A mostly pictures post with a few useless filler words

21 Nov
Halia on November 12

Halia on November 12

Halia is just starting to be a little more wakeful.  The last two days, she’s been sleeping so much, I sometimes almost forgot we had a second child in the house.  And not that I’m complaining at all, but I was starting to worry about whether she was getting enough to eat in her little nips between naps.

Sleeping on Papa's chest - November 12

Sleeping on Papa's chest - November 12

Not to mention that my boobs were totally confused.  They were all, “Hey, girl, you were totally non-stop attached to us for the first two days of your life, insisting we get the milk machine going, and now we’re producing and you’re not having any?!”  All I can say is thank goodness for breast pads, or we’d have a lot more laundry to do.

Papa and sisters - November 12

Papa and sisters - November 12

Anyway, it seems that the sleepy phase is passing and we’re getting a little more awake time.  Which is how I was finally able to assess the colour of her eyes and decide that they’re a kind of dark blue.

She loves holding her baby sister! November 13

She loves holding her baby sister! November 13

We haven’t caught it on camera yet, but I swear she’s already smiling.  I know they say it’s just “gas” the first month, but I’m telling you, there are smiles happening.

Another look at that thumb - November 15
Halia discovers her thumb – November 15

Today marks the last day of my “official confinement” (yesterday’s whole episode will be our little secret right?) and it’s also the first day that I have not been wearing the abdominal binder Heather gave me.  I would still be wearing it, actually, except I picked Jade up when she was getting a bit squirelly and she was sitting on my hip when, in answer to the question, “Do you have to go to the potty?” she responded in the most affirmative way.  (It’s a bizarre feeling to have your underwear soaked with someone else’s pee, let me tell you.)

Hanging with Papa - November 15

Hanging with Papa - November 15

Ready for my close-up - November 18

Ready for my close-up - November 18

You might not know what an abdominal binder is.  Basically, it’s a very wide (from hips to ribcage) stretchy belt that wraps around your belly and helps everything stay put.  If anyone had advised me to bind my belly after giving birth, I would have told them, “Yeah, whatever.”  Heather said her first reaction was the same.  (“And next I’ll bind my daughter’s feet, you freak, “she added.)  But!  It really helps!  After giving birth, everything is so stretched out and saggy, it’s actually hard to breathe.  Having my belly bound was extremely supportive and helped to reduce that “hole in my middle” feeling.  I highly recommend it.

Tummy time with Jade - November 18
Tummy time with Jade – November 18

Apparently, women in Brazil and the Philippines (and probably lots of other places) always bind their stomachs after giving birth.  Well, with the reputation Brazilian women have for bikini-worthiness, just that much information should be convincing, shouldn’t it?

Sleeping baby - November 18

Sleeping baby - November 18

Tummy time - November 20

Tummy time - November 20

She turned her head!  November 20

She turned her head! November 20

Sitting up (with a little help) - November 20

Sitting up (with a little help) - November 20

10 Responses to “A mostly pictures post with a few useless filler words”

1. Mr Lady November 21, 2008 at 10:15 pm #

She’s SO precious. Duh, but still. 🙂

2. Marian November 22, 2008 at 8:29 am #

Thanks for the photos. Halia is so sweet. I love the pics with Jade smiling at her little sister….especially the tummy time one.

3. Bubblybunny November 22, 2008 at 10:47 am #

OH!! Halia is soooo adorable!!! I hope you and your family are doing well!!

4. IndyComp0T1 November 22, 2008 at 4:00 pm #

Love the pics! Newborns are so cuddly, aren’t they? 🙂

5. Asheya November 22, 2008 at 7:02 pm #

What a sweetie pie! Jade looks like a proud big sister.

Thanks for the tip about the belly belt – I’ll keep that in mind.

6. Barbara November 22, 2008 at 8:04 pm #

OMG! Those are wonderful photos! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing! Everyone looks great. Just fantastic photos.

7. Kara November 22, 2008 at 8:27 pm #

Thanks for posting the pictures!!!

And whenever you have a minute (ahahah I know, that doesn’t happen often), can you email me about the binder thingy-ma-bob?? I need to learn more!

8. Laural Out Loud November 24, 2008 at 1:59 pm #

Wow, she’s gorgeous! Now you have two incredibly sweet, gorgeous girls. And from the looks of Halia, you don’t need to be worrying about if she’s getting enough to eat. She already has pinch worthy cheeks!

9. Sarah November 24, 2008 at 4:46 pm #

I always put the Brazilian stomach-binding in the “interesting but no thanks” category of advice….along with the quaint traditions (a piece of red thread pressed on the baby’s forehead cures hiccups) to somewhat weird but culturally interesting folk remedies (if the baby is unconsolable, you should call a woman who know about these kinds of things, who will check if the feet are no longer matching in length, and then place each foot to the opposite hand over the baby’s back until the “scare” that the baby had has been cured) to the almost misogynist (baby girls should have their ears pierced by the time they are a month old..and 98% of them do!) But had I known that Heather recommends it, I would have tried it!

And to be fair to Brazilians, they all seem to love babies and and don’t seem to mind them in places where loud babies might get nasty looks in Canada (concerts, theatres, restaurants and the like.) They are also quite accepting of public breastfeeding and let mothers with babies go to the front of the line everywhere and anywhere. And the Ministry of Health places warning labels on all cow’s milk and formula packages and advertising, stating that they “should not substitute breastfeeding, which should be continued until two years of age or more.” Yep, like cigarette warning labels. It’s great.

What a cutie pie Halia is! Keep the pictures coming!

10. Aida December 1, 2008 at 8:20 pm #

saw you were nominated so wanted to check your blog..beautiful baby! i missed the smell of newborns! my culture practises stomach binding after childbirth too..i did it with my first..far too lazy to do it with my 2nd..i should hv though!