The Glad Post

22 Oct

This is the post I was originally going to write yesterday, a post that betrays my inner Pollyanna and attempts to alleviate the recent somber mood of this blog. It’s important to take stock and count our blessings when everything seems to be going wrong. But the opportunity to put Jade on the ketogenic diet a month early was a better restorative than any pondering of good fortune. I was practically myself today, able to work and not bursting into tears any time someone asked me how I was doing.

Anyway, here are some of the things that I am GLAD for these days (in no particular order):

On our date last Saturday.  Yeah, we needed a break.

On our date last Saturday. Yeah, we needed a break.

1. My hubby. We’ve been together for over 10 years now, and we’ve had our ups and downs, but when push comes to shove, he is an absolute rock. He’s been the one spending uncomfortable nights in the hospital with Jade and travelling with her for her appointments. He always manages to find new games to play with Jade when I’m out of ideas, and she absolutely adores him. The last time he was out of town for a week, she asked for him every single day.

2. My family. My parents live in Germany, Michael’s parents and sister are in Ottawa, and my sister is in Vancouver, but everyone manages to support us emotionally through phone calls, Skype video calls, IMs, Facebook, and e-mails. It may seem like a small thing, but hearing Michael’s mom say, “You guys are amazing,” or my mom say, “You are so special,” is amazingly uplifting.

Having Tim living with us has been a huge blessing. Particularly because all the rest of our family is so far away, it’s been wonderful to have Jade’s uncle and godfather right here. Jade calls him “my Kim” and she wants him to pick her up whenever he comes in the door; I can’t think of a better way to illustrate how much she loves him.

3. Friends. We have friends who are willing to listen to us unload our troubles without ever reproaching us for talking too much about ourselves. Some friends have offered us food, offered to look after our animals when we go away, even offered to come watch Jade to allow us some time to get away.

Last Saturday, our friend Linda, who is an angel on earth, phoned up and insisted on coming over that afternoon to give us a few hours off. She instantly understood all about the seizure log, didn’t bat an eyelash at the lesson on using rescue medication, and was just so obviously comfortable with Jade and Jade’s seizures that we never had even a moment’s worry when we headed out the door. I actually started a blog post about her that very evening, but I didn’t get to finish it and that night was such a bad one for Jade that I didn’t have the heart to finish it next day. But boy, did it ever feel good to go out with Michael for just two hours and have a bit of a date like a normal couple.

Mmmm, apple streusel

Mmmm, apple streusel

Belly at 36 weeks.  On our date outside the Yukon Artists @ Work Gallery.

Belly at 36 weeks. On our date outside the Yukon Artists @ Work Gallery.

4. My laptop. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I am sooooo happy to finally have my laptop back, thanks to Ryan. (E-mail! Blog entries whenever I want! By blog reader!) It’s re-Vistafied (because apparently it was impossible to downgrade the BIOS to one that could run XP) but it is working much better so far. Despite the fact that the thing was basically a corpse when he got it, Ryan wouldn’t let me pay him for the time it took to get it working again. (But I’m not going to let him get away with it…)

Jade's teeth at 32-ish months

Jade's teeth at 32-ish months

5. Jade’s new molars. Even though they may have contributed to the recent bad time Jade’s been having with her seizures, I’m so glad her last molars are finally coming in so that we can get this darned teething thing over and done with at last. Jade’s teeth have all be slow to erupt (with her first one coming at age 15 months!) and the last time she had any teeth come in was in March.

6. Great kids. When we do see her come out of her medicated fog, Jade is such a happy and loving child. She delights in meeting people, and she isn’t shy to join in on games wherever she goes. She truly makes the best of things.

Nugget has been great, too. I sure haven’t been spending a lot of time worrying about him/her, with all the worries we’ve had about Jade, and s/he’s been so accommodating by kicking lots to let me know s/he’s doing well, getting into place so that I don’t have to worry about a breech birth, and not being resentful of having so few pictures taken of him/her while in utero.

Jade happy in her helmet

Jade happy in her helmet

7. You. You have no idea how much it means to me to have you share our joy and our burdens. Your comments, words of encouragement, prayers, and offers of help are such a blessing and really fortify us in our time of need. Thanks for being there for us.

15 Responses to “The Glad Post”

1. Simply Shannon October 23, 2008 at 3:35 am #

What a lovely post! I’m happy to know that you have so many wonderful people in your life.
    I love that picture of Jade! What a sweetheart.

