How do you find an apartment in Whitehorse?

18 May

A friend of mine in Nunavut is considering a move to Whitehorse, and she wants to know what the rental market is like here.  Having never looked for a rental apartment here, I really don’t know where I’d start, other than by looking at the classifieds, which are not available online.  (Well, the Star‘s are available by subscription, but the $15 hardly seems worth it just to look at one section of the Classifieds, hmmm?)

So, tell me Whitehorse peeps, what’s it like out there?  How much do apartments go for?  How hard is it to find a place?  What caveats would you give her?

23 Responses to “How do you find an apartment in Whitehorse?”

1. Kara May 18, 2009 at 7:22 am #

There is a new blog on urban yukon that I saw for just that:

• andyroo January 23, 2017 at 8:27 pm #

air b%b house for four grand a month

2. Stacie May 18, 2009 at 7:53 am #

I know of someone who just moved here from Dawson, and had to live in his van for a couple weeks because he just couldn’t find a place to rent! He would hear of a place, get there asap and it was already gone. Now he’s renting for the summer at Robert Service Campground, $400/month.

3. Tammy May 18, 2009 at 9:06 am #

Good luck to your friend….apartments here are running about $800 for a one bedroom. Cheaper is possible, depending on how picky you are. Yukon News has good classifieds, but you have to buy the paper copy.

4. Nunavut/Whitehorse(?) Blogger May 18, 2009 at 1:48 pm #

Thanks for the post, Fawn!

If others are reading this, I’m not too concerned about cost… I am currently paying over 1000 here in Nunavut, so 800 doesn’t scare me much.

Have to admit though, Stacie, your story about the guy from Dawson freaks me out a bit. The very idea of crossing the country (literally) wiht nothing on the other side is not my cup of tea.

I’m not sure how, but I guess I’ll try to get my hands on a couple paper copies of the Star and News.

If anyone knows of someone moving in the next 2 months though, keep this blogger in mind!

• ankur vohra May 29, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

hi i am moving to whitehorse in 1 st week of june and looking for a room mate if somebody intrested just text me at 3068818231 my name is ankur thanks 🙂

5. Asheya May 18, 2009 at 6:25 pm #

The rental market is very tight here. The best places to look are in the classifieds of both newspapers, and you can also check out Trader Time at ckrw.com (not as many listings, but there may be some there).

Having a pet (cat or dog) makes it even more difficult to find a place, just to give you the heads up.

Nice places run from one bedroom $800 to 3 bedroom $1500, which may or may not include utilities.

When are moving and how many bedrooms are you looking for? Do you have a job here?

All the best!

6. Marianne May 19, 2009 at 12:45 pm #

I don’t live in Whitehorse, but since the advice seems to be that the classifieds are useful, but they are only available as a hard copy. Perhaps you can find someone willing to fax you a copy of the relevant section of the classifieds, or take some digital photos and e-mail them to you. It woudl be faster than snail mail, so you wouldn’t end up with out-of-date classifieds.

7. Helena December 19, 2009 at 9:07 pm #

Thought I’d post here as well. Seeing as a Goggle on the topic is how I found this blog in the first place.

Yeah … geek that I am … I started researching places to rent long before I got into town. All the researching paid off though.

One suggestion I’d like to add for readers looking for a place is to signup for the ArtsNet mailing list before you get into town. There is a number of posts in there looking for housesitters and I think the people posting about looking for a place on there have luck with word of mouth type help.

8. Yukon Deb July 30, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

For Rent – Small basement + private bathroom
    Small open room with closet and private bathroom, plus separate bedroom.
    $650 including utilities and internet. Satellite hook up available.

Shared: laundry, kitchen, backyard/deck.

