The end of an era?

6 Apr

On Friday, we put Jade in her bed at 1:00 for her afternoon nap, same as usual.  Only, she didn’t nap.  She played happily in her room for an hour or so, then knocked on her door, pleading to go “Up-a-tairs?”

Saturday, no nap.

Sunday, no nap.  (But “reading” quietly on the bed when admonished.)

And today, no nap.  (Doll clothes strewn all over the room, and a pack of wipe refills emptied.)

It seems that the extra 75 calories Jade is getting at bedtime is giving her a lot of extra energy.  Not only is she awake in the night (much to Michael’s detriment), but she’s not napping in the afternoon, and except for yesterday when she broke down crying for her supper at 5 p.m. (What? Hunh? My child actually wants to eat?) she’s been making it to bedtime with no issues.

I know it had to happen sometime, but I didn’t expect it to be quite so abrupt.  And, frankly, I was rather hoping it wouldn’t happen quite so soon.

The bright side is that it will be easier to plan afternoon activities.  And maybe if she starts getting tired in the afternoons, it will be a sign for us that she needs another calorie boost.

But most likely, we’ll see a couple of hairy months of not really needing a nap, but sorta needing a nap, and oh-my-goodness the early evening will suddenly become a perfect maelstrom of exhausted whininess.  (And not just from Jade, either.)

Now there goes my nap time.

8 Responses to “The end of an era?”

1. Clare April 7, 2009 at 3:18 am #

Your last line sums up my views on nap time exactly. As Hilary’s naps disappear I find myself without the opportunity to nap myself.

I miss them.

2. Tammy April 7, 2009 at 5:04 am #

Giving up nap time was much harder on me than on the kids! They still go for “quiet time” on weekend afternoons. Aidan plays in her room, usually reading in her bed. Tannen is required to be in the bed still, but he sings, talks to his animals, and tells stories. He still needs that time away from the rest of us to make it through the day!

3. Kara April 7, 2009 at 5:25 am #

Matt keeps telling me that Hunter is fine without his naps. I am sure he is, but I am not!!! I bet as soon as Skeletor arrives Hunter will be nap free and I will be crying in a corner somewhere!

4. Geof Harries April 7, 2009 at 7:46 am #

Agreed. It is a sad day when the naps end, especially when you have another little one at home. No breaks for Mom (or Dad, in my case). As an upside, at least in our family, it meant both kids went to bed earlier in the evening.

5. Captain Momma April 7, 2009 at 2:26 pm #

I dug my claws into Levi’s nap but soon realized that with a nap he was up until 10pm. Without nap he now goes to bed at 7pm and gives me the whole evening to myself. It’s awesome! I don’t know if you can move her bedtime and if not, I really do feel for you. Losing those naps is hard.

I am glad to hear she is doing so well with the added snack at night.

Kelli

6. Jenny April 7, 2009 at 2:55 pm #

After I read this I stopped to count how much older Jade is than Naomi and when I could expect the same! I have an older child so I know the good, the bad and the UGLY of having a child stay up all day. But it does make getting errands done during the day easier if you don’t have to worry about your child getting their nap.
    I babysat a boy who came at 7:30 am, napped 8-11 ate lunch and slept again from 12:30-3 when his mom came! That was the easiest babysitting gig ever! And she still got him to go to sleep at night at 7!

7. maleesha April 8, 2009 at 6:51 pm #

Oh noes! It is just terrible with the nap ends. Sigh. Sending virtual sleep your way. If only it was real.

1. 2009 in review: the cop-out « Fawnahareo’s Place - January 3, 2010

[…] On Friday, we put Jade in her bed at 1:00 for her afternoon nap, same as usual. […]