Good things today

3 Nov

We started off a bit inauspiciously with the daily fight over taking medications, and a face-smashing-into-the-floor drop seizure just as I was getting the helmet ready, but things have improved from there.

• Fewer seizures
  • Good ketones
  • A snack that went smoothly for once.  (Hurray!  I love this new recipe, and you would, too.  Whipping cream with unsweetened Baker’s chocolate and coconut oil melted into a “hot chocolate”, sweetened with stevia, and with raspberries on the side.)
  • Ordered a case of KetoCal (had to get a consent form from the dietician and she responded first thing this morning).
  • Ordered a bunch of special food flavourings from Bickford, who make their products for bakers and candy-makers, but they know all about the ketogenic diet; I couldn’t order online because their website is set up for U.S. only, but the woman on the phone was fabulous.  Phew, no having to send stuff to an American friend to ship on to us!
  • My friend Janet (a different one who doesn’t blog) sent me a message on Facebook that she’s flying into Whitehorse from Saskatoon tonight and asked if I needed anything.  I asked her if she could find liquid Stevia and liquid Sugar Twin and she’s picking up both at their local Wal-Mart!
  • Nugget is still safe and sound in utero, but his/her head is waaaaay down and fully engaged and s/he could arrive any time now!  (We hit 38 weeks on Friday.)
  • And best of all… my Mom is arriving at 1:30 this afternoon!  I really need my Mom right now and I’m SO excited that she’s just a couple of hours away.  YAY!

UPDATED TO ADD: And lunch went well, too!  She didn’t want to eat her last bit of salami (chewed it up and then spat it out) but by bribing her with the allowed raspberries, she finally ate everything up.  We’re living one meal at a time…

7 Responses to “Good things today”

1. allmycke November 3, 2008 at 11:58 am #

You have no idea how much I hope you’ll all be able to enjoy your last week(s) of pregnancy, your Mom’s visit, Jade doing well on the ketogenic diet… Surely you’ve had more than your share of “Annus Horriblis” by now!

2. Asheya November 3, 2008 at 12:53 pm #

That’s so great your mom is visiting! And I’m really glad to hear that Nugget decided to hold out a while longer and not be born in Vancouver.

Speaking of specialty foods, we’re heading down to Vancouver this week, so if you think of other hard to find stuff that you need just let me know. I’ll be checking my email.

Love and hugs.

3. Dad November 3, 2008 at 2:56 pm #

Not to mention “anus horribilis”, considering the method of administering some of Jade’s medications. Sorry, couldn’t resist 🙂

Snort!

4. Mamasphere November 3, 2008 at 4:12 pm #

So good to hear that Jade’s settling in to her new diet. Sounds like things might be getting back to normal for you all. And OUCH! A kidney stone! They didn’t laser it?

Nope, no lasers, just pushed me full of liquids so that I sloshed around a lot. That seems to have done the trick. 🙂

5. Barbara November 3, 2008 at 7:29 pm #

Typical guy, Dad. Ahem.

Cheering y’all on!

6. Bubblybunny November 4, 2008 at 12:58 am #

Glad to hear you are home and both you and Nugget are safe and sound! 🙂

It’s great that Jade is having fewer seizures. I hope this new diet will continue to help her improve her seizures. 🙂

7. Malva November 4, 2008 at 5:18 am #

Have a great visit with your mom!