,

Please, please, please, if Jade has to come back to Van, call me (if you don’t still have my numbers, they’re posted on Facebook) and I’ll bring out anything that her and Michael might need when I get off work. Even if it’s only a decent cup of coffee and a hug.

Take care. I’m praying for you guys!

6. Tammy July 25, 2008 at 7:01 pm #

Hi Fawn,
    I just found your blog, and wanted to say hi. I hope things improve with Jade, I can’t imagine the stress you are under. And as one Yukoner to another: this summer is NOT helping anyone feel happier!!

7. shannon maccuaig July 26, 2008 at 8:36 am #

fawn: i can relate to the last line of your posting so much. even after maggie has “healed”, we still to this day don’t know why she had colitis. throughout the ordeal, we were told how to “fix it” (with a hypoallergenic formula) and yet they couldn’t even explain WHY the formula would work! it is beyond frustrating to say the least and you’re in the thick of it now!!! i truly hope the light at the end of your tunnel is a bright one.
    lots of love,
    shannon

8. K.C. & Janet July 26, 2008 at 10:40 am #

We hope Jade is better now. We also wish the Doctors can find the real reason that cause it and have the best treatment for her.

If your are coming to Vancouver, give us a call and we are here.

Take care!

9. munirramli July 26, 2008 at 12:56 pm #

everything is ok

10. Laurie Kendrick July 26, 2008 at 2:43 pm #

I’m sending you good thoughts from Houston.

Best,
    LK

11. Morahmommy July 26, 2008 at 7:06 pm #

I’m sending only good thoughts your way and saying an extra prayer.

12. Barbara July 27, 2008 at 8:09 am #

I’m watching to see a report that Jade is better and home, and of course, to learn about Nuggets arrival.

Sending good thoughts and prayers for your family.

And, maybe more support by linking this post in mine yesterday.

13. yukonchatterbug July 27, 2008 at 12:49 pm #

My thoughts are with you and your family, Fawn. This roller-coaster you’re on will soon even out, I hope.
    Best wishes,