Stunned

21 Oct

The world got turned on its head this afternoon and I’m still rather stunned.

Last Wednesday, I sent an e-mail to the neurology team at BC Kids asking some urgent questions about what to do about Jade’s constant seizures.  Because of a mix-up, we didn’t get a response until today, even though Dr. Huh actually wrote her response before the weekend.  We had one of the worst weekends of our lives (as you all know), and I called again this morning hoping for some answers.

We ended up getting four phone calls from neurology.  The second one is the one that’s left me stunned.  That’s the one where they told us that a space opened up and they can put Jade into the ketogenic program next week.

!!!!

The question really wasn’t whether or not to get Jade down to Vancouver next week.  We’ve been asking ourselves how we could possibly survive another month like the last couple of weeks, so getting Jade into the program right now is truly an answer to our prayers.

The question was whether or not I should go down, too, given how pregnant I am.  I want to be there.  It’s important for me to be there to learn how to calculate the meals and implement the diet at home.  Also, let’s face it, if I had to stay behind, I would go absolutely insane.  Jade’s doctors want me there, too, if at all possible.

The good news is that my “official” due date on the doctor’s records is later than what I’ve been writing on the blog because it was never corrected based on the ultrasound.  So after talking to midwife Heather (and getting some Vancouver midwives’ phone numbers just in case) we’ve decided that it would be best if we can all stay together, if it can be arranged.

Jade will start the diet on Monday.

UPDATE: Yukon Medical Travel was in touch with Michael this afternoon to say we can pick up our itinerary from Marlin Travel tomorrow afternoon.  That means we’re all going for sure!  Yeee-haw!

22 Responses to “Stunned”

1. Mr Lady October 21, 2008 at 8:50 pm #

Do you need somewhere to stay?

2. allmycke October 21, 2008 at 8:54 pm #

This was great news!
    The team taking care of Jade and your family must be an excellent one, who aren’t putting financial limitations on something like this. I’m sure you’ll all be better for it! Like you say: you’d be climbing the walls if you stayed behind in W-horse!
    Now, if Nugget would decide to arrive a bit early, I’m sure there’s midwives in the Vancouver-area – and I do believe that the support of your spouse during birthing is more important than the location.

3. Kara October 21, 2008 at 8:57 pm #

That is so good that you are both going. It is going to be a lot of information to take in, so better there are two brains there! I feel like my brain is mush with this pregnancy- if it were me I would take a video camera and tape everything that they do/say to review later!! But you sound much more with it than me!!

We are so happy you don’t have to wait the month!

4. Beanie October 21, 2008 at 10:14 pm #

That’s awesome! Woot!!! I’m off Monday and Tuesday, so if you need me to run any errands or do anything for you, just let me know.

5. Dad October 21, 2008 at 11:59 pm #

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hugs to our little angel.

6. JenL October 22, 2008 at 3:36 am #

I’m so happy!!!! Our girls will be starting the diet at the same time!!! I’m going to tell Naomi. Maybe she’ll get a competitive streak and try to be seizure free first! HA!!!
    One tip, if you’re staying in the hospital with her, take ear plugs or you’ll never sleep! Our hospital also gives us those blind fold things, it all helps!
    Everything always works out for the best in the end!

7. Malva October 22, 2008 at 3:43 am #

Hurray!!!!

8. Jamie October 22, 2008 at 4:23 am #

That’s great news! I hope this is the answer to your prayers!

9. Brian October 22, 2008 at 5:11 am #

Good, good, good!

10. Murray October 22, 2008 at 6:12 am #

That’s graet news, Fawn – hopefully the ketogenic program will be the key to breaking this.

11. Jackie S. Quire October 22, 2008 at 7:04 am #

Oh Fawn, I’m so glad to hear this. My heart breaks when I hear how hard this is on all of you… so I’m thrilled to see things progress faster than expected (and in a good way!).
    Bon courage!

12. Tori Buggeln October 22, 2008 at 8:15 am #

Wonderful news! Be sure to take full advantage of your lovely sister and fab brother-in-law while are there. Looking forward to good news from Vancouver!

13. IndyComp0T1 October 22, 2008 at 1:36 pm #

Yaaaaaaay!!! I’m so happy for you! Such great news! 🙂

14. shannon maccuaig October 22, 2008 at 2:17 pm #

best of luck with your trip and with the diet, fawn! i really hope it works!!! 🙂

15. Asheya October 22, 2008 at 4:32 pm #

That’s so great! I’ll now pray for a late arriving baby for you!

16. Captain Momma October 22, 2008 at 7:51 pm #

Amen! That’s such wonderful news and answer to prayers! Will be praying for you while you are all down there! Oh you must be so excited and stunned!

Take care,

Kelli

17. Karyn October 22, 2008 at 8:55 pm #

I am happy to hear that things have worked out for you all. I am interested to hear all about the diet when you get back. Take care and good luck in Vancouver!

18. Bubblybunny October 22, 2008 at 11:43 pm #

Glad to hear everything is working out for your family. I hope Jade adapts to the new diet well and her seizures will improve. Good luck in Vancouver!!

19. Indigo October 23, 2008 at 4:48 am #

Wonderful. I am so pleased for all of you. Nice to see the Canadian health care industry can actually get it together sometimes. Best luck with the diet and the info and the training. How long will you be in Vancouver?

Just about a week. We’re leaving on Sunday and returning on Friday, barring any changes in plan because of how Jade reacts to the diet. Or me going into labour – yikes!

20. Lindsay October 23, 2008 at 9:19 am #

We will all be thinking about you! Sending all our love and well wishes! Nugget, you stay put for now. xoxoxoxo

21. Lara October 24, 2008 at 6:05 am #

Congrats congrats congrats! Such wonderful news. Oh Fawn, I cant imagine the stress you’ve been under wow. My heart goes out to you. Best of luck in Van.
    Love, Lara, Little Badger and Lorne.

22. maleesha October 30, 2008 at 7:28 pm #