Things I should have done while both girls were napping today

18 Apr
  1. Done the dishes.
  2. Prepared Jade’s keto supper.
  3. Written some e-mails.
  4. Finished my taxes.
  5. Started my taxes.
  6. Finished doing some editing for Michael.
  7. Tackled the scary pile of filing.
  8. Laundry.

What I did do:

1. Ate lunch.
  2. Napped in 10-minute intervals.

Not because I was thinking, “I’ll just nap for 10 more minutes and then I’ll do X, Y, and Z.”  Nope, I kept resetting the microwave timer so that I could go check on Halia, who was sleeping in her carseat.  In the car.  Because I knew she’d wake up as soon as I moved her.  And I also knew she’d stay asleep in the car for only forty-five minutes or so, so why not just let her stay in there?

And she slept for three and a half hours.

Wow, I’m so glad it’s spring.

7 Responses to “Things I should have done while both girls were napping today”

1. Kara April 18, 2009 at 8:22 pm #

ahahah I cannot believe she slept that long!!! Glad you got some rest.

2. Lindsay April 18, 2009 at 9:41 pm #

I just had to leave a comment because this post just made me absolutely kill myself laughing…I don’t think people who don’t have children can understand the extent that we will go to to ensure our children sleep….hilarious!!!!

3. allmycke April 18, 2009 at 11:19 pm #

You’re in good company – procrastination is a fine art, developed by many generations of mothers… I have contributed much to it over the years!

4. taibhsearachd April 19, 2009 at 6:11 am #

Fawn, this made me laugh too, and prompted me to remember a story of when my oldest was a baby. For the first week we came home from the hospital, he did nothing but cry (it turns out he was allergic to the cow’s milk I was drinking but it took me a week and a helpful neighbour and La Leche League member to figure that out). Anyway, I was getting no sleep and was at the point where I was so exhausted I was hallucinating! In desperation I put Alan on top of the dryer, thinking the warmth and vibration would lull him to sleep. The dryer was in our basement, and I set up a patio lounge chair right beside the dryer so I could watch him. He did fall asleep, and so did I. However a half hour later Alan woke up screaming and soaked in sweat from the heat of the dryer!

5. Gen April 19, 2009 at 10:10 am #

Oh, I’m so jealous.

6. Bubblybunny April 19, 2009 at 6:59 pm #

Hahah…3 hours! That’s great!!

One time, I had my baby in bed, in my arms. I was in a kind of awkward position, but I figured he was only going to sleep for 30 min anyway. I’d rather wait it out than try to move and wake him up.

He left for 2 hours. And I fell asleep with him. My arm was sooo stiffed afterwards. 😛

I guess we should never underestimate the nap-power of tired babies! 😀

7. Scientific Chick April 19, 2009 at 7:48 pm #

Sleep is way better for you than dealing with boring taxes and filing and editing. Excellent decision! 🙂