A birthday post

6 May

Someone important in my life had a birthday today.

michael-head-shot

And I totally suck.  For the first time since we’ve been together, I didn’t get him a present.  I didn’t even have an idea for a present.  I did make him the Fruit Pizza he requested (as usual).  We’ve managed to consume half of it so far.  The rest is his, because he really doesn’t like to share it with anyone.

We’re not into spending big bucks for birthdays or holidays.  But I do like to do something special and thoughtful.  I like to give the kind of gift that fills a need a person didn’t even know he had.  Or that he wasn’t expecting to be filled.  Like last year, I got him a special trumpet mute so that he could play his trumpet silently in the house (using earphones).  It wasn’t a commentary on his playing, but it meant he could practice his trumpet even when Jade is asleep in the room below.

I like to find a perfect gift and put a smile on his face, just like he puts a smile on mine.

fawn-and-michael-head-shot

At least I wrote him a card.  Which shows just how much I love him, because my track record so far this year is dismal.  So far this year, my sister, my mother, and my dad have all had birthdays.  But none of them got presents or cards.  I know exactly what I want to get them, but I haven’t got around to it yet.

I blame these guys:

family-head-shot

And that’s another reason why I wanted to make sure Michael had a great birthday.  Because those kids are the best gift I’ve ever had, and he is a great dad to them.

He insists that he doesn’t want a present.  He thinks he’d rather not spend the money, but I know I’ll think of something yet.

In the meantime, happy birthday, hon.

12 Responses to “A birthday post”

1. Kara May 7, 2009 at 12:39 am #

Very sweet!

The fruit pizza looks so yummy! And that last picture is great!

2. Nai-Nai May 7, 2009 at 1:24 am #

such a nice pictures, look at Jade. Halia is so dear to her. That is the 2nd picture, she wanted to talk to her little sister. soo cute!

Happy Birthday! Michael, you missed my phone call 🙂

3. Marian May 7, 2009 at 2:28 am #

Fawn, you’re not alone as far as the gift goes. It’s the first year I haven’t sent one…and even my card will be late (insert guilt trip here). I owe him a gift and I’ll get something next time we get together (hee hee). If that isn’t incentive, what is? 🙂
    I actually can’t remember the last time I went shopping except for groceries.

4. jen May 7, 2009 at 5:31 am #

Great family photo! Don’t worry I had the same problem with my husband’s birthday last July. I still haven’t gotten him a present. I’m a bad wife. lol

5. Megan May 7, 2009 at 5:57 am #

Happy birthday, Michael!

You guys are so cute together.

6. canadianfoodiegirl May 7, 2009 at 7:15 am #

You guys look as adorable together as I remember. You’ve made a beautiful family.

-Andrea

7. Lindsay May 7, 2009 at 11:07 am #

I got all teary eyed reading this one. I think you give him a gift every year. Your love, a beautiful family, and support in all of his adventures. I’m pretty sure he’s happy with that. :o)

Happy Birthday Michael! Maybe we could skype tonight.

8. myra36 May 7, 2009 at 11:54 am #

My hubby and I stopped giving each other gifts a while ago. I guess we figured that we had everything we needed.

Don’t feel bad. Health, happiness, and love are the most precious gifts.

9. Barbara May 7, 2009 at 4:40 pm #

Those kids are the best gift he’s ever had. Too.

You.are.a.good.wife. 🙂

10. Jenny May 8, 2009 at 5:26 am #

I just got my mother day cards in the mail yesterday and they have a ways to go and will probably be late, Oh well
    We don’t do much for birthdays either. Just another day. When we need something we go get it so when a birthday comes there’s nothing special to get. I once got Bill a pillow for Christmas, yep went all out and put lots of thought into that!
    Bill’s 40th birthday is this year and I should do something special. It’s also my Dad’s 60th, Bill’s dad’s 70th and Isaiah’s 10th. All born in years ending in -9.

11. Nancy May 9, 2009 at 5:01 pm #

Happy Belated Birthday, Michael!

Wow, I didn’t recognize him with all that snow melted off his face:)

That family photo is adorable, Fawn, but I think Halia stole the show(lol)

• fawnahareo May 9, 2009 at 7:27 pm #

Hee hee! It’s spring in the Yukon — lawns and faces are emerging!

Good thing I showed all the rest of us before Halia, hunh? Poor Jade doesn’t get a fair shake at this one, since her face is hidden.