Is it a boy or a girl?

19 Aug

By the end of this week, I’ll be starting my third trimester. Three more months before we get to meet Nugget and finally answer the question we hear more than any other: “Do you know what you’re having?” Well, darlings, we’re having a baby, as the ultrasound pictures showed. But no, we don’t know Nugget’s sex.

It’s interesting how opinionated folks are this time around. With Jade, I heard people make a few guesses, but this time I’ve had people (all women, interestingly enough) tell me positively and knowingly, “You’re having a girl!”. Others are just as sure that I’m “cooking up a boy”. Michael thinks Nugget is a boy, and this pregnancy certainly has been different from Jade’s, but I just can’t seem to decide one way or the other.

So it is time, of course, to turn to the wisdom of the Internet, and the all-knowingness of Google and the random quiz I found at Childbirth.org. Pics of the belly are at the bottom of the post for your judging pleasure.

Congratulations!

You have a 22% chance of having a boy.
And you have a 77% chance of having a girl.

And Here’s Why…

• You are carrying the extra weight out front, so it’s a boy. (This was a hard call. I can’t honestly say that my back end isn’t also carrying some extra weight. There have definitely been some underwear issues, but that could just be the drag of sagging maternity pants. But no one’s pointing to my butt and saying, “Wow, you’re really growing!”)
  • The hair on your legs is not growing any faster during your preganacy, so it’s a girl. (Whew!)
  • Girls are carried high. You are going to have a girl. (Although it’s hard to say whether I’m carrying high and low with my ridiculously short torso, most people seem to agree that it’s pretty high… You can judge for yourself.)
  • Sleeping in a bed with your pillow to the north indicates that you will be having a boy. (Interesting… do women actually turn their beds around?)
  • Your feet are not colder than they were before pregnancy. You are having a girl. (Of course, it IS summertime.)
  • You refuse to eat the heel of a loaf of bread. You are having a girl. (Actually, I don’t refuse. I’ll occasionally do it. C’mon, I’m pregnant, I’ll eat almost anything.)
  • Dad-to-be hasn’t been gaining weight along with Mom-to-be, so it will be a girl. (Dad almost never gains weight, anyway. Jerk.)
  • The maternal grandmother doesn’t have gray hair (dyed or natural), so a girl will be born. (This was a weird question. Did they mean ALL gray, or just SOME gray? Hell, even I’ve had SOME gray hair since I was 19.)
  • You had morning sickness early in pregnancy, so you are expecting a girl. (Well, I guess that makes Jade a boy, then.)
  • You are looking particularly good during pregnancy. Therefore, it must be a boy, because girls steal their mother’s looks. (I don’t think I look particularly good, but I didn’t think I look like the back end of a bus, either. Geez, there’s no in-between here. And I think I was danged cute while I was pregnant with Jade, thank-you-very-much…)
  • Your chest development has not been very dramatic during pregnancy. You should expect a boy. (This one was hard to answer, too. There’s definitely more boob to go around, but I wasn’t tiny to start with. Something I wish I could go back to tell my flat-chested teenage self. “Don’t worry, Miss A-cup. One day you’ll be a busty Double-D…”)
  • Since the sum of the mother’s age at conception and the number of the month of conception is an odd number, it will be a girl. (Um, I don’t have anything to add to that.)
  • You are craving sweets, which means that it is a girl. (I’m a woman. I ALWAYS crave sweets, people.)
  • Your nose hasn’t changed during pregnancy, which indicates a girl. (Yikes! Is that permanent?! My nose is wide enough. If having a boy is supposed to cause it to spread, I never want a boy.)
  • You have been craving fruits, so it is a girl. (The alternative was meats and cheese. I crave those, too. But I’m pretty sure the baby will be either a boy or a girl, not both.)
  • Your baby’s heart rate is 140 or more beats per minute, so it’s a girl. (I think it was lower than 140 once, though.)
  • You must have orange juice every day, so it’s a girl. (I don’t HAVE to have orange juice every day, but the alternative was “Doesn’t like OJ” and that’s even less true.)
  • You are not having headaches, so it’s a girl. (So boys are a headache, are they? Oh, the stereotyping jokes we could make here…)
  • Your belly looks like a watermelon, so it’s a girl. (I dunno folks. Would YOU call it a watermelon or a basketball?)

Isn’t it nice to have such a definitive answer?

Belly at 26 and a half weeks

Belly at 26 and a half weeks

There's definitely some more boobage going on now...

There's definitely some more boobage going on now...

Nugget getting some love from Jade

Nugget getting some love from Jade

14 Responses to “Is it a boy or a girl?”

1. Kara August 19, 2008 at 12:13 pm #

Ooohhh I shall guess BOY!!

And I am going to email you this chinese gender predictor sheet. Tell me what is says. It has been dead on for all of my friends and for me!

2. Meandering Michael August 19, 2008 at 12:16 pm #

Ah, the Internet. Is there anything it CAN’T pretend to be an expert on?

3. Kara August 19, 2008 at 12:59 pm #

Nope. The internet knows all.

4. MommyTime August 19, 2008 at 4:31 pm #

Well, the things that were accurate for me were the fruit cravings versus meat cravings (all the former for girl, all the latter for boy) and the carry out front versus carry more horizontally (former = boy; latter = girl). The Old Wives would say you DEFINITELY have a boy shaped belly. But then, those Old Wives aren’t right about everything. Isn’t it fun to play hypothetical, though?

And, by the way, you look glowing and gorgeous — and that color of blue suits you beautifully.

