It must be the full moon

11 Mar

My daughter is trying to kill me.  My baby daughter is trying to kill me.  It’s something every baby tries to do to its mother, I suppose, but I had forgotten the pure torture that is waking up every bloody hour in the night.  When that baby also refuses to sleep during the day, you have a recipe for Make Mommy Crazy.

It’s totally unfair that this is the first real mention of Halia in a long time because a month ago I was saying to people that Halia is the sweetest baby there ever was.  So placid, so easy-going, so smily, such a great sleeper.  (And I would have said on my blog, if only I’d been able to blog at the time, like I totally meant to.)

There must be something about hitting four months because that’s when Jade stopped sleeping through the night, too.  Not to mention the completely messed up daytime naps.  Did I mention that Halia is four months old today?

Today, Halia slept for a total of about one hour.  And in case you didn’t know it, babies are supposed to sleep a lot more than that.  Sorry, she sort of slept for more than an hour, but since all of that time was spent attached to my boobies, I don’t think it counts.  Because it only counts if Mommy gets to eat / nap / pee / check her e-mails, right?

This did lead to one of the oddest breastfeeding /multitasking moments I’ve ever had, though.  It happened at the grocery store, where I absolutely had to go today.  I’ve been putting it off for days because it’s never been the right time with kiddy schedules.  But we were running low on staples for Jade, not to mention fresh fruits and veggies for ourselves, so I asked a friend to watch Jade for an hour or two while I ran downtown with Halia.  I could only pray she wouldn’t wail the entire time, as she had all morning.

Halia smiled beatifically as I strapped her into her carseat.  A good start.  I decided to go to the Superstore rather than Extra Foods because I needed to get some Pull-Ups for Jade and the diaper selection is better there.  (She’s outgrown the first size, which I was warmly and wetly made aware of earlier this week when Jade got into my lap after her nap.  So much for getting back into my pre-preggo jeans…)

As soon as I got into the store, I realized I’d made a huge mistake.  The parking lot hadn’t looked so busy, but the checkout counter lines sure did.  But it just seemed like too much work to turn around and put the carseat back in the car and drive two blocks over to the smaller, friendlier Extra Foods store.  Maybe the lines will be better by the time I’m done, I thought.

Halia was wonderful during the entire grocery expedition.  I never once worried about wailing.  I’ve breastfed her at the Superstore before, usually in the aisle that displays shoe racks and closet organizers, because it’s a low-traffic aisle and I can pull out a step-stool to sit on.  But this time we went right by that aisle without a thought of stopping.

Then we got to checkout time.  The lines had not gotten better.  No, indeed, they had become much worse.  I knew I’d be in line for at least 15 to 20 minutes, but there was nothing for it, so I got in line.  Five minutes in, I knew that Halia wasn’t going to make it.  I couldn’t leave the line to seek the shelter of the closet aisle; we had to pick up Jade before her little playmate’s supper time.  So I talked to her.  I tickled her.  I rocked the cart back and forth.  Between occasional and ever-rarer smiles, Halia’s face got scrunchier and scrunchier until I finally knew she was going to blow.  So I popped her out of her carseat and popped her onto my breast.  Thank goodness for nursing shirts, that’s all I’ve got to say.

We inched our way forward in the line and Halia’s eyes drooped and closed.  She suckled away peacefully, half-asleep, until we got to the front of the line.  I gently put her back in the carseat so that I could unload groceries onto the conveyer belt and she stayed asleep, thank goodness.

For about 20 seconds, that is.

*sigh*

Anyway, wailing was avoided, groceries were obtained, and I now get to say that I’ve breastfed while standing in line at the grocery store.

But the other crazy thing that happened today?  When I picked Jade up from my friend’s house she told me, “So Jade said she had to pee, and she pretty much did it herself.  I just helped her with her Pull-Up and she peed in the potty.”

I think I have to go back over there and steal that magical potty.

15 Responses to “It must be the full moon”

1. Tammy March 12, 2009 at 7:42 am #

My favourite spot in Superstore was the row of seats over by the pharmacy, tucked out of sight. There was room for the cart, a seat for me, and no one ever noticed me.
    The things you do once you become a Mommy…..

• fawnahareo March 12, 2009 at 9:28 pm #

Oooh, thanks for the tip, Tammy! I didn’t know about that spot.

