So very three

8 Mar

Jade had an absolutely amazing week.  You wouldn’t believe you were looking at the same girl if you’d met her a month ago and then again yesterday.  You wouldn’t believe you were looking at the same girl if you looked at her seizure records from last month compared to this one so far.  Febuary’s chart is black an blue with tick marks (and that was better than the month before it).  In March, so far there are a TOTAL of five ticks.  Five single ticks.  And two of them have question marks next to them.  Those little tick marks look positively lonely, all by themselves.  Sorry, tick marks, but I’m planning to keep you lonely like that.

I can’t even express what a miracle this is to me.  With the chattiness, the overflowing energy, the wanting to play outside, it’s not unusual for me to look at her with tears in my eyes because she is doing something so very normal.

In the middle of the week, I came out of the spare bedroom where Halia sleeps during the day to find Jade standing on the big rocking chair in the living room.  I sharply told her to sit down right now, which made her smile mischievously, showing me she knew she wasn’t supposed to be standing on the rocking chair.  But at least she did “dit down” right away.

We’re also having a battle of wills during at least parts of most of her meals.  This isn’t really new; what is new is that often it’s obvious that she is not objecting to the food, but simply exercising her power to resist.  Then there are the times when she tells me she wants something, like her “bubble drink” for instance, and then when I make it for her, well, lo and behold, she has changed her mind.  If it’s just a glass of water or keto-juice, it doesn’t matter much, but her bubble drink is one of her supplements, so once it’s made there is no room for negotiation.  This drives me crazy, of course, but since it’s part of  normal three-year-old territory, I attempt to deal with it gracefully.

I’m not always graceful, of course.  But that doesn’t mean I’m not grateful.

10 Responses to “So very three”

1. SassySandra March 8, 2009 at 11:17 am #

Fawn, you are an amazing mother…
    Keep of the great job, and keep smiling… We all scream once in a while, it’s good for our vocal cords!!!

2. Ferry Tales March 8, 2009 at 11:27 am #

That is amazing! I am so glad things are getting better so rapidly. Keep up being awesome!

3. Michelle Mitchell March 8, 2009 at 11:35 am #

That’s wonderful that she’s improved so much–what a miracle for sure!

4. allmycke March 8, 2009 at 12:01 pm #

So happy to read that Jade is doing so well. You’re amazing parents.

5. Tammy March 8, 2009 at 1:05 pm #

Yay for Jade! Only 5 ticks, in 8 days? That’s amazing! And yes, you are still allowed to get frustrated with her. Just because you’ve been through so much with her, and just because she is still struggling with health issues, does NOT mean that she isn’t a normal 3 year old. Kids her age have one job, and one job only….make Mommy crazy.

6. Captain Momma March 8, 2009 at 1:45 pm #

Praise God! What fantastic news to hear!!! Yes, the 3 year old defiance has found it’s way to the surface and Levi does that often, changing his mind in a battle of wills. Thankfully those days have to end sometime…right???

Blessings for another great week!!!

Kelli

7. Jenny March 8, 2009 at 3:48 pm #

The improvement in alertness is so worth everything! Even if seizure freedom isn’t a reality YET

8. Kara March 8, 2009 at 8:19 pm #

Hurray!! What a great start to the month.

9. Opa March 9, 2009 at 11:42 am #

So deliriously happy to see that Jade is turning into a normal three year-old. This is all the more amazing since her mother was sort of a slow developer. I don’t remember her ever getting into that battle of wills stuff in a serious way. Darn it, she didn’t even battle her piano lessons, that geeky kid. Maybe she kept it all corked up to have it available for battles with Jade.

10. Opa March 9, 2009 at 12:20 pm #

For those who missed the punchline on the previous comment – anyone who takes 30 years to develop the characteristics of a 3-year-old is a slow developer 🙂