33 weeks pregnant

26 Sep

Here I am in all my yoga pants glory:

Nugget at 33 weeks

Here’s what BabyCenter.com has to say about Nugget this week:

This week your baby weighs a little over 4 pounds (heft a pineapple) and has passed the 17-inch mark. He’s rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look and his skeleton is hardening. The bones in his skull aren’t fused together, which allows them to move and slightly overlap, thus making it easier for him to fit through the birth canal. (The pressure on the head during birth is so intense that many babies are born with a conehead-like appearance.) These bones don’t entirely fuse until early adulthood, so they can grow as his brain and other tissue expands during infancy and childhood.

I saw Heather on Monday and when she palpated my belly she told me that Nugget felt like a really good size for me. She asked me how big Jade was and when I told her she was 6 lbs Heather said, “This one’s a bit bigger.” Yikes!

But: earlier this week I was at our family doctor’s office to get Jade’s latest blood test results. I chatted with the receptionist, who told me she’s had five kids. (Wow!) My favourite part was when she said, “Bigger babies are easier to birth.” Really? I wanted to know why. “I don’t know,” she said. “I guess because they’re bigger, so there’s more pressure from the baby, so it’s not as much work to push them out.”

Given how easy I had it with Jade, who was tiny, this sounds hard to believe. I admit to being a bit nervous about birthing Nugget, just because this whole pregnancy has been a little harder, so I’ll take any good news I can get!

13 Responses to “33 weeks pregnant”

1. Kara September 26, 2008 at 4:13 pm #

Well you look just fine in your comfy pants!!! Nugget is looking wonderful as well!

2. McMommy September 26, 2008 at 4:51 pm #

Fawn, she is so right!! Carter was 8lbs, 12oz and he came out so fast!! Three pushes with no epidural! He was alot easier than Matty…who was a full pound LESS (7lb, 12oz) than Carter!

I think it definitely has to do with the fact that your body just “remembers” from the first time…

Can’t wait to hear the big news when Nugget arrives!!

3. Jenny September 26, 2008 at 4:57 pm #

this woman who told you bigger babies are easier? My 1st was 10 lbs 7 oz and there’s a reason he and his sister are 7 years apart. It HURT!!!!!! I had him natural. His sister was “only” 8 lbs 13 oz. be. Actually the 8lb 13 oz was pretty easy. the nurse told me I was lucky Isaiah didn’t shatter my pelvis. I changed Dr’s as soon as I got out of hospital.

4. Lindsay September 26, 2008 at 5:43 pm #

Everyone is different and every birth is different. You’ll be fine!

5. Lindsay September 26, 2008 at 5:44 pm #

By the way, you look fantastic!!!!

6. Bubblybunny September 27, 2008 at 3:14 am #

You look wonderful!! 🙂 I actually prefer the pants with the big waist thing that goes over your belly. But the waist band has to go ALL THE WAY OVER the belly because those don’t fall when you walk. I have a skirt that only goes 1/2 way and yes, that skirt often slided down when I walk and it’s very annoying, esp. when I hit my last month of pregnancy.

As for easy birth, I thought it also depends on your size and your bone structure. My baby was a whopping 9 lbs and I’m fairly small (5 ft tall, on the dot!). I had a hard delivery; I think it’s because he was so big. I think one of the nurses was amazed that I had a natural birth and she said this is probably the largest size baby I can delivery natural. Eeekk…!!

7. Chris September 27, 2008 at 3:19 am #

You look great Fawn!!! I haven’t met a woman yet who isn’t at least a little nervous before giving birth, but we get through it, and then we’re ready to do it all over again! We’re crazy like that 🙂

8. Captain Momma September 27, 2008 at 12:07 pm #

Hi Fawn,

You are looking fantastic! You must be getting so excited!

Its true, Baby Blues was 8lbs 3oz and it was easy! No tears! No pain relief either! I only hope the next one is that easy or easier!!!!

Take care,

Kelli

9. Mamasphere September 27, 2008 at 6:58 pm #

Those pants look great- you can totally wear them to work!

And my gosh, you look adorable!

10. Lara September 28, 2008 at 12:26 am #

I concur you look fantastico darling!!! Cant tell they are yoga at all. DO IT! HUGS 🙂

11. Mike September 28, 2008 at 12:41 pm #

Liebe Fawn,
    Du siehst prächtig aus mit Deinem Bauch. Und trotz allem nach glücklicher Mum. Wie schaffst Du das bloß? Was allerdings die Aussage betrifft, dass größere Kinder leichter auf die Welt kommen, habe ich es anders herum erlebt. Aber ich glaube, dass die 2. Geburt vielleicht leichter ist. Wenn Nugget sich noch 7 Wochen Zeit läßt, habt Ihr fast gleichzeitig Geburtstag:) Es ist toll, wie Ihr das mit Jade managt.
    cu. Mike

12. Sharl September 28, 2008 at 8:08 pm #

Hi Fawn – just popping in 🙂 You look amazing!!!!

13. IndyComp0T1 September 29, 2008 at 8:53 pm #

You’re looking great! BTW, Yoga pants rock! Don’t feel bad that you had to wear them around the office. I work at a financial institution and the dress code is business casual. Towards the end of my pregnancy, my feet were so swollen that all I could wear were flip-flops – including at the office! 🙂