Easter treat ideas

5 Apr

Easter will soon be upon us, which means people will be getting together with family, eating huge turkey dinners, and consuming loads of mediocre chocolate.  Since Jade has started the ketogenic diet, I find holiday meals rather stressful.  Christmas did go very well, but we usually spend Easter at a friend’s cabin with about 50 other unfamiliar people, doing the buffet-type thing, and my blood pressure is already slightly elevated thinking about the close supervision that will be required.  I think I might have to put a sign on Jade that says, “Severe allergies.  Do not feed ANYTHING!”

Hmmm, that’s not really how I meant to start this post.

Ahem.

Easter will soon be upon us, which means people will be getting together with family, eating huge turkey meals, and consuming loads of mediocre chocolate.  In Jade’s case, there will be no consumption of store-bought chocolate eggs, of course, but that doesn’t mean there can’t be an Easter egg hunt.  I remember the joy of hunting for Easter eggs, and it was really more about the fun of finding the eggs than about eating the chocolate, even for a confirmed chocaholic like me.  (And then the extra fun of finding a hitherto unfound Easter egg weeks later, say in a rubber boot when the first spring rains finally came to northern climes…  Mmm, nothing like the taste of cheap milk chocolate that has been lingering in a rubbery haze for a month.)

I’ve already bought a big bag of plastic eggs, which have the double advantage of being fillable with non-food items and being large and easy for Jade to find.  Also, I plan to have a stock of them to trade Jade for the chocolate eggs she will likely amass at the friend’s place.  (Good thing I’m not averse to consuming mediocre chocolate, on occasion…)

The trouble is, I need ideas for what to put in them.  We already have thousands of stickers, so some eggs will have stickers in them.  My friend Marusia also gave me an idea for a ribbony bracelet that will be fun for dancing.  I’ll probably pick up a Hot Wheels car or two, and probably some hair accessories.  So far that’s only five or six eggs, though.  What else can I put in there that isn’t going to drive me banonkers with a clutter of small plastic trinkety toys?

And I’ve thought about taking the alphabet fridge magnets we already own and sticking those in, but that really feels like cheating.

I don’t mind spending a little bit of time crafting things that will be useful or used up, but I need a little inspiration.  Any brilliant ideas out there?  Or is it just completely unrealistic for me to try to avoid the trinkety toys?

17 Responses to “Easter treat ideas”

1. Jenny April 5, 2009 at 1:01 pm #

I know you don’t have a Target, darnit! but that’s where I got a bunch of Naomi’s Easter stuff. Are they regular sized eggs? You could try some of the small size crayons or markers, they have some that aren’t much bigger than a tube of chapstick. Silly putty, play doh. Target and I think Walmart have Mr Potato head’s that look like rabbits. I got Naomi a bouncy ball that is clear, has an Easter bunny in the middle and is filled with glitter,(think bouncy snow globe), a thing that looks like an egg on the end of a little flash light that makes bright lights and spins when you push the button. Or how about just good old home made coupons. I used to make them for my parents all the time. coupon for a hug, a kiss, alone time with parents, a trip to the park. You could make pictures since she can’t read of course but you get the idea. Some where I have a recipe for resurection cookies. I may have to put that up on my blog!

2. Kara April 5, 2009 at 1:05 pm #

Balloons! Gen had stuck balloons in a few of those eggs and Hunter goes ape-shit for them.

Bouncy balls are fun and get lost easily, so a few of them would be good.

Make up homemade playdough, seal in ziplocks and put a different colour in each egg.

Have fun deciding on what to put in them!! I think we are going to do that for Hunter if we are still here for Easter. Of course I am hoping to be home for then!!

3. Marianne April 5, 2009 at 1:12 pm #

How about buying a larger item that she’s like. Photograph the item, and then cut the photo into puzzle pieces. Put a puzzle piece inside different eggs. Once she has assembled the puzzle pieces into the whole picture, ta–daaa! produce the actual toy! That way, you’re nto restircted to small and annoying things that will fit inside an egg. Instead of photographing the item, you could also photograph the location in which you’ve hidden the item (such as the bathtub).

4. indigo April 5, 2009 at 1:45 pm #

erasers, large beads (as in not the chokeable size) oriental coins (with the whole in the middle) on a ribbon; swim goggles, watch; small dolls………..dollar stores have packages of some party giveaways that are sometimes a step up from the trinket waste yer money type.

5. Gen April 5, 2009 at 2:21 pm #

The dollar store has these things (frogs, horses, eggs, human organs (!)) that you put into a mason jar and watch grow to 6x their original size over a few days. They would fit in an egg.

6. Captain Momma April 5, 2009 at 3:37 pm #

There’s so many great ideas! I won’t put in my two cents but take some of the ideas. We do non-chocolate things too.

