11 Jan

Last night was a signal night for both girls.

First, we went to our friends Karyn and Ryan’s house for a Ukrainian Christmas celebration.  (Ukrainian Christmas follows the Julian calendar, and this year fell on Wednesday.)  Ryan is an amazing cook and prepared a 12-dish feast that left everyone stuffed to the gills.

I was nervous about taking Jade to a party with lots of people, a much less controlled environment than we’ve tried so far since starting the diet.  She did great, though!  At the first, she asked about the crackers and cheese and other goodies that were out, but with minor distraction, she didn’t pursue it.

We’d prepared chicken vegetable soup for Jade’s supper; it’s one of her favourite dishes right now.  Michael helped her to eat up her soup and her cream as the rest of us started in on supper.  Then she fell to the box of toys (Karyn has an amazing collection of Barbies, trolls, and other fascinating new toys Jade had never seen before) and played happily for a while.  Halfway through supper, she wanted to sit at the table with us.  I was worried, but she just took a stuffed Pooh Bear and a Sunshine Bear and proceeded to feed them “bottles” at the table.  Then she made the rounds tickling everyone around the table.  All the guests were great about shrieking when they got tickled, which Jade enjoyed immensely.

There was one close call when an uninformed guest tried to offer Jade a bite of a bun.  Karyn and I both exclaimed, “No!” (and I think a few other people, as well) which was pretty funny.  Jade didn’t really even take notice, but that poor guest was a little embarrassed.  She offered Jade her bottle of water instead.  Jade doens’t usually care too much for water, but she kept drinking it — I guess it’s novel when it comes from a bottle!

I am so proud of Jade!  It makes life feel just a little more normal.  What a relief!

Halia was a source of entertainment, as well, and she got passed around from one guest to another.  But her big achievement came later.  She wouldn’t go to sleep when we got home.  I was working away on my laptop and trying to nurse her to sleep, but her eyes kept popping open.  I finally took her down to her room, put her into her Grobag, and nursed her in the semi-dark.  Her eyes drooped and she was asleep within a minute.  She was in her crib somewhere between 11:30 and midnight.  And then she didn’t need to be nursed again until almost 7 o’clock this morning!  Folks, I think she just had her first official “sleeping through the night” night.  I dont’ expect to see this pattern every night just yet, but it’s a start!

5 Responses to “Milestones”

  1. Kara January 11, 2009 at 11:02 am #

    Hurray on all fronts!!

  2. Jenny January 11, 2009 at 2:00 pm #

    Naomi slept great as a baby even in the hospital, she slept something like 6 hours and the nurse brought her in to wake her so she could nurse. If I’d have known then what I know now, I’d have just let her sleep. Her little brain might have needed the sleep. But I guess I’m always looking back at things and thinking “maybe if I’d…” she wouldn’t have seizures. I have a friend who has a learning disability and she used to wonder if it was because of all the tuna she at while nursing!

    Hopefully Halia will get in a good sleep pattern, then Michael may want to switch sleeping partners.

    Ha ha, you’re funny! Actually, Michael and I have been back in the same room since about Christmas. It’s been nice to be back together again! 🙂

  3. Captain Momma January 11, 2009 at 3:04 pm #

    So jealous you got Ukrainian Christmas supper!! We didn’t go this year as Daddy was gone and Levi wouldn’t have eaten much and I haven’t the energy to chase him about!!! So glad Jade did so well, seems she’s settling into her diet and knowing what is what and that’s that!

    Must have been so nice to sleep through the night!!!

    Take care,


    Well, *I* didn’t sleep through the night! Even though Halia is in her crib in the room across the hall, I can still hear when she farts around in there (sometime literally — ha!). Michael and I actually ended up talking until well after midnight, and then I was up around 5:30 when she started moving around, but she fell back asleep without my having to do anything. And I don’t really have much to complain about where her sleep is concerned, since I usually only have to get up once in the middle of the night. But I still think it’s an achievement worth noting!

  4. L. January 13, 2009 at 7:49 am #

    HURRAH! Congrats!!!! The best I have had so far was a stretch from 1-6am 🙂

  5. Bubblybunny January 13, 2009 at 4:15 pm #

    Congrats on sleeping through the night! That’s awesome!! We have a Grobag too. But I didn’t put my baby in his until he was 4 months old b/c he needed to be swaddle to sleep well. I’m glad he took to his Grobag so quickly. It’s awesome and I love it! 😀

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: