Mother’s helper

14 Apr

Life has been so much more relaxed for the past two weeks.

(Well, except for Friday night, which I spent mostly awake and communing with a big blue bucket.  Note: I highly recommend emptying one’s garbage can of garbage before throwing up into it, otherwise disposing of the resultant mess is a big pain in the butt.  And the nose.  Some of you may have learned that valuable lesson during your college days, but I’ve never been that sick in my life.  And this was not the result of any kind of fun-fest, either.  Damned viruses.  Anyway….)

Not only have Jade’s seizures slowly but surely been easing up, but for the past two weeks, we’ve had our new “mother’s helper” coming in every day.  Hooray!  The first day that Amanda came in, I got to eat a hot lunch while listening to Halia giggling in the other room.  So much less stressful than eating bites of food in between howls of infant outrage.

Seriously, I’ve been able to be a much better mom to Halia these past two weeks.  As Amanda’s been quick learning how to prepare Jade’s meals and snacks, Halia almost never has to play second fiddle to the ketogenic diet.  I’ve even switched to cloth diapers now that I can keep (more) on top of the more-frequent diaper changes and the laundry.  (Interestingly, Halia has a mind of her own on this issue, but that’s another post.)  And we’ve been eating homemade meals made by us instead of homemade meals made by others who have stocked our freezer.  We’re starting to feel downright functional around here.

There are a couple of drawbacks.  One is that I may well start getting lazy.  Instead of washing the dishes after supper, I’m much more inclined to think, “Maybe I’ll let Amanda do those tomorrow while I clean out my e-mail Inbox.”  (But really, it’s a much better use of resources, right?  Right?)  The other is, now that Jade isn’t constantly after my attention, well, I kind of miss her.  Ridiculous, isn’t it?

Today I suggested taking both kids out for a walk while Amanda did some cleaning and keto meal prep and it felt like a nice change to have my two babies to myself.  I guess we still need to work on the routine a bit so that I can find a balance of time with Jade and time with Halia and time to do my share of the cleaning and cooking so that I still feel like the mistress of my domain.  But, hey, it’s only been two weeks, and I am not complaining in the least.  The support has been wonderful.

You should have heard Jade calling, “‘Manda! ‘Manda!” in excitement when the door openend this morning.  That was sweet music to a mother’s “I-was-up-for-hours-last-night-with-a-wide-awake-baby” ears.

Welcome, Amanda!

12 Responses to “Mother’s helper”

1. Nai-Nai April 15, 2009 at 1:57 am #

great! You can relax a little bit. Love you all

2. natasha the exile on Mom Street April 15, 2009 at 3:16 am #

I am so pleased for you. No one deserves a bit of sunshine more!

3. Kara April 15, 2009 at 3:18 am #

I am so glad it is working out so well!

4. Tammy April 15, 2009 at 5:10 am #

Sounds like good news to me! A happy, relaxed Mommy is always the best kind.

5. Scientific Chick April 15, 2009 at 9:50 am #

Getting into a routine sounds boring to many people but I totally understand your need for it, I’m routine-hungry myself. Great to hear you’re getting some help, and wow, that was good news about Jade…

6. Opa April 15, 2009 at 11:40 am #

Sheesh, when I read the introductory sentence I said to myself “yeahhh, Fawny is pregnant again” 🙂

By the way, did you ever figure out that Halia backwards is Ailah? So, if you should ever figure out how to make boys, I nominate Raladnoj as a fitting name.

• fawnahareo April 15, 2009 at 12:13 pm #

Hahaha, all around. I have never been that sick while pregnant. It was definitely something going bad in the digestive system.

7. Gen April 15, 2009 at 12:47 pm #

Clothdiapers for the second child??? I’m not even there yet! I’m glad to hear your quality of life has taken a major leap for the better.

Thanks for rescuing Fawn, Amanda!!!

8. Asheya April 15, 2009 at 4:13 pm #

That’s so great that you found someone capable to help. It’s true that when you have someone else to help look after your kids you do need to make an effort to spend time with them just you sometimes. But I’ve found it’s also really nice to be able to spend some of that one on one time with each child individually that so often gets missed out on once there’s more than one. And there’s nothing wrong with leaving the dishes for someone else and being able to keep up with emails (and your sanity!!).

9. MommyTime April 17, 2009 at 7:43 pm #

I am SOOOO delighted for you that you have some help and are getting to enjoy your girls a bit more. That is priceless, in my opinion.

I also have to say that I loved the post on your amauti, and I followed the links to the other posts, and I found myself wishing that (a) I had another tiny baby; and (b) I lived in the frozen north, just so that I could have such a fantastic and convenient (and cheerful looking!) garment. Is it considered bad etiquette, or just silly, to wear it as a winter coat once your babies outgrow it? Like, will you still wear it next winter? I’m just curious.

• fawnahareo April 18, 2009 at 7:34 pm #

Thanks, MommyTime!

To answer your question, I’m not aware of any rules of etiquette that says you can’t wear an amauti without a baby in it, but mine just doesn’t fit very well without a baby in there. In that case, the shoulders are a bit too wide and it feels kind of awkward — funny because it’s SOOO comfortable when I am wearing a baby.

That said, I will still wear the amauti next winter, as Halia can continue to ride in there. I wore Jade in it for three winters (although it was getting awkward the last winter, since she often wanted to walk). Traditionally, kids would usually continue to ride in the amaut (the “pouch” part of the amauti) until another baby came along to take his/her place, often around two or three years.

1. I’m five today « Fawnahareo’s Place - April 23, 2010

[…] 2009: Amanda joins our family and Jade experiences seizure-freedom for the first time in many […]