Great photos of Halia, so precious! Looks like the Mother’s helper is helping out and giving you some time for diversion at other things, like blogging!

Kelli

7. fawnahareo April 5, 2009 at 6:42 pm #

Thanks, everyone! I’m so excited about this! Marianne, I love your idea! I thought about using puzzle pieces after I wrote this post, but your idea of using a picture is brilliant. I happen to have a puzzle maker (I know, how weird and random is that?) and some things my mom sent that I was saving as Easter presents, anyway.

8. Shannon Mac April 5, 2009 at 10:30 pm #

maggie just got a loot bag at a bday party and inside were small, adjustable bracelets that were like foam bands and they came with thick 3D stickers to decorate them with. she loves them! good luck! looks like you have tons of ideas!

and if i were you, i would TOTALLY put jade in a shirt that says that warning on it. people love kids and want to make them happy and all it takes is one well-intentioned person to mess up the diet. so if you’re really thinking about that shirt, i say thumbs up! 🙂 i suppose you could also hand out pamphlets with the info and her picture on it. as a busy mom, i would appreciate being told something like that about a child that is going to be around me. i couldn’t live with myself if i caused a problem for her. 🙂

9. Mike April 6, 2009 at 1:53 am #

Hm, wie wäre es mit Duplo (Lego) Teilen oder Playmobil, habe ich früher im Adventskalender gehabt. Übrigens: ein Stoß in die Hosen nennt man einen Tritt in den Hintern. .:)

10. Suzanne April 6, 2009 at 4:05 am #

I agree about the t-shirt — what a fantastic idea. As a mom, and a guider, I would love it, because when kids I don’t know are around at a party, I always worry that they’re going to eat something they shouldn’t. And then people don’t have to try to remember WHICH kid it is.

Other than that, I got small bottles of bubbles at the dollar store one year to stick in the eggs — added bonus is that you can give the kid the whole bottle, and even if (when!) they end up spilling it on the ground, you’re not all that upset, because you have a ton more. And hey, what did doesn’t love bubbles?

11. Scientific Chick April 6, 2009 at 7:40 am #

Wait, turkey dinner? At Easter?
    That’s so weird… Turkey is for Christmas!

Not having kids, I’m not super creative with egg-filling ideas, but I thought maybe the “main” present could be this doll, and you’d fill the eggs with the accessories? Like shoes, clothes, handbag, etc.? I know some doll lines (kind of like the “Bratz” ones) come with about a bajillion accessories you can get… But maybe Jade is too young for this?

12. Jenny April 6, 2009 at 10:45 am #

We don’t eat Turkey either for Easter. Usually it’s Ham.
    I was just thinking that after this holiday is over we’re off the hook for a while! It seems like it’s been Halloween (week they started the diet!) then Thanksgiving (or what ever it is in Canada) then Christmas, birthdays and now Easter! So after Easter the big food holidays are done with !

13. Marianne April 6, 2009 at 1:42 pm #

There are soem companies out there producing t-shirts warning about food allergies and sensitivities. Here’s a link that appeared when I googled “allergy t shirt” http://shop.cafepress.com/allergy

I have also seen temporary tattoos. Some come with a special marker, so you can add your child’s specific info.

14. Nita April 7, 2009 at 10:12 am #

You can have the shirt made right here in town – at that place on 4th downtown. Next to that restaurant…humm…the one with the great halibut that’s only open in the summer…sort of where Lilipie Lotions used to be…crap…memory going…goig…goi….g

15. Idania April 7, 2009 at 6:23 pm #

Hi Fawn,
    I have decided to follow your clue and not give Jillian chocolate for Easter, but to be fair, Jillian doesn’t like sweets very much. She does like the plastic eggs though, so we’re going to hide them around the house for her.

The t-shirt is also a great idea; at Jillian’s baptism, I saw a guest putting her finger in wine, and then giving it to Jillian! WTF! I was not impressed. I hope you have a great Easter!

16. Shannon Mac April 9, 2009 at 5:28 am #

i just remembered that putting kiddie tattoos in the eggs is another way to fill them. that’s what i’m doing!!! 🙂

17. Laural Out Loud April 9, 2009 at 7:51 pm #

Gabi’s basket is going to be full of toys this year, too! I hate the idea of her jamming tons of crappy chocolate into her body. I got her a rabbit made from GOOD chocolate, but the rest are toys. Including the stuff for inside her eggs. I’d gotten a few things at Michael’s, but this post gave me a lot of other great ideas! I didn’t see rubber stamps mentioned- I have a few of those for Gabi to hide in her eggs. It means we’ll have to do a craft, but I’m trying to be better at the whole sit down and craft thing. LOVE the idea of a picture cut into a puzzle too!

For Easter we’re totally blowing it and going out for Italian. I’m going to miss our usual ham, but I just couldn’t handle putting a dinner together this year. Have a great time at your dinner!!