5. shannon maccuaig August 19, 2008 at 4:56 pm #

your pictures are absolutely beautiful fawn!!!

i found it very annoying when people guessed what maggie was based on the shape of my body. i also found it annoying because i would have people contradicting eachother all the time with what the old wives tales actually were. nobody ever said the same thing twice.

i went to a wedding one time, and this was after 2 unsuccessful ultrasounds – unsuccessful because i desperately wanted to know the gender and they were unable to determine it – and my cousin, jack, at the wedding, an older cousin i had just met for the first time ever, took one look at me and said “its a girl for sure”. i laughed, of course, i mean i’d heard that, or “boy for sure”, so many times already… but later on at the wedding, everyone was saying “shannon’s having a girl” and it turned out that jack had been “guessing” what women are having for MANY years and has NEVER been wrong, EVER. i still didn’t buy it… later on, i was outside with some people smoking and i realized that i was talking to jack’s daughter. and i said “what’s with your father? is he full of crap or what?” and she said “oh yeah, TOTALLY, don’t believe a word he says.” and i said “oh thank god, because he told me i’m having a girl and i really want a boy!” and she said “oh no, wait. okay, yes, he’s full of it with everything else he says, but not with guessing the gender of babies in the womb. both of my kids are girls and both ultrasounds for them came back as boys. and my father kept telling me not to buy boys clothes because they were girls, and in the end he was right! i’ve been watching him guess the gender for over 20 years now and he has NEVER been wrong ONCE, nor has he ever refused to make a ‘guess’ to someone. HE’S ALWAYS RIGHT!” anyway, i talked to jack again at the wedding later on and asked him his secret, and he said he just knew. and he asked me to call him afterwards and let him know he was right, because he has honest-go-god never been wrong once and he wanted the opportunity to say ‘i told you so’ to me!

hmmm… telling this story reminds me i should really call him!!! i’ll have to track down his number from someone!

6. Ripplebliss August 19, 2008 at 8:37 pm #

I say you have a 100% chance of having a human, which is pretty good considering how creepy it would be if you were gestating a gigantic hamster.

Also you have a 100% chance of looking fabulous in that really cute shirt you’re wearing! (Thanks!)

My personal favorite baby gender prediction was the unsolicited one given by an elderly hippie-style hobo outside a herbal remedies store. “OOOOOOOOH!” he said with the laid-back enthusiasm one can only have after smokin’ a few doobies, “you got a girl in there. I see her in there! A girl for sure, and a real cute one, too.” He sort of flapped a pointed finger at my belly and added, “I can tell you think I’m crazy, but I’m never wrong, you know. Never wrong!” I smiled politely. Now I wish I’d gotten his name. A regular Oracle that man was!

Ha! Maybe it was Shannon’s cousin Jack! 😉

7. maleesha August 20, 2008 at 5:16 am #

Great photos! I think that some of those “helpful tips” applied to me and some did not. For example another version says that a boy steals your looks. Oh well. It must be fun to wait to find out. I could never deal with that kind of suspense, so we found out on both. But waiting gives you something to think about in the delivery room, so I am told!

8. JP August 20, 2008 at 12:02 pm #

wow – i will say a boy 🙂

9. octavpelin August 20, 2008 at 12:45 pm #

I will say a girl,God bless you!!!

10. allmycke August 21, 2008 at 8:46 am #

I’m with Ripplebliss… I’m sure it’ll be a human and I sooo wish there would have been maternity wear like that when I was pregnant.
    Back then, everything came with ruffles and pleats and in yellow, pink or baby blue. I weighed in at a hefty 85+ kgs the days before giving birth… Imagine a whale in pink with ruffles around neck and elbows and pleats down the front!

11. Captain Momma August 21, 2008 at 11:52 am #

HI Fawn,

I am a friend of Nicole’s and you can find me on her blog as well, under Kelli’s Blog!

I have been following your blog for a little bit now and I like it. I was posted in Yellowknife for 19 months and just retired form the military 4 months ago and moved to Prince George. I had been in Whitehorse several times, loved it! Its nice to read a home grown blog that’s real 🙂

Hope all is well with little Jade and Nugget these days. Loved the Petitot Gathering posts, sounds like so much fun.

I hvae no guess on what Nugget will be, can’t tell one way or the other. THe internet guess is hilarious! The one about boobs is soooooooooo wrong. I had a boy and I gained about 10 cups sizes!!! I still have yet to lose them too. Ahh the A cup days…

Take care,

Captain Momma

12. IndyComp0T1 August 21, 2008 at 1:33 pm #

When I was pregnant with my little one, I had strangers tell me with absolute certainty that I was having a boy. In spite of the fact that I told them that the ultrasounds said otherwise, these people would look at me like I was crazy, which made me fume. Now, let me see…who would I trust more? The opinion of a sonographer/doctor, or the opinion of some stranger going by some old wives’ tale???

13. carol August 23, 2008 at 6:13 am #

Well who needs to find out at the ultrasound when you can have such a handy quiz. Too funny.

Well not long til we find out how accurate it is.

14. Monica August 24, 2008 at 6:59 am #

Well, I have two girls and a boy. My oldest two are girls. And the pregnancies couldn’t have been more difficult. My first was easy and the 2nd was way harder. Now personality wise, my oldest was an easy going baby and my second well she wasn’t difficult, but she was way more curious. She wouldn’t sit still and really she still doesn’t. And just FYI the pregnancy with my 3rd the boy couldn’t have been anymore difficult and he’s proven to be the biggest trouble maker of all. All those wives tales though. My son’s heart rate was pretty high. He most definitely is a boy. I would have loved to have done a girl then a boy, but then my daughter’s wouldn’t have a sister and seeing them have each other most of the time I think they are so lucky since I don’t have a sister ;). So I’m pulling for a girl for you ;).