On three wheels

9 May

Jade has figured out how to power her tricycle in the last few days.  Trikes are really stupidly designed from an energy-use point of view; a bike has a chain and gears to help magnify the power of each downward pedal stroke, but a trike is pretty much like a hamster wheel for toddlers.  I actually wondered if it was even possible to pedal one of those things, but now I know that — yes! — it can be done!

I’m so excited about Jade being able to ride on her own.  She has a great sense of pride and accomplishment, and it’s great exercise for the little muscles that were out of use for such a long time.

9 Responses to “On three wheels”

1. allmycke May 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm #

How wonderful! I get choked up just watching the video.
    “Hamster wheel for toddlers” – well put!

2. Kara May 10, 2009 at 2:32 am #

Hurray for Jade!

Hunter is trying so hard to ride his, but so far just not enough coordination to get it going.

3. Marian May 10, 2009 at 5:08 am #

Fantastic….it’s great to see Jade “in action”.

4. Megan May 10, 2009 at 7:21 am #

I can report that no matter what adults may believe, it IS possible to tip a tricycle over. The helmet is a good idea.

• fawnahareo May 11, 2009 at 8:29 pm #

Michael used to hate wearing a helmet, but last year (or was it the year before?) when I pointed out that we’d be requiring Jade to wear one and had to walk the walk, he conceded defeat. It’s a rule that Jade is happy to comply with — she knows she has to wear a helmet to get on her bike and it doesn’t bother her one bit.

On Saturday morning, Jade got on the tricycle, pointed it down the neighbour’s sloping paved driveway, and almost bailed when the driveway hit the road. She managed to save it, but I could see that yes, it is indeed possible to tip a tricycle over.

5. Barbara May 10, 2009 at 12:00 pm #

Very cool! Jade on a trike and Halia drinking from a bottle!

Happy Mother’s Day!

(And I agree with the helmet being necessary, and setting the rule from the very beginning.)

6. Nai-Nai May 10, 2009 at 2:46 pm #

My best Mother’s Day’s gift to see Jade biking. I can watch over and over again. good job, Jade. Happy Mother’s Day, you are great mom.
    Love you all.

7. Nemmy May 10, 2009 at 9:05 pm #

I love how she uses her little legs to get her momentum going again. That’s problem-solving! The adorable little monkey…

8. MommyTime May 11, 2009 at 7:56 am #

Ah, springtime and bikes! Isn’t it grand? We were just outside with ours on Saturday. It was glorious. Hurray for Jade!