Halia’s new ‘do

22 Jun

People often ask me if I’m surprised to have a blonde baby.  (Not really — Michael was a blonde baby, and I am half German, after all.)  I also get asked if I think Halia’s hair will be curly, like Jade’s is.  But Halia’s hair has never shown any signs of being curly, although it does get a bit fuzzy after a bath, and then it goes right back to being a smooth wave across her forehead.

Until yesterday, that is.

Yesterday, we spent the early evening at the Takhini hotsprings.  We’ve been meaning to go for ages because Jade loves swimming and Halia enjoys her baths so much, I thought she’d love it, too.

We all enjoyed ourselves, but I was very surprised when we came home with Halia’s hair looking like this:

Halia's Curly Hair - Front

And again, from another angle:

Halia's Curly Hair - Side

Jade’s hair also gets curly when wet, but apparently Halia’s requires either hot temperatures or the presence of rejuvenating natural minerals.  Or something like that.

And what the heck, while I’m busy uploading pictures, here’s one of my favourite new Halia expressions.  It cracks me up every time.

Frowning Halia

16 Responses to “Halia’s new ‘do”

1. Jenny June 23, 2009 at 2:23 am #

People always comment on my blonde girl! Bill is white blonde! So no surprise there! My kids both have THICK hair.
    The other night we were watching TV and something came on showing some part of Canada. Bill said “I think it would be nice to drive all thorugh Canada” I said “well, I do know someone in the Yukon! We could drive there!” He doesn’t even want to drive to Florida! (about 20 hour drive)
    Thanks for clearing up Michaels buffalo in the back yard! I knew you lived more in town and was trying to imagine how one would navigate town!

2. Jenny June 23, 2009 at 2:24 am #

Oh! I do love that face of Halia’s! Such a “What the…..?”

3. Lindsay June 23, 2009 at 3:06 am #

HALIA!!!! LOVE THE FACE!!!

4. MommyTime June 23, 2009 at 4:24 am #

She is completely adorable. I love the hair. It’s a little like the blond version of what I always think of as Asian Baby Hair — the fantastically fine black hair that sticks straight up off their heads for several months, almost impossibly long. Know what I mean? And the expression? Priceless!

5. Tammy June 23, 2009 at 5:47 am #

What a CUTIE!!! That last face is a hint of what is to come, you know?!
    I haven’t been out to the Hot Springs yet this year. Now that you’ve mentioned it, that’s all I want to do!

6. Andrea June 23, 2009 at 10:57 am #

She’s so cute!

7. myra36 June 23, 2009 at 3:35 pm #

Adorable!

8. Ripplebliss June 23, 2009 at 8:13 pm #

You’ll see a lot more of THAT face when she hits, say 13 or so! 🙂 Much more cute on a lovely, chubby baby, though!

9. ian June 24, 2009 at 4:13 am #

Great pics – and great hair – that last pic is classic…

10. Scientific Chick June 24, 2009 at 9:49 am #

That last picture was truly awesome. Congrats to the photographer for snapping such an expression! 🙂

11. Bubblybunny June 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm #

Heeheeehee…….love the last pic. She’s adorable!!

12. Captain Momma June 25, 2009 at 4:20 pm #

She’s soooo cute!!! I still want to nibble those cheeks!!!

The ring sling sucked, I am back to the Storchenwiege!! I just have to prove to hubby that it will actually work for me!!! ANd I should have my Amauti by the end of July!!

I started using the diapers I made and I am getting tired of the learning curve with everything!! How often do you change cloth diapers? I find she is soaking through soooo fast.

13. Sharleen June 26, 2009 at 6:40 am #

Oh my gosh!! She is too cute!! I love her mineral enhanced curls and her pouty face!!

Sharl 🙂

14. Bobbi Janay June 27, 2009 at 9:42 pm #

Love her rosey red cheeks.

15. Lisa June 28, 2009 at 6:00 am #

So cute!

My neighbors have four kids…and three of them (plus the parents) all have dark brown hair and olive skin. And then there is one child who was born with fair skin and blonde hair. It’s interesting how the genes mix sometimes 🙂

(darling photos BTW)

16. Natasha June 28, 2009 at 8:50 pm #

Very beautiful baby!

Gabrielle has a daughter who wears 2T and a son who wears 3T.

Thanks for thinking of her!