Perspective (the brackety post)

2 Dec

This afternoon I was getting supremely frustrated.  Jade was being hyper-emotional and was demanding attention.  Not unreasonably; all she wanted was to sit in my lap and be read some books.  (Over and over and over again, but still.)  Meanwhile Halia was trying to sleep but kept waking up whenever she was removed from the comfort and warmth of her milk machine (i.e. yours truly).  Halia was up until about 2:30 last night so I was tired.  (Yes, even though I stayed in bed until 10:30.)  Michael was busy working and my mom was busy making cinnamon buns.

All I wanted was for her one of them to come help me with Jade so that I could have a nap (with Halia attached, of course, since she wouldn’t sleep otherwise).  When Halia let out yet another wail after an apparently sweet 2 minutes of sleep, I actually threw a book in frustration.  (I tried to pretend I was just putting it back on the pile of library books.  Jade so called me on that.  She looked at me and scolded me with an indignant, “Hey!”)

Then I realized that I was being a spoiled brat.

The only reason I was able to stay in bed until 10:30 this morning is because my mom is here and she was able to take care of Jade while Michael got to work.  And even though I was tired this afternoon, I could have been even more tired if I were trying to look after two kids on my own.  Plus, I was getting cinnamon buns out of the deal.

Seriously, woman, get some perspective and stop whining.

Or, after the sixth reading of “Horns to Toes and in Between“, send the kid to play in the kitchen and catch a short nap on the couch with the infant.  It’s amazing how much perspective a 20-minute nap can get you.

7 Responses to “Perspective (the brackety post)”

1. Meandering Michael December 2, 2008 at 11:32 pm #

Sigh. At least you got to sleep from 2:30 to 5:30am…

Yes, yes, dear. I did say I needed some perspective. Now, for the love, get off your computer and go to sleep already!

2. Beanie December 3, 2008 at 12:25 am #

Speaking of books, did you know that they’re making a Walter The Farting Dog movie?…

3. Malva December 3, 2008 at 4:46 am #

I don’t think any new mom should have to handle a newborn and a toddler on her own so your whining is totally justified.

4. Kara December 3, 2008 at 6:52 am #

Well all I can say is I am not looking forward to the spring! I have no clue how i will handle a toddler and baby, especially if Matt is away for work!!

And I understand the repetitive book thing. Hunter has over 200 books, but he loves 20 of them to death. I hide them when I get sick of them.

5. allmycke December 3, 2008 at 10:33 am #

Sleep and food are the best restoratives there is!
    I can get all teary eyed over a stuck drawer or other dead thing that won’t co-operate if I’m hungry or over-tired. When the engine is running low or is totally empty of fuel, all bets are off!

6. Bubblybunny December 4, 2008 at 12:56 am #

I hear ya! I feel the same way sometimes about my Hubby and I only have 1 baby.

I know I shouldn’t complain because he does help me out when he’s home. Also, I am the “primary caregiver” with a year of mat leave, not him…he still has to go to work everyday. This is me talking on a good day.

On a bad day, I can’t stop thinking how he’s not helping enough, how he’s always making me change the diapers, etc. My mind is full of complaints and resentment.

Then I take a deep breath and a quick moment to myself – my Hubby is helping and so is my mom. I’m very lucky to have such support at home. They never say no when I ask for help.

Ah ha!! “Ask for help!!” That’s the trick, isn’t it? Asking for help. It’s not that they don’t want to help me; sometimes they just assume I’m doing ok and not realize I need help. I don’t need to be frustrated, all I have to do is ask!!

So next time you are frustrated, you should just ask someone to help. The help might not come immediately (eg. your mom was busy in the kitchen and can’t take the kids), but I find it’s always a relief to know help is on the way, even if it doesn’t come for another 20 minutes. 🙂

7. savvymomdotca December 5, 2008 at 12:50 pm #

I can totally relate to how you feel. And I’ve thrown a few things around in frustration, as well.

One thing that I found that helps me deal with two children with a four-year gap between them at once is the SweetPea3 MP3player. I found it on this site: http://www.savvymom.ca/index.php/newsletter/get_going/

It’s a fantastic because when I really can’t pay attention to both equally, I just give the older one the player and ask him to do a little dance for me. And it works!

Since I rotate his toys every week and download new songs to it, he hasn’t lost interest at all.

And if your child throws it in frustration, it’s bang-and-crash proof!
    Technology is grand!