Growin’, growin’, groanin’

14 Aug

Two months ago (maybe more… memory is fuzzy these days…) I started to get a little achiness in my lower back.  In my very lower back.  Okay, technically, the aching was in my sacrum.  Make that is, because, although I hoped it would go away, it’s been steadily growing worse.  Right now it’s just on the left side, but I fear how much worse it could get as my belly continues to grow.

Doing a Google search on “pregnancy pain sacrum” actually proved to be reassuring; I found out this type of pain is a very common pregnancy symptom.  It’s all because of that lovely hormone relaxin, which loosens up the joints so that the pelvis has more give, making more room for baby to grow and easier for baby to be delivered.

It’s reassuring, yes, but it doesn’t make life any easier.  Actually, the truth is that  it’s just a minor bother for most of the day, once things have loosened up.  But in the wee hours of the morning, when I try to roll over in bed, I yelp in pain.  When I try to get out of bed and I wince in pain with every step of my left foot… well, it’s a pain, yanno?  And my co-workers have definitely noticed that I’ve started that charming “pregnancy waddle”, at least in the mornings.

I now have to send Michael to get Jade out of her crib and I try to avoid picking her up, which is sad because she loves to be picked up and held.  She’s gotten so familiar with my saying my back is sore that all I have to do is wince and she’ll say, “Mama – back – ‘urts?”  (She also tells me at random intervals that her back is sore and needs kisses.)

I went to the doctor’s office for a prenatal checkup today — yes, I am using a midwife, but technically I’m still under the doctor’s care, too — and got a prescription for a maternity support belt, which may or may not help.  She also referred me for physio to see if there are any exercises I can do to help.  And I’m finally prepared to see a chiropractor.  I’ve always been rather afraid of chiropractors.  You know how your mom always told you not to crack your knuckles because you’ll end up with arthritis when you’re old?  I figured if cracking your knuckles is bad, how much worse is it to have your back cracked?  However, I have quite a few friends who swear by their chiros.  The doctor says it’s safe, and Heather (my midwife) has sent patients to one of the chiropractors in town.  So I’m pretty convinced it could be a good thing.  I think.

In other prenatal checkup news, I now weigh in at 169 lbs and my fundal height is 25 cm; it’s supposed to be 1 cm per week of pregnancy (I’ll be 27 weeks tomorrow) but Jade was also always a centimetre or two behind, probably because I’m so short-waisted and part of my uterus is hiding behind my pelvic bone.  Nugget’s heart rate was a happy 146 bpm.  And loud!  When I had my first visit with Heather a few weeks ago, she had a hard time hearing Nugget’s heartbeat with her fetoscope.  I’m willing to bet she won’t have any problems at our next appointment!

8 Responses to “Growin’, growin’, groanin’”

1. Kara August 14, 2008 at 8:26 pm #

Well that sure doesn’t sound like fun!! When I was pregnant with Hunter my pelvis was splitting- it was horrible. For the last week I couldn’t lay down because of the pain. Good thing Hunter was a week early.

Glad Nugget is growing so well!

2. Mr Lady August 14, 2008 at 8:32 pm #

Oh, god woman. GO TO THE CHIRO. Go as much as you can. And get massages. That pain gets worse before it gets better. Just lay low as much as possible. Welcome to sacrum pain, baby!

3. Beanie August 14, 2008 at 8:53 pm #

What a coincidence – I was just reading a medical article yesterday and you’ll be happy to know that there’s really no medical research to support the theory that cracking your knuckles causes arthritis. In fact, most doctors consider it to be an old wives’ tale.

Jade is so cute. She’s going to be a great big sister! I can just imagine her telling (a screaming) Nugget that he/she just needs kisses. 🙂

4. Idania August 15, 2008 at 3:26 am #

Hey Hon,

I saw a chiropractor throughout my first pregnancy and again with this one.

My sacrum hurts too, but mine involved a few stiff drinks at a wedding reception, and falling on my butt so it knocked my sacrum out of place. The next day I found out I was pregnant with Jillian!

Now, chances are, the chiro will adjust more than just your lower back; since I sit at a desk all day, my mid-back and neck also get adjusted at the same time.

And yes, it does help.

What I do like the most is that it’s a medicine-free way to getting rid of pain, especially when prego.

I hope this helps!

5. Suzanne August 15, 2008 at 4:35 am #

With my second, I slept with a twin comforter (folded up and stuffed in a king size pillowcase) basically between my knees and all up my body, supporting the belly and breasts for the last few months. It was my own homemade really squishy body pillow. Everything else hurt too much. I found that keeping my legs/knees parallel (instead of the “hip to knee triangle” that they do) when I was sleeping really helped keep the pain down.

Anyways, it’s an option if you don’t want to do chiro just yet.

6. Malva August 15, 2008 at 10:47 am #

Don’t delay! Go see the chiro! They’ll probably need to align you as well as deal with the pregnancy changes as your body changes.

I started going near the end of my second trimester during my last pregnancy and I really wished I hadn’t waited so long. This time, I didn’t take any chances, I started going as soon as we started trying for another one.

7. Kendra November 20, 2008 at 7:09 am #

You’ve probably been to the chiropractor by now, and may have given birth already. If by chance you haven’t, it really does help. My husband is a chiropractor and I get regular adjustments. I’m currently 27 weeks with our 2nd, and my first birth went really smooth, I attribute that to his adjustments. It keeps you feeling loose rather than tight, which just makes the back pains worse.

1. 28 Weeks Pregnant « Fawnahareo’s Place - August 22, 2008

[…] Today I start my third trimester.  The second trimester was relatively good to me, despite the sacral pain and yesterday’s fiasco, which I guess my body’s way of ending the second trimester with […]