Home free

31 Oct
Ready to go out

Ready to go out

God, it feels good to be home!  I was discharged from the hospital on Wednesday afternoon, having apparently passed the kidney stones (and also, apparently, averting the desire of one of the OBs to INDUCE LABOUR — he must be INSANE to think I could go through childbirth without first recovering from the kidney stones!) and spent the rest of the time in Vancouver running around to grocery stores and hospital appointments and cooking fiddly recipes full of cream and butter in which each ingredient must be weighed to within 0.2 grams.  So this is the first time I’ve had a chance to get back to the blog, even though I originally fully intended to keep it up to date during the whole diet initiation phase.  Yeah well, the Universe had other plans.

[Paranoia aside:  I worry that those of you who don’t actually know me in real life will start thinking that we’re making up all this stupid drama in order to get attention and sympathy.  Because I hear there are people out there sick enough to do that.]

So, I missed half the training at the hospital because of the damned kidney stones, but since we’d done so much research ourselves before going down, it really wasn’t a big deal to catch it all up in the one session I got to go to on Thursday.  Plus I got a chance to ask the questions I had.  The whole week became more about making sure Jade got a good start than it was about teaching us.  The keto team was pretty darned impressed with Michael.  (Sadly, it seems they don’t have much faith in fatherkind.  They said they get nervous when dads come without mums to keto initiation, but they didn’t say anything about mums coming without dads, which probably happens a lot more often.  Lucky us that Michael is such an awesome dad.)

As for the kidney stones, I hope to hell it’s something I never have to go through again.  Besides the joy of having to pass all your urine through a sieve (to look for stones), staying hooked up to an IV (to pump the body full of fluids), and spending your time in one of those gorgeously fashionable hospital gowns with your ass hanging out the back (because who has time for underwear when all you’re doing is sleeping and peeing?), there is the pain.  No two ways about it, the pain is awful. I spent a whole night and day on morphine — I’ve never slept so much in my life.  Every time I asked for a shot, it was after struggling with guilt and fear and going for as long as I could stand it.  If I get morphine, it means Nugget gets morphine, and I really don’t need another drug addict baby around here, yanno?  But let me tell you, I needed something to stop the pain, if only to stop all my other muscles from tensing up (my abs were very sore by the time the kidney stopped hurting).  People, I tell you solemnly, I WOULD RATHER BE IN LABOUR!

Tail dragging in the snow -- I love that this costume allowed Jade to wear warm clothes underneath!

Tail dragging in the snow — I love that this costume allowed Jade to wear warm clothes underneath!

There were some nice things about the hospital stay.  I met some very nice doctors and nurses (I LOVED the admitting doctor at Emerg).  And the hospital was close to the New Westminster waterfront, so I got to hear train whistles blowing, a romantic sound when it’s just heard from a distance.  And they did an ultrasound to check out my kidneys, ovaries, and appendix (couldn’t see the appendix because of the baby in the way), so I actually got to see Nugget’s face!  Being so late in pregnancy means there’s a lot more detail, and my sister got to see it with me.  We even watched Nugget make sucking motions with a hand in front of his/her face.  Nope, still don’t know the sex; I specifically told the tech I didn’t want to find out.

This whole week has been such a roller coaster, it’s left me extremely hormonal and emotional.  I will cry about practically anything.  The idea of other kids being sick like Jade.  The idea of other families being normal and not having sick kids like Jade.  Watching Jade hit her head yet again with an ill-timed drop seizure.  The fact that Michael had a Nanaimo bar dessert on the plane even though Jade was awake, because I really wanted one but it wouldn’t be fair for both of us to have one and not give one to Jade when she can SEE them and is asking for them.  Somehow losing my coat in Vancouver, even though I never actually wore it there.  Jade not finishing her meals, when it’s so important that she does.

I really hope a good night’s sleep will fix me up.

In the meantime, it did my heart good to watch Jade out trick-or-treating.  The neighbours were great about giving out our special non-food treats, and one of them even bought her an extra gift that Jade absolutely loved — a kit containing an activity book, paints, brushes, glitter glue, and other crafty goodies.  Plus, one of my bloggy Whitehorse friends went out of her way to find us some of the harder-to-find ingredients that are important to Jade’s new diet (36% cream, coconut oil, old-fashioned-no-sweetener-added Kool-Aid) and she’s dropping them off tomorrow morning.  And Crook and Nanuq were both well looked-after while we were away.  And my girlfriend down the street reminded me again to make a list of people to invite to a food shower she wants to organize to fill up our freezer for when Nugget arrives.  People are so good to us.

It took a few houses before Jade got brave enough to actually say "Trick or Treat".  Notice Michael's clawed face.  What a vicious lion.