• Justien Wood August 20, 2010 at 10:33 am #

Hello The Deb,

Is this basement suite still available?
      please let me know

• Stephanie August 25, 2010 at 9:51 am #

Yukon Deb,
      My name is Stephanie and I live in Inuvik NWT. I’m a hairstylist and have been cutting in Inuvik for 3 yrs. 10 yrs total between Halifax and the NWT. I’m looking to relocate to Whitehorse and looking for housing. Is your place still available? Can be reached by email stef126@hotmail.com Thank You

• valentin pécot March 28, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

Hi,

I’m French and plan to move to Whitehorse at the beginning of July. I am currently working in Montréal, QC.
      Is your ad still available?
      If not, would you mind giving me some advices about rents? I am looking for a one bedroom, or a room in a shared house.

Thanks in advance.

• Jen Labonte May 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm #

Hi, I am very interested in your ad. I am currently moving from Montreal to Whitehorse on my own to work as a nurse. I am very quiet, no partying, no smoking girl. I do have a well traned pet cat. :S
      please contact me asap, have a month to fnd a place!
      Thank you… jennifer.labonte@hotmail.com

• Chris August 2, 2011 at 5:01 am #

Is this still available or like many other listings, “sorry already rented!”

Thanks

9. Matt August 3, 2010 at 6:41 pm #

Is this rental still open? Could you tell me a bit more about it? I’m desperately searching for a place.
    333-9317

10. Justien Wood August 20, 2010 at 10:34 am #

hello Deb,

Is this basement suite still available?
    please let me know
    (867) 633 4289
    Thanks

Justien

11. levent November 13, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

hi all you my name is levent i am living vancouver and i want to come whitehorse i am looking for a rent room or house i need you help about this.none someker and no alchol i am hardworker.i ll wait you response thans a lot pls send me email leventersoy@msn.com

12. Little Crow July 18, 2011 at 2:49 am #

This is Yukon Rent Survey by December 2010, you can look how much cost the Rent by Apartment Size and Location in Whitehorse, YT :
    Web: http://www.eco.gov.yk.ca/stats/pdf/rent_dec10.pdf

The cheapest prices :

BACHELOR – 650 – 675 Can$
    1-BEDROOM – 750 Can$
    2-BEDROOM – 800 Can$
    3+ BEDROOM – 850 Can$

I think the best way how to find apartment for rent in Whitehorse, YT is to call directly the Government of Yukon
    Executive Council Office
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
    Telephone: (867) 667-5640

… and ask them ! They must know where to rent room or apartment in Whitehorse, YT.

I am planing to go there also because I can’t find job here in Montreal – not like it use to be !!! and because of the French language here I can’t find anything to make my living !
    I love Montreal but I don’t know what is going on here now … am telling you everyone if you planing to live here in Montreal you must forget your English if you want to get ” SOME JOB !!! not even the good one but ” some job !” … ” EVEN CLEANING JOBS IN MONTREAL REQUIRE NOW FRENCH LANGUAGE ! ” I know it’s sounds crazy ! but it’s like that now in 2011 !

Take care of yourself and good luck !

Little Crow

13. Ron October 20, 2011 at 3:40 am #

Hi to everybody! I’m moving to Whitehorse from Russia. And I need some place to live) Pls, let me know is it possible to rent 1 bedroom for $800???

14. Marianna La Haye May 27, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

Hi !

My name is Marianna,
    I’m looking for an affordable place to stay preferrably in Granger area, but anywhere
    in Whitehorse will do, as long as it’s walking distance from a bus stop.

I’ll be moving to Whitehorse for a 1 year contract, in a few weeks
    you can contact me by e-mail !
    marie-hannah@hotmail.com

15. Evelyn Hnetka April 29, 2017 at 1:20 pm #

We are a retired couple wanting to move into Whitehorse from Mcquesten Yukon for medical reasons…Have been looking for 2 weeks for a 1 bedroom apartment with no luck. Rents are between 900. To 1500. For 1bd. Some shared accommodations are available. .Hope this helps.

16. CH July 19, 2017 at 4:13 am #

1 bedroom apt for rent in Whitehorse, YT . $1000 per month , utilities included. email me at blessed1@mail.com for pictures and location. Mention the site you are got my contact from.