Fond farewells continued

31 Dec

I can see that this whole blogging with two children thing is going to be very challenging…

Anyway, once I realized everyone was gone and Michael and my mom realized I was very upset about it, Michael told me to hurry up and get my clothes on and he’d run me down to the airport.  Instead I crawled back into bed, feeling defeated, but my mom convinced me that I just might catch the others if I hurried up.

I pulled on some pants but left on my pajama top, threw on my scarf, coat, and hat.  Michael drove me down to the airport.  This is where it’s so great to live in a small town with the airport so close.  Seriously, it takes 15 minutes to walk to the airport from our house.

And the airport is small, so when I ran in and saw that they were no longer in the check-in lineup, I looked the other way to see if they were still in the security lineup.  Only Pedro was there (I think he’d been slowed up by having packed some liquids in his carry-on).  So I snuck up behind him and said, “You guys are all idiots!”

His mouth fell open.  Besides being called an idiot and not having had any coffee, I’m sure the fact that I was on the brink of tears was a little shocking.  (But that flabbergasted look!  He is so darned cute.  This visit was the first time I’d really got a chance to, get to know him a little and I’m so happy for my sister that she found such a great guy.)

So I got to say a proper goodbye to Pedro, and once he got through security, he sent my sister back out so that I could hug her goodbye, too.  My dad opted to wave at me through the window that looks into the security-cleared area.  That’s just the way my dad is, so I didn’t feel hurt.

Was I a bit juvenile?  Maybe.  But I was sleep-deprived and disappointed that not a single one of my family members thought I’d want to wak up to say goodbye to them (and go back to bed).  Sheesh, I get up in the night for the baby and the toddler, why wouldn’t I do it for them, right?

Anyway, the week’s visit was wonderful and I did get to say my goodbyes in the end.  And tonight we’ll be saying to 2008 (good riddance, I say!) so… all’s well that ends well.

8 Responses to “Fond farewells continued”

1. Kara December 31, 2008 at 3:53 pm #

I am glad you went running after them all! Crazy family, what were they thinking 🙂

Happy New Year Fawn and family!

2. Jamie January 2, 2009 at 7:25 am #

Although I rarely (actually, never) refer to him a Pedro, I think your sister is pretty lucky to have him too! Although it is reciprocal, he is pretty lucky to have her too!

3. Nemmy January 3, 2009 at 10:48 am #

I’m glad you came running after us too. Really, in our defence, we weren’t thinking… after staying up until after midnight to be slaughtered at Rummoli by your husband and then getting up early to catch the flight, our brains had pretty much shut down. Okay, that’s lame, but… at the time our reasoning to let you sleep seemed to make sense. 🙂 Loove yoouu… (said in that sing-songy voice you LOVE so much…)

4. Nemmy January 3, 2009 at 10:51 am #

Here’s that link…

5. Meandering Michael January 3, 2009 at 5:44 pm #

It really was a slaughter, wasn’t it. Heh heh.

6. Heather January 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm #

Ohhhh Fawn….my two just learned how to CLIMB…they “summit” EVERYTHING…Blogging has become, what seems an impossible challenge 🙂 & when I DO get around to it…the typos are an embarassment (I never seem to catch them till AFTER I hit Publish!

Cheers &
    Hoping all is well 🙂

7. Pedro January 4, 2009 at 10:21 pm #

Unfortunately, I did not sleep at all the night before, and the coffee just wasn’t working the way it was supposed to… That dumbfounded look on my face was actually my brain going through a thought process of trying to figure out why on earth a woman who looked and sounded like Fawn, (but couldn’t be, because she was sleeping soundly at home) was calling me an idiot in a line full of people, and what would be the correct response to this sort of confrontation on my part. Needless to say, at the time the jaw drop seemed best.

We had a really good time with y’all, thanks for the memories!

Pedro

8. Dad January 5, 2009 at 2:17 pm #

Hold your horses, kiddo – the imputed rationale for my behaviour is faulty. Keep in mind that some of us haven’t been “Whitehorsized” yet, meaning we don’t routinely operate in an environment where everyone shares hearths, cars, dogs and who-knows-what-else with everyone else, leading to a situation, where YOU could probably walk into the security area at any particular time and address 75% of the people there by first name, including the chief of security.

In the environment, where most of US (you can choose to interpret those two letters to stand for a personal pronoun or for a country) normally operate, any attempt to abandon a carry-on bag full of electronic equipment plus a clear plastic bottle full of a liquid chemical compound composed mostly of hydrogen and oxygen in the security area to then leave selfsame and sneak back into the “public area” would result in an immediate compulsory 5-year vacation in an orange jump suite at Guantanamo Bay.

Mike (Pedro) seemed to have never made it through security in the first place, so he had an easy game. And Anemone probably had him babysit HER bag so HE would go to Guantanamo Bay in a crunch with me, while she could go and hug her sister.

Tell you what, you get double-hugs when you come in the summer. In any event, I don’t know if you realize the effect your prolific blogging has on humankind, but when you more or less keep the window shades lowered permanently with lights on, figuratively speaking, farewells seem to somehow take on a different meaning – sort of like being waved off on the way to the office in the morning, knowing you’ll be back for lunch.