Leaps and bounds

25 Apr

We’ve just completed eight consecutive days with no observed seizures.

I’d like to exclaim over that some more, but I am still nervous about tempting fate.

It’s amazing how fast I can get used to living like this.  Although I still harbour a fear of seeing a seizure, I am much more relaxed.  I’m able to watch Jade run on pavement without the urge to make her slow down and, “Be careful!”  I’ve actually let her go down the stairs without holding my hand (although I’m still there right next to her).  I haven’t even thought about putting her helmet on her, although she put it on herself a couple of days ago, just because she felt like being fashionable.

Every day this week, I have been amazed at something Jade can now do.  She’s much more stable, able to balance on one foot for longer, and to run without wobbling.  She’s stringing together more words.  (Today’s four-word sentence, “Help, please, jacket on.”)  She’s better at catching and throwing.  She’s able to use the spring-loaded scissors pretty effectively, and she’s figured out how to screw and unscrew jar tops.  She’s a lot more independent (we’re hearing a lot of “No, no, no!” these days).  She’s used her potty — or refused to, even while announcing she had to go!

Just a little over one week of seizure-freedom and I feel I’m watching a blossom unfold in fast-forward.

15 Responses to “Leaps and bounds”

1. allmycke April 26, 2009 at 1:26 am #

I’m so happy for you… the small miracles have a totally different glow to them when you’ve experienced the frightening sides of life with children.

2. Nai-Nai April 26, 2009 at 3:40 am #

Wonderful to hear about it. Love you all! (hug)

3. Barbara April 26, 2009 at 3:43 am #

Wow. Comment no. 1 says it perfectly.

Glow is good for describing this post and how it makes me feel to read it.

Praying this continues!

4. McMommy April 26, 2009 at 3:57 am #

Yay for Jade!!! That is wonderful news! Saying more prayers that this becomes the new “norm”… xoxo

5. Liliana April 26, 2009 at 4:18 am #

I have been following Jade’s progress. Seem she is getting better and better now and yes, she is growing up quickly and happier.

6. natasha the exile on Mom Street April 26, 2009 at 4:40 am #

That is fabulous news! I am thrilled for your family.

7. Clare April 26, 2009 at 5:22 am #

Great news Fawn. I love the imaging of a flower unfolding, but even more I’m loving that Jade is experiencing more and more wellness.

8. Gen April 26, 2009 at 7:43 am #

Eight days, wow!!!!! Enjoy your beautiful little girl.

9. Megan April 26, 2009 at 8:02 am #

Yayyyyyyy! That’s great, Fawn. I’m really happy for you.

10. taibhsearachd April 26, 2009 at 10:45 am #

Fabulous news! I’m sure this is just the beginning of more good things to come.

11. Jenny April 26, 2009 at 4:00 pm #

Good for Jade!! I have often wondered how long it will take before I feel comfortable that their gone! We’re having days with no clusters but no seizure free days. We don’t go back until May 22 😦
    You totally jinxed me with an earlier post about spilling canola oil! For me it was coconut oil! How do you spill a solid? Well, I had a little container I put on my dresser that I used like lotion for her and last night wanted some for my lips. I unscrewed the lid holding it sideways and oil spilled all over my night shirt, dresser and some on the carpet! It was over 80 yesterday and the coconut oil melted, it wasn’t even in the sun it was just hot upstairs! Better than snow though!

12. Marian April 26, 2009 at 4:28 pm #

So happy to hear good news…..and sending hugs and kisses to Jade (and the rest of you too!)

13. Captain Momma April 26, 2009 at 6:08 pm #

Praise God fawn! That’s fantastic! So happy to hear your great news!

14. Reid April 26, 2009 at 7:30 pm #

Every single day without seizures is a true treasure. God bless you as you continue to fight the fight. Hallelujah!!

1. I’m five today « Fawnahareo’s Place - April 23, 2010

[…] 2009: Amanda joins our family and Jade experiences seizure-freedom for the first time in many […]