Simple sugarless baby biscuits

2 Aug

One day when I was doing research on baby food, I came across a simple baby biscuit recipe that stuck in my brain.  Sometimes it’s handy to have easy-to-hold finger food around.  I’ve found that sticks of banana, cooked carrots, or avocado are easy to grab, but fall to pieces when baby squishes them or bites into them.  I have yet to find store-bought baby cookies that don’t include some form of sugar, and since when do babies need sugar?  (Well, for that matter, since when do any of us need sugar?  Too bad we’re all addicted…)

I made the cookies for Halia last week and just had to share the recipe because it is so damned simple.  There are two ingredients: ripe bananas and oats.

I bet you already have those in the house, don’t you?

Oats are great for babies (unless you’re avoiding all source of gluten, that is) and did you know that they’re always 100% whole grain?  The fast-cooking ones are just rolled out thin, but none of the grain is removed.

For the cookies, all you have to do is stick a couple of handfuls of oats (I used quick-cooking ones — not instant, mind you) into a food processor and whirl them until they’re fine.  Then mash up your banana and add enough oats to make a sticky dough.

Spread out the batter onto a cookie sheet (I put mine on parchment paper) in whatever shape you like (I made mine into simple rectangles).  Bake at 350 °F for 10-15 minutes until golden.  The bars will be chewy when cool.  Try one!  The natural sweetness of the banana is so yummy.

Halia was so pleased to be able to hold and munch on her own food.  Sadly, I normally don’t give her a lot of freedom with her food because I’m terrified of the carbs getting everywhere and contaminating something Jade will touch.  I bet no baby in the history of the world has ever stayed so clean while being fed.  So getting to have her own cookie was a huge privilege for her.  Just look how much she enjoyed it:

The smile would be even bigger, but she's too busy sucking on the cookie.

The smile would be even bigger, but she's too busy sucking on the cookie.

I also tried freezing the bars because I figured they’d make good teething biscuits that way.  Halia enjoyed a frozen one on our way to Fox Lake yesterday.

Here’s the recipe in it’s entirety, copied directly from this page on the Homemade Baby Food Recipes site:

Baby Oatmeal and Banana Bars

This easy recipe, sent in by a visitor to our site, produces chewy oatmeal bars for babies coping well with finger foods.

1 ripe banana
handful of oats

• Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
  • Mash the banana thoroughly.
  • Grind the oats in a food processor.
  • Combine the banana with the enough ground oats to form a sticky dough.
  • Divide the mixture into small pieces and press it into the shapes of your choice (we make simple bars).
  • Bake for around 10-15 minutes until golden brown in colour – they become harder the longer they are cooked, so keep the baking time as brief as possible if you wish to retain a chewy texture.

26 Responses to “Simple sugarless baby biscuits”

1. Nai-Nai August 3, 2009 at 12:46 am #

She is so sweet 🙂

2. Captain Momma August 3, 2009 at 2:09 pm #

Great recipe! I need to try it on the boy!!!

I was also saying this morning that we need to get our webcam set up so we can let the fam see the girl smile for real!!!

You always seem to have so much fun! We’re (ok he is), tiling the backsplash today!!!

Kelli

3. MommyTime August 3, 2009 at 5:53 pm #

What a great recipe! I tried all sorts of modified recipes when my kids were little for the very same reason — not only was sugar often the first or second ingredient on the teething cookie box, but all kinds of other things I was trying to avoid (HFCS, hydrogenated oils) were in there too. I never found a recipe this simple, and I never found one that wasn’t more crumbly than I would have liked. This seems perfect! I can’t wait to share it with my friends who have babies.

4. Gen August 3, 2009 at 7:36 pm #

Oh, this is awesome! She loves it! Thanks Fawn, I’m going to keep a container of ground oats on hand…and it’s so easy!

5. IndyComp0T1 August 4, 2009 at 3:48 am #

What an awesome recipe! I can’t wait to try it out for my little munchkin. Thanks for sharing! 😀

6. Nadia August 4, 2009 at 8:02 pm #

What a sweet babe you have there. I stumbled upon your blog through Steph’s AIB.

The recipe looks great! I will have to try it out in a couple of months for my 7 month old!

