I blame the hormones

5 Nov

My mom is making life so much easier.  She’s doing so much more than just feeding us and doing dishes, but even if that’s ALL she did, it would already be a huge relief.

Jade had only TWO drop seizures yesterday (down from 6, 6, 9, and 11 from the previous days) and I’ve only seen one body jerk and one very short absence.  She has so much energy today that even though we put her down for her nap (in her new big girl bed) at 1:00, she wasn’t anywhere near falling asleep until 2:00, and that was only after I went downstairs and put her diaper, pants, and socks back on her!

We’re still struggling a bit with meals, but it’s definitely getting better.  I got a gingerbread cookie recipe from the dietician (almond-flour and KetoCal formula base) that worked well for Jade’s snack today, although I had to bribe her with stickers to finish her “strawberry milk” (cream with vanilla and red food-colouring and a wee bit of water).

All in all things are going great!

And yet all I want to do is cry.  What in heaven’s name is wrong with me today?

9 Responses to “I blame the hormones”

1. Marianne November 5, 2008 at 3:32 pm #

Well, for starters you’re pregnant, which alone is enough to make any woman cry at the drop of a hat (which I always thought was some over-exaggeration due to sit coms and silly Hollywood movies until I was pregnant myself!)

But apart from that, my mother-in-law says that it is always after the worst of a crisis passes, as things get better and under control, that the primary caregiver(s) go(es) to pieces — because it’s at that time that it’s safe to do so. The woman knows what she’s talking about … she has faced many medical and behavioural crises over the years with a chronically ill husband, special needs daughter and a son who as a teen spent the better part of a year in BC children’s with a debilitating disease that appeared overnight (GBS).

Now that Jade’s seizures are coming under control, and your mom is there to help and support, and there is a calm before Nugget’s arrival … now it is safe for you to be weepy and let out some of the strain you have been under over the past months and weeks.

2. Marian November 5, 2008 at 4:30 pm #

Marianne is right. In a nutshell, it’s relief!
    Things are improving and you can let down your guard a little.
    Say hi to your Mom for me. Wish I could be there too!!!!

3. Captain Momma November 5, 2008 at 6:30 pm #

Soooo glad to hear you have awesome help now! Go ahead and cry adn let all that has piled up inside, out. I am sure it would be a major relief.

Blessings,

Kelli

4. allmycke November 5, 2008 at 8:42 pm #

They’re all correct – tension seeping out of you makes room for perfectly normal reactions.
    Go ahead and cry. Does a body good!

5. Kara November 5, 2008 at 9:39 pm #

Hurray for moms eh!

And definitely cry. I have been bawling my eyes out today over stupid stuff. These pregnancy hormones are evil.

6. jen November 6, 2008 at 12:44 pm #

I can understand the wanting to cry! I hear the hormones are harder on you when your having a girl….that is probably just another one of those old wives tales.

My 5 year old niece has CF and has to follow a diet plan, I’m fully sympathetic to the bribing to get them eat! Stickers are definately something my sister-in-law uses, plus all kinds of colorful sprinkles (don’t know if that’s allowed with Jade’s diet or not) and coloured straws. She has to get her to drink a boost with every meal and sometimes she just sits with her for hours waiting for her to do it. Some days she can be coaxed with a little reverse psychology “I bet you can’t drink that that all” or “Hey that’s my boost, what are you doing drinking my boost, it better be all there when I come back!”. And some days are a little harder, one time there was even a bribe of cutting her big brothers hair. It worked lol! It’s hard work what your doing and you should really be getting a medal!

7. taibhsearachd November 6, 2008 at 12:56 pm #

Hi Fawn. I second everything Marianne said.

By the way, I forgot to mention that when I was at Riverside Grocery getting the coconut oil, I noticed they also sold cocount flour. I’d never heard of that before but thought I should tell you in case it’s something that is Jade friendly.
    Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help…although I can see that I’ve been usurped by your mom 😉

Please say hi to her for me. Even though I don’t think I ever met her, anyone who was a friend of Susan’s is certainly a friend of mine!

8. Lara November 6, 2008 at 4:18 pm #

Oh Fawn, let it all out girl!!!! Let all that emotion out, so it doesn’t poison you and Nugget from the inside. I have had a particularly stressful week and want to cry so badly to release but can’t quite yet…. maybe you can cry some for me too. Glad to hear Nugget is good to go – cant wait for the news. I am 36 weeks now so just a few days away from full term myself. Yee Haw! Sending lots of love… and remember, cry it all out.. normal, healthy, sanity-preserving. All the women who commented above had wonderful points and I agree with all!

9. MommyTime November 6, 2008 at 7:16 pm #

Just read through the past few days. My dear, you are certainly a brave and beset one. No wonder the tears come now and then! But I will say this: as an outsider, reading through the posts since Halloween, it’s clear to me that things are so much BETTER already, now that she’s on the diet. Her seizure numbers are going down, she’s getting used to the food, you have good ideas about ways to make it tasty. You are strong and fabulous. Hug you for me, and know your family is only going to get better from here on out.