I can hates new Blogger commenting

4 Mar

Blogger is a great blogging platform, it really is.  It lets you fool around with HTML so that you can personalize it completely.  It integrates with all sorts of Google widgets.  It’s used by, oh, 80 or 90% of the blogs I follow.  But the new commenting format?  I HATE it!

Quite of few of the newest blogs I’ve added to my feed reader lately use this new “Comments embedded below post” feature.  The nice thing about it is that it looks tidy and you don’t have to go off to a separate boring-looking page or pop-up window.  The bad thing?  I CAN’T USE IT!!!  And it’s driving me crazy.

I don’t know know why, but my laptop just can’t handle it, no matter what browser I’m using.  The little box pops up with the “Word verification” step and the letters I’m supposed to type in there never load.  I just get a little image that says “Loading…” and it never goes away.  And the little “handicap” sign that it supposed to give you audio doesn’t work.  One kind soul disabled the word verification step just for me, but I still couldn’t comment.  When I hit publish, my comment just disappeared.  Argh!

The worst part comes when there isn’t even an e-mail address anywhere around so that I can e-mail the author to let them know there’s a problem.

I just want to have my say.  I just want to give you some encouragement, or make a joke, or give you a helpful hint.   Other people seem to be leaving you comments with no problems.  *sob*

If you’re a technical type and you know why I’m having this issue, please do put me out of my misery.  And for any of you starting new Blogger blogs — please, for the love of Pete, pick the tried-and-true “Full page” commenting format.  You may not actually want comments from me, but who knows how many others out there are having trouble leaving you a comment?  You wouldn’t want to miss any comments, now would you?

8 Responses to “I can hates new Blogger commenting”

1. Murray March 5, 2009 at 4:33 am #

Sorry to hear about the bug. Head over to http://help.blogger.com/ and/or http://groups.google.com/group/blogger-help – you certainly won’t be the only one having this issue.

2. Jenny March 5, 2009 at 4:33 am #

Thank God you have trouble with the word verification too! I was starting to think I was dyslexic!

3. Tammy March 5, 2009 at 6:11 am #

I hadn’t tried it yet….so I’m testing on you! I find that anytime Blogger changes something, it takes forever to work the bugs out.

4. Tammy March 5, 2009 at 6:19 am #

Okay, the first time I commented, it said it had not worked. But when I came back to try again, hey! There is my comment! I don’t know. Gremlins perhaps?

5. Gen March 5, 2009 at 12:10 pm #

Alrighty, I’ve got the “full page” option on. I hope this works!

6. MommyTime March 5, 2009 at 7:01 pm #

NOW I know why I have trouble with some of the word verifications. Here’s what I have discovered, though, in my perusing of the online world: there’s not that much use to the word verifications. I turned them off because I saw so many people complaining about them, and I’ve had ONE spam comment in the six months since. It wasn’t that hard to delete it, and it seems a very small price to pay for not frustrating readers. That said, I had no idea about the embed comment from thing, so I’m glad to know about that — I just went and switched the format at my review blog to be sure that’s not keeping people out. Thanks for the head’s up! (And sorry this is so frustrating for you right now.)

7. maleesha March 6, 2009 at 9:16 am #

Yes I noticed that too…why do they have to go and CHANGE stuff anyway???

1. 2009 in review: the cop-out « Fawnahareo’s Place - January 3, 2010

[…] Blogger is a great blogging platform, it really is. […]