An update, already

1 Apr

My Oma e-mailed me today and said she was getting very worried about us, since she’s been checking my blog twice a day and finding no update.  Danke, Omi, für die Stoβ im Hosen (hihi!).  (That’s “kick in the pants” for the rest of you.  Ah, nothing like a literal translation of an idiom…)

Honestly, up until yesterday, I could have simply re-written the “if you haven’t got anything nice to say” post, I was feeling so crummy.  Michael and Jade got back on Wednesday, and Jade had been doing quite well the two days before travelling home.  After coming home, though, the next few days weren’t so great, and I was so depressed, I didn’t even feel like seeing people or talking to anyone. If you know me, you know that is completely out of character for me.

However, each day has been a little better than the last and Michael and I put our heads together and figured Jade needed some more calories.  (Yes, getting this diet right is like trying to hit a moving target.  Jade grew another 5 mm or so in the last three weeks.  What is with the growing, anyway?  Oh, yeah.  She’s three.)

Anyway, we decided to add an extra snack to Jade’s day and lo! and behold!  She’s having fewer seizures, has more energy, is waking up more alert (also waking up more, unfortunately, but what can you do?) and is actually hungry and interested in her meals!  It’s a strange truth that with this diet, eating more food can actually make you hungrier.  I say hallellujah for happily consumed meals!

Other good things… while Michael and Jade were away, I got a handle on the storage room contents that were creeping their way out of the storage room, cleaned up the master bedroom (which could officially qualify as a miracle and required the discarding of a laundry basket’s worth of t-shirts), got some sewing projects done (I don’t know how I accumulated so many sewing projects, considering I’m not much of a seamstress) and generally worked my ass off.  But with good results.  (Thanks to Carmelle and Sandi for coming and helping out so I could work with fewer interruptions.)

Also!  Today our new mother’s helper started!  Hurray!  Dishes got done!  Jade got a new playmate!  Halia giggled!

Okay, I know this is a boring post, but I need to get back into my blogging groove.  And hey, hi there!  I’m back!

15 Responses to “An update, already”

1. natasha the exile on Mom Street April 2, 2009 at 2:18 am #

I’m glad that you’re back and have some good things to report.

2. Bubblybunny April 2, 2009 at 2:30 am #

Glad you are back! I was starting to worry that something bad had happened to Jade b/c we haven’t heard from you in so long!

Don’t have time to read right now b/c my babe is crying for food. 😛

3. Lindsay April 2, 2009 at 3:29 am #

Thanks Oma! I’m glad you’re back too Fawn.

4. Kellyn April 2, 2009 at 3:46 am #

So glad that you found what works for Jade. The diet can play such a huge role in it all!

5. Jamie April 2, 2009 at 4:37 am #

I was on a diet once a few years ago that was basically a starvation diet, but the crux was that you needed to be in Ketosis for it to work. I can’t imagine how hard it must be Jades little body to be trying to grow while on it! I figure the ratios you must be trying to work out must be like trying to….um…an analogy is escaping me, but it must be really hard, and imagine it would fluctuate as her body needs fluctuate. I called your sister the other day for an update, thanks for posting one!

6. indigo April 2, 2009 at 6:51 am #

Hooray for mother’s helpers. Glad GNWT are able to provide the funding for you to receive this. The reason for it sucks but the actual help must be so grand. Sending peace, love, hugs ” up there” to all four of you. None for the dogs.

7. kara April 2, 2009 at 7:50 am #

Glad to hear news! Us blog stalkers really start to panic when there is nothing up on here 🙂

8. Barbara April 2, 2009 at 8:59 am #

NEVER boring.

Only an Oma may place her foot in your Hosen, eh? Danke from me, too, Oma.

What a life! Food is the answer to everything! Go Jade!

9. Captain Momma April 2, 2009 at 10:39 am #

Praise God! That’s great news Fawn! And you accomplished so much which I am jealous of, glancing around my house. And the Mother’s Helper, bonus, that must be at least a same weight taken off during the days! Who doesn’t like clean dishes???

Great news and good job for adding more food for her, it can’t be easy to figure out. You are doing a very good job.

Kelli

10. courtney April 2, 2009 at 3:48 pm #

yay! you’re back. glad to hear jade is doing better.

11. Scientific Chick April 2, 2009 at 4:52 pm #

Hi Fawn!

I`ve been reading for a while, but this is my first comment. I found your blog because I`m interested in epilepsy (I`m a neuroscience student). I really admire how upbeat and positive you remain with everything you guys are going through! The keto diet seems like quite the balancing act but it`s great to read that Jade is improving. Keep us posted!

12. Marianne April 2, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

Hooray for an update, and another hooray for the arrival of some help for you! I hope you will quickly find a positive difference from the extra set of hands and be able to find a new balance in your home. (That way you’ll be able to update your blog more often and all of your readers’ lives will be enhanced too!)

13. Asheya April 2, 2009 at 8:44 pm #

Great to hear that your helper has started helping! I too, have been checking your blog frequently and was glad to find an update and that things are looking up again.

14. Jenny April 3, 2009 at 3:32 am #

Doesn’t it suck that at almost 6 months we’re still “tweaking”! Frustrating trying to figure out what a growing kid needs day to day! We’re making no changes until we go visit Keto team. The dietitian said something about seeing what the Dr wants to do with meds.
    Naomi threw up her last meal seconds after I gave her meds last night! That sucks! I worried all night about her meds because I went ahead and gave her another dose because I was sure she hadn’t gotten any down. But still I worried all night! She woke up fine! I don’t know what was going on with her for a while there but she seems better, and we haven’t changed a thing! I’ll be glad to get rid of all meds just because of the pain they are when she gets sick!

15. Opa April 3, 2009 at 9:30 am #

Oh dear, for the entanglements of foreign translations.

What you actually mean is a Tritt in den Arsch – this would be the idiomatic equivalent. Germans aren’t quite as subtle as to substitute the cover for the content if you know was ich meine.

The Stoß in the Hosen is a bit ambiguous and might be the equivalent of a Royal Flush in Michael’s pun war. A Stoß is sort of what got you into this mess in the first place. Most likely without the Hosen, though, but substitute a d for the s, then re-insert the thusly modified Hosen and you get the drift.

Thank goodness your North American audience will most likely be left out of THIS pun war. I know this is a mommy blog.