2. Indigo Sweetwater October 23, 2008 at 4:43 am #

What a lovely post. You are so clear minded to be able to see all the good things around you. Good for you.

WOW! no teeth until 15 months? Very unusual. Was Jade having seizures at 15 months or after?

I am rooting for you all (almost four) of you. I hope the diet works for you. It’s a good thing she likes milk so much.

Jade’s seizures started at the end of May, right before she hit 28 months. These molars are the first teeth to appear since she developed epilepsy.

3. IndyComp0T1 October 23, 2008 at 5:35 am #

What a lovely blog post. You truly are blessed to have such a great support network to help you out in this time of need. Wishing you good vibes and best of luck with the keto diet!

4. jen October 23, 2008 at 6:16 am #

I can’t even imagine what your going through! Especially while your pregnant, your a very strong lady! Jade is gorgeous btw! And great Prego shot, you looking beautiful!

5. Kara October 23, 2008 at 7:00 am #

What a beautiful post. You look great Fawn- that tummy is amazing.

6. fawnahareo October 23, 2008 at 7:39 am #

Thanks, all! The funny thing is even though I’m still growing, I feel less huge than I did a month ago. What’s with that?!

7. Meandering Michael October 23, 2008 at 8:46 am #

I’m so glad that picture didn’t catch the drool coming out of my mouth.

8. Mamasphere October 23, 2008 at 1:37 pm #

I just caught up on your last six posts. What a week you’ve had! But so so so glad that it ended with the news that you’ll be starting the diet much sooner than expected (and that you get to go!).

This post seems to be the deep breathe you needed to take. Sometimes it’s hard to find, but there’s always things to be thankful for.

You are seriously the cutest pregnant woman I’ve ever seen!

9. Marianne October 23, 2008 at 4:39 pm #

The photo of Mike is charming. I haven’t seen Mike in probably a decade by now, since our high school ro maybe early university days. So when I see photos on your blog or his, I’m mildly surprised and my thought process runs along the lines of “oh, that’s right he’s a grown-up now. Wait, so am I. Ummm … when did that happen?”

10. Barbara October 23, 2008 at 6:58 pm #

I’m thankful for you, too.

Ask the midwife? Why you feel less big? Or, just give Nugget the credit for making you feel better somehow. 😉

11. Lara October 24, 2008 at 6:11 am #

You are amazing Fawn and Mike and Jade an Nugget!!! This post brought tears to my eyes… just catching up now as I read them on Facebook…

I have been keeping a grateful journal for a few years now and although I don’t write in it nightly, I do when I really need to. Or if I’m just too tired to write, I say 5 things I am grateful for out loud or in my head. It amazes me how easy it is to come up with 5 things, even on the worst of days. As simple as “the fresh fruit i had for breakfast” or as complex as “the way lorne is affectionate and touched my back today exactly when and where i want him to, without my asking”.

Sending you love,
    Lara & the Badgers

12. Charmaine October 24, 2008 at 1:49 pm #

Sorry that I did not have time to chat with you yesterday. I was late for lunch. It however reminded me that I had not had time to read your blog for a while. It’s amazing that you can still come up so many good things in this tough time! I am so glad that Jade can start the diet sooner now, really hope it will work! I will keep my fingers cross for you!

13. McMommy October 24, 2008 at 5:33 pm #

So many people love you and your family…it’s like you are surrounded with giant arms giving you one great big hug.

I am so happy to see you and the hubby out on a date, too!!

I can’t believe Nugget will be here so soon! I remember reading when you told us you were pregnant!!!

14. Asheya October 24, 2008 at 6:10 pm #

So great to hear you and Michael got a bit of a break!

And it seems like that poor second kid always gets a bit of a bum deal with lack of photos and all the pondering we had time for when we only had one, but from my limited experience it doesn’t seem to harm them any. Glad to hear you’ve got strong kicks and head down position!

15. MommyTime October 24, 2008 at 6:59 pm #

I am so sorry that things are so difficult now and that I’ve been sick and out of town and blogging MIA. And impressed with your own resilience and ability to look for happy things. Jade looks adorable in the helmet, by the way. What a cutie she is. I soooo hope that the new diet helps and good news continues to follow you. Sending much hope for an excellent Nugget arrival too!