Away in a manger

17 Dec

It’s been many months since I’ve been able to go to church, but a few weeks ago, our priest, Father Claude, came by to visit. He had some books and holiday activities he wanted to share with Jade; he remembered that our original plans were to be in Ottawa for Christmas, so he wanted to be sure to come by before we left. (This is just one small act that demonstrates what a thoughtful and loving man he is.)

I told him that we are now staying in Whitehorse for Christmas, but I still didn’t think I’d be able to take on the role of accompanying the choir at mass (which I’ve done for the past two years at Christmas and Easter) because my ability to sit at a piano is limited by the necessity of feeding Halia on demand.  He was very understanding about it, and the choir will be accompanied by a guitarist this year, I think.

Yesterday Father Claude phoned and asked if we might want to participate in the mass in a different way.  Every year, there is some kind of re-enactment of the Christmas story during the Christmas mass.  Halia is the newest baby in the congregation, so he asked if Michael and I would like to be Joseph and Mary, with Halia playing the part of Jesus, while Jade could be a shepherd with the other children in the congregation.  I think this would be great fun — as long as I don’t have to talk!  (My spoken French has definitely grown a little shaky in my long absence from church.)

I told him we’d love to do it.  After I hung up I asked Michael if he was okay with it.  (What, isn’t that the way things work at your house?)  Fortunately, he too was enthusiastic about the idea.  As long as he doesn’t have to talk!

9 Responses to “Away in a manger”

1. Kara December 17, 2008 at 4:37 pm #

Oh that will be so cute! You had better get someone to take pictures of it all.

2. Catrina December 17, 2008 at 4:39 pm #

That’s EXAXTLY how it works in our house! Glad to hear you’re going to get out and about a bit. We’re still patiently (for now) waiting on our own little arrival…any day now!

3. Bubblybunny December 17, 2008 at 9:39 pm #

That’s a really special way to participate in the X’mas mass! I’m sure Jade would love it. I used to be in the choir every year too and I do kind of miss doing it. 🙂

4. Geraldine December 17, 2008 at 10:00 pm #

That’s cool! I look forward to seeing pictures. We have the same program on our xmas party on the 26th 2 of my boys are in it. Ryan my 10 year old will be one of the kings and Raoul my 3 year old will be one of the farm animals.

5. Captain Momma December 17, 2008 at 11:48 pm #

That’s awesome!

Can you feed on the stage? tee hee!

Merry Christmas and blessings,

kelli

6. YukonJen December 19, 2008 at 3:33 pm #

Hi Fawn,

I’ve been terrible at following events! I’m so swamped right now (never an excuse).

Congrats on your new baby…I just read your birthing entry…late…as I am always wont to do.

I’m not coming home for Christmas this year. I have a contract that’ll end in February. I was going to celebrate Christmas then. 🙂

We’ll have another blogger’s brunch!! Complete with a keto diet.

Have a great Christmas. I’m sorry I can’t be there. (THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN). I’m heartsick for my parents.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Jennifer

7. Marian December 19, 2008 at 7:15 pm #

We were so impressed with Father Claude at Jade’s baptism. It’s too bad there aren’t more priests like him.

Wish we could be there too….hope somebody takes photos.

8. allmycke December 20, 2008 at 8:59 am #

Pictures! Pretty and please!

9. Barbara December 20, 2008 at 5:43 pm #

How wonderful! And add my plea to see photos.

Merry Christmas!