Nesting

8 Oct

This week I started back to work full-time again. I’ve had Mondays off (along with a 20% reduction in my salary) ever since I returned from Jade’s mat leave. It’s just for a month (and next Monday is a holiday) so I’ll certainly survive, but it still takes some getting used to. The thing is, I have this feeling hanging over me that Nugget is going to come any day now and I seem to be going into full nesting mode. It’s a strange time to be spending less time at home.

What is it that makes me feel like Nugget is coming early? I can’t put my finger on it. It’s not that I’m ready to be done with this pregnancy just yet, despite the aching unmentionables and the underwear that keeps rolling down in front and the — WTH is going on here? — Braxton-Hicks contractions that I never experienced when I was pregnant with Jade. The fact is, I’m not ready for Nugget to arrive yet; there’s still far too much to do. Our shed is done enough that we’ve finally started moving some of the chaos out of the house; I’ve got a huge urge to purge and organize and sort and I feel there’s no way I’m going to get it all done before D-Day arrives. Hmmm, I think that may be the very definition of nesting.

My mom is coming to help out for six weeks. I’m so grateful that Jade will have someone to be with, if need be, during Nugget’s birth and I know I’ll be spoiled in the food-preparation-and-keeping-the-house-orderly arena. But as I consider the mounds of stuff to organize, I can’t help wishing that she were already here, instead of arriving on November 3. My mother is an organizing machine, people. There’s nothing like having a mom around when you’re in full nesting mode and not only do you not have your Mondays off, but you really shouldn’t be carrying those heavy bins of baby clothes around.

Oh, and the other reason I know Nugget is coming, like, tomorrow? We still don’t have names picked out.

6 Responses to “Nesting”

1. Captain Momma October 8, 2008 at 12:30 pm #

I hope this month goes well for you! I have another friend who is in full nesting mode as well. You’ll get there. ANd if you don’t…who cares as long as you are all together!!!

That’s awesome your Mom can come and that you have someone like her to help organize, cook and clean! Yay!

Have a great Thanksgiving,

Kelli

2. Jenny October 8, 2008 at 1:45 pm #

Just name him Braxton, as in Braxton Hicks. I think we go into nesting mode because somewhere inside we know we won’t have an organized clean house for about 5 years.
    OK, Thanksgiving? I wondered what holiday you were having! I won’t tell my son or he’ll want Monday off from school for Canadian Thanksgiving! I guess he could we’re not that far from Canada! (abt 4 hours from Niagra Falls less than that from Windsor)

3. Kara October 8, 2008 at 2:16 pm #

Come on Nugget!!!!

And no names picked out yet??? Micheal had heaps of interesting suggestions for me…. and yet you have nothing??

I guess you could always stick with Nugget!

4. Mamasphere October 8, 2008 at 2:30 pm #

I nested a full month before my daughter’s due date, and then she went two weeks overdue. So glad I had those six weeks to get everything in order, because I sure as heck needed it. Hopefully you’ll have some time, too!

5. Asheya October 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm #

Never underestimate the power of the “this baby’s coming early” feeling. I had that with Eowyn, and she was born at 37 1/2 weeks. Lots of Braxton Hicks contractions too, at about 35 weeks. I had them waaaay more than 10 times per day, which is the considered the maximum normal amount you should be having them.

Try to listen to your body and your instincts about what you should/should not be doing. If that laundry’s too heavy…maybe wait until someone else is around and ask them to lift it. Enjoy the excuse!

Hope you manage to get some rest in, and I’m so glad your mom is coming. Moms are great! I guess our job will go on the rest of our lives, huh? Crazy!

Love you lots!