Mixed bag

17 Jun

“Great!” I said.

“What?!” exclaimed Michael.  “It was terrible!”

“What?  No it wasn’t!” I cleverly countered.

It’s true that our trip to Ontario* was a bit of a mixed bag.  Michael was thinking about Jade getting a terrible and worrisome cold, the challenge of finding keto ingredients, the stressful drive to Mississauga to see his very sick Granny, the nights of no sleep and being in separate rooms with wakeful children, not getting to go sailing, the traffic.  And of course, he just hates being in the city.  I was thinking about the laughs with family, watching the cousins play together, the visits with dear friends, the way Jade snuggled up to Granny in her bed, the pleasure in the grandparents’ smiles.  Truly, it was a great and a terrible time.

Jade’s follow-up visit at the BC Children’s Hospital was similarly mixed.  Jade’s EEG this time looked much better than it did in February and March.  Dr. Huh was pleased to see Jade so steady, her hand tremors gone, her vocabulary improving.  However, she confirmed that the seizures we started observing in Jade’s sleep are, in fact, tonic seizures.  (This means all her muscles tense up for several seconds.)  We didn’t want to see these develop because we’ve read that having this type of seizure show up is a progression of the Myoclonic Astatic Epilepsy that indicates a poor prognosis (whatever that means, exactly…).    Dr. Huh isn’t happy to see them, either, but she says that it just means we need to be more aggressive with the diet.  So we’ll be making changes again in the near future.  Truly, a great and a terrible thing.

But in both cases, I want to let the good outweigh the bad in my mind.  There is so much good to be happy about.

And: it’s good to be home.

*I know it didn’t come up on the blog, but we suddenly decided the time was right for a trip to Ottawa and Mississauga to visit with Michael’s family.  It was so last minute that I was too busy packing and cooking keto meals to get around to blogging about it.  Oops!

14 Responses to “Mixed bag”

1. Scientific Chick June 17, 2009 at 9:43 pm #

Hey Fawn,

I’d been checking yours and Michael’s blog and I was getting worried to see no new posts in a while! Glad you had a good trip and that you keep looking at a glass half full. 🙂

2. Kara June 17, 2009 at 10:19 pm #

Good for you to keep looking at the positive side of all of your experiences!

3. Nai-Nai June 17, 2009 at 11:41 pm #

Glad you did the visites to Ottawa and Mississauga. Glad to hear your positive attitude. Keep on charging which we used to say. Love you all.

4. Barbara June 18, 2009 at 5:31 am #

Glad to see a post from you, too!

5. Tammy June 18, 2009 at 5:36 am #

I’m glad you had a good trip….Tim and I have the same “glass is half full” conversations about our trips, but the roles are reversed. I admit, I’m a pessimist, and I always seem to stress about the little things!

• fawnahareo June 18, 2009 at 5:33 pm #

To be fair, Michael’s generally not a pessimist, but being in the city and sleep-deprived takes its toll on him.

I’m definitely the one who stresses about the little things. The responsibility of remembering every little thing for myself and the girls really weighs on me. As a result, though, I enjoy a trip much more once it’s underway — it’s the prep that kills me!

6. Jackie S. Quire June 18, 2009 at 6:48 am #

Teehee, please tell me the Dr.’s real name is actually Dr. Huh?
    Complete with question mark… 😛

• fawnahareo June 18, 2009 at 5:33 pm #

*chuckle* Yes, her name really is Dr. Huh. Without a question mark, though. 😉

7. Jenny June 18, 2009 at 2:57 pm #

I’m glad your trip was mediocre (what else can I say! 🙂 ?
    I bet the grandparents thought it was great!
    Sorry to hear about Jade’s seizures in her sleep. We have another EEG in Aug. I don’t know what to expect! (except a lot of screamimg and crying while the electrodes are put on and off and a lot of glue to comb out of her thick head of hair!)

8. Captain Momma June 18, 2009 at 3:49 pm #

So glad you are OK, I was getting worried!

Glad to hear about the good things and darn it about the seizures. We’ll keep praying about it!

Glad you are back safe and sound 🙂

Kelli

9. Marian June 18, 2009 at 4:42 pm #

Thanks, Fawn. Your visit meant so much to all of us….but especially to me! It was wonderful to have my whole family together again after such a long time.
    I know it wasn’t easy for any of you, but thanks, thanks, and thanks again.
    Much love to all of you…..hugs and kisses too.
    Michael…..”terrible”? Isn’t that a little harsh? I was hoping it was “OK” for you. I knew it wouldn’t be “good”.

• fawnahareo June 18, 2009 at 5:35 pm #

He was woken up at 4:30 that morning — I don’t believe he really thought the whole trip was terrible. 🙂 I know he enjoyed spending time with you.

And I’m SOOO glad we did it!

10. Kathleen June 19, 2009 at 2:38 am #

Hi Fawn – I came across this blog and thought of you for obvious reasons…..

1. 2009 in review: the cop-out « Fawnahareo’s Place - January 3, 2010

[…] When the four of us got into Dr. Huh’s office on Monday, she asked us, “How was your trip?” […]