7. Andrea August 5, 2009 at 8:28 am #

Awesome. I don’t have a baby but want to try them for myself! 🙂

It’s great when you can make something healthy that ridiculously easy.

8. Evelyn August 6, 2009 at 3:57 am #

Hi… I stumbled on your recipe as I googling around trying to find some recipe for my 8 month. She’s been eating but suddenly stopped eat those baby food, all she wants is dry food. When I tried this recipe, she just love it. Thank you soooo much for sharing it..

9. Bubbly_bunny August 16, 2009 at 4:51 pm #

Oh great recipe! I will have to try that! 😀

10. tanialeclerc August 30, 2009 at 8:59 pm #

I keep meaning to give this a try. Looks great!

I also like the Arrogant Worms shirt – too cute!

11. June Stewart August 23, 2010 at 7:00 pm #

Been making cookies over 50 yrs. Want to try this one out on my neighbor’s little boy. I just found out I’m to be a Great Grandma in the Spring of 2011. I need to be to be prepared. Thank you!

12. Sadiebird May 22, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

Thank you! I’m trying hard to give my daughter basic foods before she gets a taste for all the added stuff. I look forward to trying this.

• dhannya February 7, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

it turned out too dry. I am doing something wrong.

• fawnahareo February 8, 2012 at 12:08 am #

Hmmm, maybe try a little less oat flour or cooking for a shorter time. You can also add some applesauce to make them a bit juicier — we really like the flavour combo of banana with applesauce. Hope that helps

13. Heather February 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

My 8 month old only wants to eat what he can hold in his hand and feed himself. Sometimes they just need a little snack and these look like they’ll do the trick. It’s vague measurements like “a handful” that can usually trip me up. I’ve got them in the oven right now and hopefully they turn out! Thanks for the recipe!

• fawnahareo February 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

Good luck! Let me know how they turn out. 🙂 This is a pretty forgiving recipe!

14. liz March 17, 2012 at 5:34 am #

thankyou so much for sharing this recipe! i found you when googling for a biscuit recipe to make for my g/son who turns 1 next week… bicky for his b/day party, they will be in teddy bear cutter shape…cute!

Liz

15. priti April 7, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Hi I just made these for my 10 month son and he loves them! How should these be stored, fridge or in airtight container? How long do u think they will keep for? am going on hol soon, wonder if I can wrap them individually in cling film and take them? Thanks so much Priti x

• fawnahareo April 7, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Hi Priti,

I tried to e-mail you, but there seems to be a problem with the e-mail address you left.

I’d put these biscuit in the fridge to keep them fresh. When I was making them for my daughter, I kept them in the freezer. They can be eaten frozen, or allowed to thaw.

I see no reason why you can’t wrap them individually to take along. Personally, I always just brought a small container that would fit 4 or 5 and took that along for travelling. 🙂

Have a great holiday!

16. McCracken's mayhem November 5, 2012 at 3:37 am #

Hi. Your biscuits are a great success!! Thank you.

17. Clau! January 18, 2013 at 7:09 am #

This are great, I made them and my baby love them. I took som pictures of the process and posted in my blog, I linked you back 😉

Here is the link: http://eyecandyphoto.blogspot.mx/2012/12/receta-panecitos-sin-azucar-para-bebe.html?m=0

Saludos,
    Clau!

18. Anca January 28, 2013 at 2:58 am #

Do you have to grind the oats until they turn into flour? Or somewhere in between? Thanks 🙂

19. Cloves & Ginger February 6, 2013 at 12:02 am #

Hey,

I love this simple recipe. I’ve just included a link to them in my own blog: http://clovesandginger.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/easy-fruit-chews/

I hope that’s OK. Thank you for such a great idea.

1. Panecitos para mi Jos | Sisy Garza – Estilo de Vida Funcional - May 21, 2012

[…] ver la receta original da click aquí —> https://fawnahareo.com/2009/08/02/simple-sugarless-baby-biscuits/ Tweet var firstPostImage = $("#entry-3785 img:first").attr('src'); […]

2. Easy fruit chews « Cloves & Ginger - February 5, 2013

[…] found this recipe. Freya loves them and I quite like them too! No processed food, flour or sugar: just good […]

3. Panecitos para mi Jos - Sisy Garza *Estilo de Vida Funcional* - June 8, 2017