It took a few houses before Jade got brave enough to actually say "Trick or Treat". Notice Michael's clawed face. Vicious lion...

14 Responses to “Home free”

1. Kara October 31, 2008 at 9:06 pm #

That was a great posting Fawn. You had me giggling so hard I was ready to pee my pants, and next second almost bawling. Damn pregnancy 🙂

Love the idea of a food shower! Wish we were closer so we could contribute.

The pictures were awesome. That lion suit is adorable on Jade.

And I am so glad that all four of you are home safe and sound.

2. Meandering Michael October 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm #

I liked it when she’d go “Rawwwwwrrrr!”

3. allmycke October 31, 2008 at 11:07 pm #

You don’t have to be pregnant to get misty-eyed over this post… or the pictures. That tail dragging in the snow is enough all on its’ own!
    Here’s to hoping and praying that you’ll all have a better November than October!

4. Stacie October 31, 2008 at 11:45 pm #

I love the scratches on Michael’s face – you guys are SO good at details!

Keep me posted on the food shower, great idea. I’d love to contribute! (you like spam right? lol)

5. Heather November 1, 2008 at 12:03 am #

Hay Fawn…
    I had the Kidny stone thing when I was pregnany too…not fun! In fact, any of my attacks (3 now) have been a million times worse than my labour was! & with a pregnancy, the dose of morphine is minimal that they can give!! The drugs barely took the edge off for me but atleast neither of us ended up delivering babies at the same time as our stones…I guess the Dr’s were worried about that with me!
    Glad you’re home now & that you had fun with Jade tonight 🙂 Smiles are everything 🙂
    And that Tail shot is WAY too cute!!
    Cheers,
    Heather

6. Jenny November 1, 2008 at 4:29 am #

I’m with you totally! Glad to be home!
    Our Walmart Great Value brand whipping cream is 36%.
    Have to compare notes later!

7. Adventures In Babywearing November 1, 2008 at 5:43 am #

If you ever need anything for the diet that I might be able to help with, let me know! SO glad all is well!

Steph

8. Catrina November 1, 2008 at 7:22 am #

Welcome home! It’s so great to hear from you directly…although Michael was really fabulous at keeping us updated here in blogland, while dealing with everything else in the ‘real world’. So happy to hear you’re feeling better.

9. Dad November 1, 2008 at 10:59 am #

You know what, kiddo. You won’t believe this. I would actually be GLAD to find out you made all these stories up just for sympathy. We’ll have Dr. Organising Machine on site in a few days to check it out 🙂

10. Simply Shannon November 1, 2008 at 1:21 pm #

You poor thing! Glad to hear that you’re feeling better now.
    Jade looked adorable in her costume! So sweet!

11. Jamie November 2, 2008 at 5:16 am #

Seriously, your life seems like a soap opera, except that they could never write this stuff for a show –no one would believe it!
    I started getting kidney stones when I had Derek, I think I have had 3 since then but mine don’t pass very quickly (it takes months of periodic pain) before I pass anything. Thankfully I haven’t had pain worse than labor, but I have a supply of demerol and tylonol 3 at home to manage it. I hope this is the only one you ever have, if you get another it probable that you will continue making them.

I couldn’t be happier that Jade is responding well to the diet! That is such good news! I don’t know how you will manage to maintian it (2-3 year olds are finicky at the best of times!), but I am sure she will adjust – they are also pretty adaptable. Your neighbors sound wonderful, that was so nice of them to do something special for Jade!

12. Nemmy November 2, 2008 at 8:05 am #

Helps that its a bacon and cream and raspberry diet… I think that I might join her on it… 😉

It was sooooo great to have you guys down, and, despite the “drama,” we’re so glad we were able to help in even some small way. And seeing Nugget suckling was so cute…

Love you muchly! And if there’s ever anything you need bought and sent from Vancouver – just ask, right? 😀

13. Barbara November 2, 2008 at 9:20 am #

Set-aside your paranoia about me – I’m definitely NOT thinking you are the type of person who uses or invents life’s drama to garner attention.

I sooo appreciate reading your life. You are quite good and entertaining and candid in sharing it with us.

14. Captain Momma November 2, 2008 at 11:03 am #

Hi Fawn,

Glad you made it back safe and sound and with baby still inside, though I am sure you are wanting it out soon!

So sorry you had to go through kidney stones, so horrible.

If you need anything for the diet that they may have here in Prince George, just ask, I’ll gladly send it up for you. We have a pretty good health food store. Planet Organic Foods might be into mass shipping for you if you explain your very urgent need for specific items. They are in Edmonton and Calgary and their selection is unlike anything I have ever seen before.

Glad she was able to have fun on Friday night, what a great idea you came up with!

Take care,