Fond farewells

30 Dec

I know that the “holiday season” isn’t really over yet, since there’s still the Big New Year’s Party to be had (though for the past three years, I think the Big New Year’s Party has really been the Big Lounging-on-the-Couch-Watching-Smallville-Fest-and-Forgetting-to-Stop-at-Midnight Party).  But right now I’m feeling that let-down feeling.  That “party’s over” feeling.

Both girls are sleeping and I ought to take advantage of that to take down the Christmas tree, but I’m not.

Today my family left my house, and all of a sudden it’s so much bigger and emptier.

My mom left just half an hour ago, after a rushed lunch and teary goodbyes.  I have loved having her here and she has been such an enormous help, getting us through the most difficult time of adjusting to Jade’s diet, when she was still having a lot of seizures, and also the huge adjustment of adding Halia to our family.  I have been able to recover my strength (and my sanity!) because she was here to make things easier.

My dad, my sister, and her husband all left early this morning.  Their flight left at 8:00, so they went to the airport for 7:00.  I was up a few times last night, a couple of times for Halia and once for Jade, so I was pretty sleepy and out of it in the wee hours.  I heard Michael showering around 6:00 and I heard the sound of luggage being moved from the guest room directly upstairs from me, but it was still early and Halia was sleeping only fitfully, so I figured I’d wait half an hour.  My eyes flew open at 7:00 when my alarm went off telling me it was time I get up to get Jade’s medicine ready.  I carefully bound out of bed so as not to wake Halia, and ran up the stairs.  My mom and Michael were in the kitchen.

“What are you doing?” I asked, slightly bewildered that there weren’t more bodies in there.

“Getting our breakfast,” said Michael.  Mom was holding the pill crusher for Jade’s medicines, still in her PJs.

“Doesn’t everyone have to be down at the airport for 7:00?” I asked.

“They’re already there,” said Michael.

“What?!  Why didn’t anyone wake me?” I screeched calmly inquired.

Oops!  Halia is awake.  To be continued later..

4 Responses to “Fond farewells”

  1. McMommy December 30, 2008 at 3:46 pm #

    Just me…stopping by to say Happy New Year’s! I’ve just caught up on some of your posts and I’m happy to hear Jade is doing so well on her special diet! You also did such a good job of explaining it…both in words and in pictures!

    Happy New Year hugs to you, Michael, Jade, & Halia!!

  2. Jenny December 30, 2008 at 4:35 pm #

    It’s GOT to be hard to have your family leave and them be so far away!
    I got up Dec 26 and had all the ornaments off the tree by 8 a.m!
    The Amish community celebrates Old Christmas on Jan 6 so lots of people leave their trees up until after that day (I used to!)
    Happy New Year!

  3. Meandering Michael December 30, 2008 at 5:31 pm #

    For the record, I wasn’t making my breakfast. I was making Jade’s.

  4. MommyTime December 30, 2008 at 7:37 pm #

    I hope you had a wonderful visit and are feeling recovered enough to launch forth, a family of four on your own. Have a wonderful New Year’s Eve!

Leave a Reply to MommyTime Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: