Life’s big mysteries

5 Feb

There is a camera crew coming in the morning to do a story on Michael‘s application for The Best Job in the World for CBC North’s Northbeat news program.  Which means the house needs to be taken from “disaster” to “semi-presentable”.  Which leaves my mind time to ponder life’s greater mysteries.

Such as:

• Why is it impossible for me to get to bed before midnight?
  • Why don’t they sell single rubber gloves so that right-handed people can stop stock-piling the left-handed gloves while constantly replacing the punctured right-handed ones?
  • Why can’t certain, ahem, somebodies remember to tell me their plans so that I don’t wonder what time they’ll be home?
  • Why don’t toddlers understand the word “hurry”?
  • Why would we all get colds just when there are cameras coming to the house?
  • Why do we have pets with both dark and light hair?
  • Why do lasagna recipes always tell you to start with a layer of sauce?  Doesn’t it seem like a big waste that it doesn’t all get scooped up when you serve it?

10 Responses to “Life’s big mysteries”

1. natasha the exile on Mom Street February 6, 2009 at 3:43 am #

Well, I can’t help you with all of those, but I can tell you with certainty that “toddler and hurry”, along with “toddler and patience” are mutually exclusive.

There’s just so much neat stuff in the world to see (like pinecones! and headlights! and steam coming out Mommy’s ears!) and it all needs to be seen Right Now, Right now, Right Now!

I enjoy your blog very much.

2. Janet February 6, 2009 at 4:14 am #

I also don’t know why toddlers and hurry or patience are mutually exclusive. There is really nothing we can do about, I just accept it on faith alone. Another one of those – “I don’t make the rules… I just follow them”.

However, I do have insight into why lasgna says to put sauce in first. If you don’t the bottom noodles dry out and get really crunchy and gross. It also makes it impossible to cut into squares. (Info Source: Last nights super)

3. Captain Momma February 6, 2009 at 10:28 am #

Yay! That’s so exciting!!! Who cares about the house, they’ll be focusing on Michael right???

Plug in some movies so the toddler isn’t under foot and clean like mad!!!!

Have fun,

Kelli

4. Michelle Mitchell February 6, 2009 at 9:56 pm #

Good luck to him–If I can’t have that dream job I hope he gets it 🙂

5. allmycke February 7, 2009 at 4:33 am #

I’m plugging his application and video on my Swedish blog as well – I hope he gets a lot of votes from here too!

As for the list of life mysteries, I’d like to add:
    “Why can students never remember what time the lesson starts, but are correct within nano seconds as to what time they finish?”

6. Barbara February 7, 2009 at 5:43 pm #

Janet beat me to it – exactly my answer on the lasagna and I did not have to look it up on the web. (Just gonna hafta take my word for it.)

Regarding toddlers, at least they are still small enough to pick-up and carry in an emergency. 😉

Looking forward to reading the chapter in the in the best job in the world effort.

7. Mike Rosenfeld February 8, 2009 at 1:03 pm #

I will go in on a custom order of left handed gloves with you.

8. Lara February 8, 2009 at 9:53 pm #

Lorne’s family taught me well:
    Sauce noodles cheese!
    Sauce noodles cheese! etc.

9. Bubblybunny February 13, 2009 at 9:31 am #

I’ve stopped stockpiling lefthand gloves. 😛 It’s a futile effort to be less wasteful.

I think you put sauce at the bottom so your noodles don’t stick to the dish. We always use ovenready noodles, so extra moisture is important. I always try to just put sauce and no chunky bits on bottom but my hubby always just slab on the sauce, chunks and all.

As for your toddler understanding “hurry”? Well, not to depress you, but my hubby is 34 and he still doesn’t understand the meaning of hurry. 😉 Heehee…I hope you are still not asking that same question 30 years from now. Hahaha…

10. art predator February 15, 2009 at 4:28 pm #

congrats on getting news coverage!

good luck on the best job application–we’re still working on editing our video!