100% professional

26 Sep

It’s Friday today.  This is the Yukon and fashion isn’t most people’s biggest concern.  Many people wear jeans to work regularly, but I try to limit it to Fridays, just for the principle of it.

The sad thing is, my lovely maternity jeans, which I wore happily throughout Jade’s pregnancy, are no longer comfy.  Yes, my beloved mat jeans have joined the ranks of the Grumpy Pants.  Nugget is so low that the only pants that are comfortable now are the ones with the huge over-the-belly stretch panel that can be folded down… the kind of pants that usually fall down when you walk.

I have two pairs of dress pants in that style, and I wear a Bella Band to keep them up, but it’s still not comfortable.  (Maybe I need to get a bigger Bella Band…)  The only thing that is really comfortable are my Sportees yoga pants.  They’re what I change into when I come home from work and what I live in all weekend.  I miss them when I have to wash them, and they usually go straight from the dryer back onto my body — no languishing for weeks in the laundry pile for these babies.

They’re pretty new, so they’re still a nice dark black.  And so I have worn them to work today.

I KNOW!  I can’t believe I’m wearing what are essentially sweats to work.  But I’m pretending I’m not.  I’m wearing a nice top with a chunky necklace, along with black socks and dressy-ish shoes.  And given that we are in the Yukon, I don’t think anyone has noticed that I’m in yoga pants.  Or cares.

But you know what?  I was WAY more productive this morning than I have been in weeks.  Apparently, ability to breathe comfortably = ability to concentrate on work.  Hunh.  Another lesson for the Grumpy Pants files.  Maybe I really should go shopping…

11 Responses to “100% professional”

1. jen September 26, 2008 at 12:10 pm #

I have been really lucky not having to get specific work clothing, working in the north is great! I could go to work in my Pajammas some days. That being said I do like to get dolled up sometimes and I found the bella band really let me down. One day while I was working it decided to roll up on me exposing part of my underpants!

Good thing you decided to skip the “Grumpy Pants”, I find that most people would rather see me in sweats then have a crabby pregnant lady lol.

The Bella Band was crap in terms of wearing my pre-mat pants. I know it works for some people, but not for my body shape. But it does work well as a “belt” for those big-panel mat pants!

2. Jackie September 26, 2008 at 12:20 pm #

I think you ARE 100% professional! You sound more “dressy” than I do today, I’m just rockin’ a pair of jeans, a baby blue v-neck sweater, and birkenstock clogs.

But I know what you mean. I was having a “grumpy pants” day (just generally feeling uncomfortable in anything with a snap and zipper) a couple weeks ago… and went to work in my yoga pants. I felt like a total schlump… but MAN was I comfy – not to mention in a much better mood!

And thanks for the Sportees link… I think I’m going to have to order myself up a pair of those babies!

Hi Jackie, and thanks for visiting! You’ll love the Sportees pants! 😀

3. Lindsay September 26, 2008 at 12:23 pm #

Shopping….for another pair of yoga pants? :o)

4. Kara September 26, 2008 at 1:08 pm #

I would say wear the yoga pants to work everyday! We have passed you on the side walk downtown before (us in truck, you on sidewalk) and you are super dressy. So now is the time to relax and let the baby move freely! And I doubt anyone would complain- they wouldn’t want to face the wrath of an angry, uncomfortable pregnant lady!

5. Kara September 26, 2008 at 1:09 pm #

Oh, and I remember my last few weeks- the only pants that fit were these awesome capris that had the stretchy stuff that went right up to my boobs. But oh they were comfy! Even my sweat pants didn’t fit for the last few weeks!

6. Mamasphere September 26, 2008 at 2:24 pm #

I ended up abandoning maternity clothes in favor of larger sized regular clothes. Though at the end I wore one pair of pants every single day, lol. Keep wearing the yoga pants to work!

7. Jenny September 26, 2008 at 3:07 pm #

so, like how far are you from say a mall, a Target or Walmart. In my part of the world Walmart’s are EVERYWHERE! I do not live in a big town but there is a Super Walmart in town and I can think of about 6 other Super Walmarts that I could get to in less than an hour. I just wondered how hard it is for you to find maternity clothes. It’s hard to find decent ones around here. I think I got every bit of mine mail order from JC Penney. I’m a stay at home mom so I dont’ have to worry about work clothes I’d be happy to spend the day in pajamas and slippers and I’m not even pregnant (just fat! HA)

I don’t think we have Target in Canada at all (I may be wrong), but Wal-Marts are everywhere, including Whitehorse. We do have a few options for maternity clothes here: there’s a high-end consignment store, a home-based business that specializes in baby and maternity clothes, and, of course, the Wal-Mart. Plus there’s the Sportees option! It’s still not a lot of selection, but it’s something. Most of my clothes come from Thyme Maternity in Vancouver, where I happened to be when I was pregnant with Jade. And I’m most grateful to two friends who have given me mat clothes they no longer need. Hurray for hand-me-downs!

8. Peaeater September 26, 2008 at 3:29 pm #

Let’s just be thankful you didn’t decide on 100% natural.

Hmm, that sounds vaguely insulting…

9. MommyTime September 27, 2008 at 4:51 pm #

If those are the pants you have on in today’s photo, I think you look great. They may be yoga pants technically, but that kind of stretchy fabric is all the rage in dresses and skirts lately. I think as long as you’re not wearing them with a sweatshirt, no one will think twice about soft stretchy plain black pants *on a third trimester pregnant woman*!! They are simple, not baggy or sloppy, and a dark inconspicuous black. If I were you, I’d buy another pair and wear them every single day if they are comfortable! Seriously. Unless everyone else at your job dresses in Wall Street suits, I think you’re just fine. 🙂

Haha, DEFINITELY no Wall Street suits here! Thanks for the encouragement. I’m definitely thinking of one more pair. Plus Sportees sells their own version of the Bella Bands, so I could get one slightly larger to make those other dress pants more comfortable. I just hate spending more money on big clothes at the stage of the game. But we *are* considering a number 3 in our future, so…

10. Lara September 28, 2008 at 12:23 am #

Hi girl,
    Oh the stresses of work pants. Seriously I am not even that huge yet and having trouble being comfy. My real workpants trouble hit last week when it was REALLY REALLY fall here, 0 in the mornings, and I realized the only thing I could wear was pants. ANd that I had only ONE pair of work pants, grey ones with the tri-band from Thyme. They are great – I had to wear them 3x that week, oh the shame! Bella bands work great for me typically but I am finally at the point where none of my pants from before fit, even with the band.

Before it got cold, I had so many options. SHort skirts, long skirts, cute dresses (like the one you liked in my profile pic), multiple pairs of capris, and then even some “from before” work pants with the Bella. Now I am down to that one option. And of COURSE i stained them the first day and didnt have time to wash them. Arg!

Maybe its a stubborn principle thing, and I HAVE been looking for a pair or 2 of black work mat pants, but just couldnt bring myself to pay full price for pants I will wear for maybe 2 months. But Hurrah, this designer mat store had a HUGE sale today where most items (retailing for $100-$200+) were marked down to $10 and $20 to clear them out!

I got a gorgeous pair of black mat pants (too long but will hem them), a long black skirt, a gorgeous cream sweater-jacket and a $200 designer dress for 10 BUCKS for my Christmas party in Nov!

So that should help me be less of a grumpypants about my lack of pants!

Hugs,
    Lara

Hahaha – that’s great! I wish you could’ve gone shopping for me! A lot of mat pants are too long (I’m shocked that they’re too long even for you, though – wow!) — I guess they tend to just make one long inseam size because they’re specialty items. I had some of my dress pants hemmed last time.

At least one doesn’t need quite as many pants as tops to look reasonably diverse. I wore my black dress pants 3 days in a row earlier this month, but I doubt anyone noticed. If I had the same top and bottom on all the time, now that would be embarrassing! Many of my mat tops will be just fine post-baby. And at least some of the mat pants will still be great for a few months after baby arrives… though the dressy ones definitely aren’t as useful then!

1. This ‘n’ that « Fawnahareo’s Place - September 29, 2008

[…] why I spent almost 18 hours at the office this weekend.  However, since I spent the entire time in yoga pants (!) and there were no people distractions I was seriously productive.  (Between that and your […]