2. Gen March 12, 2009 at 8:57 am #

Nerves of cool, calm and collected steel, that’s what second-time moms are made of.
    I nominate you for mom of the week! 🙂

3. Jenny March 12, 2009 at 9:57 am #

Will Halia not take a pacifier? Or are you anti-pacifier. I thought I was anti-pacifier until I had a baby who would take one and was actually soothed by it! Isaiah absolutely would not have anything to do with a pacifier! I took Naomi’s away at about 7 months. She didn’t have a problem letting it go.

• fawnahareo March 12, 2009 at 11:23 am #

No, I’m not anti-pacifier. Jade still uses one and I’m not taking it away from her just yet. Halia won’t take one — I’ve tried it a few times. Jade had to be “convinced”, as well, but so far no dice with this baby…

4. Jenny March 12, 2009 at 4:01 pm #

Some people have luck with those taggie things. Like blankies with those little tags on them. Just grabbing at straws here! HA!
    Naomi’s crib had a battery pack on the bottom of the rails that was controlled by the mobile and it lightly vibrated the crib matress.
    Eventually you figure out what’s going on whether it’s something you can help or not but they’re all different! Why can’t they all be a little more alike! One of mine loved a paci the other hated it. One loved to be bundled the other hated it! You think you figure parenthood out then another little being who’s totally opposite comes along and you have to relearn!

5. Kara March 12, 2009 at 6:03 pm #

You are super-mommy!

6. Bubblybunny March 12, 2009 at 8:44 pm #

Kudos on the breastfeeding while standing in a grocery line. Hahah! You are a super-mommy indeed.

My lactation consultant tried to demonstrate to me that if the latch is correct, I can breastfeed in any position. She made me stand up in front of the mirror with a giant baby attached to my boobs, mere days after my traumatic childbirth and was still popping painkillers like gummy bears. If I wasn’t concentrating so hard on not crying out in pain, I would’ve most definitely smirked at her, roll my eyes and said, “Yeah, right…like anyone in their right mind would stand and breastfeed. Why on earth would they not use a chair?!”

I guess you just proved her right and proved me wrong! Hahaha…

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

7. Bubblybunny March 12, 2009 at 8:45 pm #

P.S. Does your friend have a musical potty?! I saw one of those at Babies R Us. *giggle* Apparently, the potty rewards each successful dripping/dropping with a musical tune!

• fawnahareo March 12, 2009 at 9:26 pm #

Haha – nope! It’s just a plain run-of-the-mill potty. Perhaps it’s just the absence of Mama and Papa – or the presence of another child who uses the potty.

8. Sarah March 12, 2009 at 9:00 pm #

I see a blog contest: “Name the weirdest places you’ve breastfed.” I’ll go first…in a cemetery. Seriously. Or maybe in a police station (applying for a visa, not getting arrested.) Or maybe it was that time in a VIA Rail train bathroom. (Normally I wouldn’t have any qualms about public breastfeeding, but the seats were facing each other and directly in front of me was a nice older couple whom I didn’t want to offend. But due to the difficulties of fitting into the bathroom, I only tried that once!)
    People should let moms with cranky/hungry babies go to the front of the line, don’t you think?

• fawnahareo March 12, 2009 at 9:25 pm #

Oooh, that’s a good idea! Anyone else have any stories? Is it bad that I laughed about breastfeeding in a cemetary?

Oh, and the lineups were FULL of cranky babies, so even though I had a similar thought (“Why don’t they have a baby line-up?”) I don’t think it would have gotten me much farther ahead.

The lady behind me did offer to unload the groceries for me, but I figured I’d have to put Halia down sometime anyway…

9. ripplebliss March 12, 2009 at 9:26 pm #

There might be something to this full moon thing. Evvy (who has been up no more than once a night for the last month, despite stomach flu and teething) was up 4 times last night and just needed “mama snah-ohs” (mama’s snuggles) to get back to sleep every time. No “toots”(gas pain). No “soose uh-oh” (dropped soothers). No “owee teef” (teething pain). Just needed snah-ohs.

I feel a bad moon a’rising. And it’s Friday the 13th tomorrow. Does not bode well for the superstitious or the sleep-deprived. Steel your nerves! 🙂

• fawnahareo March 12, 2009 at 9:27 pm #

What?! Didn’t we just HAVE one of those Friday the 13th thingymajiggers? Great, now I have Blue Rodeo in my head. Which isn’t really a problem other than I don’t know the words to that darned song!

(Evvy has the cutest vocabulary! Me wants to squish her!)

10. Nemmy March 13, 2009 at 4:30 pm #

Incidentally, we still have a package of pull-ups here… perhaps Jade will have grown into them by the next time she comes down. 😀